Status: A story oriented between making tough choices in life.

My Backbone

My Backbone (Part Two)

[Scene 14]

NURSE 2 - Doctor Mark, here's your next patient.

MARK - Get him in.

(the patient is rolled in with an adult)

GEORGE - Hello Doctor.

MARK - Take a seat.

GEORGE - My mother had a stroke yesterday.

MARK - I see...

GEORGE - We consulted a Cardiologist to come in to check on her system. Apart from that, a clinic doctor said she has some damage in her left side.

MARK - Yes, yes, it happens. You've covered the charges right?

GEORGE - Yes.

MARK - Okay then. We'll conduct her surgery in another 10 minutes. Please wait outside.

NURSE 2 - Come sir.

(Nurse takes George out - Mark attends to the patient)

MARK - Hmm...(taps the patient's left arm with a wooden stick) do you feel anything?

PATIENT - (High pitched voice) A-A bit!

MARK - Hmm....(taps again on her leg) now?

PATIENT - No.

(Mark taps her left side a few more times and writes his observations down)

MARK - Hmm....alright. Nothing to worry about, miss. You'll be able to walk later on.

PATIENT - Y-You're sure?

MARK - No need to worry. We'll just have to fix some minor damages on your left side. It seems that your reflex arc isn't functioning.

PATIENT - O-Okay then.

MARK - Would you like anything?

PATIENT - W-Water.

MARK - Nurse! get her some water!

(Lisa and the Nurse walk in - Mark becomes nervous)

LISA - (Avoids Mark and attends to the patient) Hi miss, I'm doctor Lisa.

PATIENT - H-Hi dear! w-where have you been?

LISA - Just been around here. Don't worry, I've just come to check your pulse and blood pressure.

(Lisa checks her pulse and writes down the readings)

LISA - Hmm....seems a bit down.

PATIENT - Is it?

LISA - Nothing to worry. Once you have your operation with me, everything will be alright.

PATIENT - I hope so, dear.

(Lisa checks her blood pressure)

LISA - Blood pressure is a bit high. That'll stabilize after operation. Um....Doctor Mark?

MARK - Y-Yes?

LISA - Can I have her report?

MARK - H-Here (hands it over to her).

(Lisa goes over it and returns it back to him)

LISA - It seems just a part of her Aorta is experiencing some strain.

MARK - I see...

LISA - Once you're down, give me a call. I'll come and check to see any improvement.

MARK - O-Okay.

(Lisa leaves - Mark watches her leave. Mark's crew enter)

MARK - R-Right then. Shall we start, miss?

PATIENT - I'll be fine, right?

MARK - You'll be fine. Nurse? get her on the bed.

(Nurse gets her on the bed)

MARK - Anesthesia.

NURSE 3 - Miss, what flavour do you like? mango or strawberry?

PATIENT - Mango please.

NURSE 3 - Okay (places a mask over her nose and mouth - mango anesthetic).

(Patient falls asleep - Mark conducts the surgery)

[Scene 15]

(After Surgery)

NURSE 2 - Madam? are you okay?

PATIENT - Y-Yes, w-what happened?

NURSE 3 - Your surgery is done!

PATIENT - Already? how long was I asleep for?

NURSE 3 - About an hour and a half.

PATIENT - And I didn't know.

MARK - Hehehe, don't worry. You'll be okay soon. Just stay comfortable where you are. No sudden movements, alright?

PATIENT - Sure. Thanks doc!

MARK - Hehehe, you're welcome.

(Mark leaves the operation room)

GEORGE - How is she, doctor?

MARK - Yes, it went well. She had a minor damage in her reflex arc. She's perfectly fine now, you can go see her. Just make sure she makes no sudden movements for 24 hours. We've given her a vaccine to stabilize things.

GEORGE - Thank you doctor.

(George and Mark go in)

GEORGE - How are you ma?

PATIENT - Am fine dear, just fine.

GEORGE - No sudden movements alright? for 24 hours.

PATIENT - That long? but why?

(meanwhile)

MARK - (Calls up Lisa) U-Um....Lisa? s-surgery was successful. Please do drop by (drops the call).

(meanwhile)

PATIENT - Oh I see....

GEORGE - You feel a bit tingly anywhere?

PATIENT - Just on my left side. All of a sudden, I feel some stuff.

NURSE 2 - Your receptors are slowly starting to work.

GEORGE - I see...

[Scene 16]

(Lisa enters the room)

LISA - Alright then, how are you doing, madam?

PATIENT - Fine dear. I was asleep for like, how long?

LISA - Hehehe. Don't worry, I'll just check to see any improvement.

(Lisa checks her blood pressure and pulse)

LISA - Hmm...(writes her observations down) Pretty much the same.

PATIENT - I thought I would get better.

LISA - Right, but he was working on your nervous system. Parts of your Aorta are still experiencing some strain.

PATIENT - Okay then.

LISA - What was the case?

MARK - U-Um...her receptors apparently were malfunctioning, mostly on her left side. This made it hard for her to detect stimuli.

LISA - I see.

MARK - We've given her a vaccine, you can take her in tomorrow afternoon.

LISA - Right, right. Okay, that's fine. Thank you very much.

MARK - Your welcome. Nurse? you can take her back to the ICU.

NURSE 2 - Yes, doctor.

(Nurse leaves with the Patient and George)

[Scene 17]

(Mark's home)

NANCY - Alright now, Ned? Ned!

NED - D-Deh?

NANCY - Time for snackers!

NED - Sna-sna...

NANCY - That's it, that's it. Walk down the steps....slowly.

(Ned rushes at first)

NANCY - Slowly! you're going to fall and hurt yourself. Slow....and gentle.

NED - Hehehe.....

NANCY - Cheerios? (shakes the cheerios box)

NED - Ha! Ha! Ha!!

NANCY - Alright, alright. No fuss....sit in your chair. I'll get the food ready.

[Scene 18]

(Lisa's Room)

LISA - I've given her the painkiller, so that she doesn't experience too much irritation in her chest.

GEORGE - Would it be serious?

LISA - No, no. I only because I've cleared the block in the Aorta. She's had a plaque build up in the vessel. We've inserted something like a inflatable balloon in side, to increase the cross sectional area of the vessel.

GEORGE - Right then, is there anything else? medication or special diet?

LISA - Nothing serious. I can't give advice on her nervous responses. Speaking about that (dials Mark) Hello? Doctor Mark? yes, please come over, thank you (puts down the phone). As I was saying, I can advice on the cardiac aspects of things. The build up of plaque is primarily due to consumption of fatty food and salts. Here onwards, just give her a controlled diet with less salt and fat proportions. Otherwise, her heart rate is only just below par for her. It'll get better within a few days.

(Mark enters)

MARK - You called?

LISA - Yes. I've given her a special diet request. Anything from your side?

MARK - Yes, yes. Um....do make sure you don't do intensive physical work. Track records say she's um....68?

GEORGE - Yes.

MARK - Yes, so there's no reason why she can't exercise. Just make sure she doesn't push it to the limits. Exercises such as the usual stretches, yoga, maybe even a jog if she's into it. Nothing more than that, do you think so Doctor Lisa?

LISA - Yes, I feel this would do her good. Anything else?

GEORGE - Medication?

LISA - Not really. If you insist, you yourself can get her some energy drinks - glucose type of energy drinks. This is so that her blood flow and activeness is stimulated. Otherwise, she could result to sluggishness.

MARK - Nothing from my side. Just take care.

GEORGE - Thank you very much.

LISA - Right then, have a good day!

(Mark is still waiting in her room)

LISA - (Notices him) Um...Mark?

MARK - (Snaps awake) Yes, yes, you called?

LISA - We're done. You wanted to ask me something?

MARK - Um....n-not that I can think of. You?

LISA - Nothing much. Mark, I-I've got to finish her medical reports before submission. If you mind....

MARK - Yes, yes. Sorry, sorry to bother. You carry on (leaves the room).

[Scene 19]

(Back home - before going to sleep)

MARK - So yes, we uh...we finally worked together. It was fun, what do you think?

NED - Uh...hehehe!

MARK - Hehe....thought so. I don't know, Ned. She's driving me crazy.

NED - Eh? lalalala?

MARK - No, no, not lalalala type of crazy. I mean, she's tickling my heart. You know....(tickles Ned).

NED - Hahaha! hahaha!

MARK - You see? t-that's what she's doing to me right now.

NED - Ooh....(tickles Mark).

MARK - Hey! come on! stop! stop! hahaha. Trying to be funny huh?

NED - Hehehe.

MARK - You're probably the only person of....your type.....who does good comedy.

NED - Eh?!

MARK - You...hahaha....me.

NED - Oh....Oh! hahaha.

MARK - (Huge breath relief) How should I get close to her? you have any ideas?

NED - Hmm....eh?

MARK - I want a wife, who truly loves me. You want a sister, and someone like a mother to look after you. I can't do that if I don't get close to her. Ideas?

NED - (Gets up and hands him a Rubik's cube) Deh?

MARK - This is going to help me? explain.

NED - (Takes the Rubik's cube and twists it, to his astonishment) Oh!!

MARK - That's how it works.

(Ned twists it in front of Mark)

MARK - (Takes the Rubik's cube in hand) Let me see if I get you. You want me to (twists a part of cube) try out, every combination, every possible way (twists a part of a cube) until I, get everything right?

NED - Poko?

MARK - Now you want diapers?

NED - Poko Poko Poko!

MARK - I guess I can take your idea. (Whispers) Like I never thought that in the first place.

[Scene 20]

(Heavy traffic down the road)

MR. FREDRICK - (On his bike) Hey you! get a move on already! I'm late to work y'know!

DRIVER 1 - We all are, you duck!

MR. FREDRICK - You watch your mouth! a friend of mine's a lawyer! better be careful!

(Green light)

MR. FREDRICK - About time (crosses the junction and gets hit by a truck, by accident) Ah!!! (hits the back of his head and unconscious).

PERSON 1 - Guys!! guys!! we have a man down! man down!

(crowd gathers around the man)

PERSON 2 - (On the phone) Hello? ambulance? there's an accident on Junction 5, Cecil Street.

(Ambulance show up)

POLICE OFFICER - Who's the driver?

DRIVER 2 - It's me.

POLICE OFFICER - What's the matter with you? drunk and driving?

DRIVER 2 - No.

POLICE OFFICER - Constable! hand me that breathalyzer.

DRIVER 2 - Sir, please don't do this.

(Ambulance moves off)

[Scene 21]

(In Hospital - Mr. Fredrick rushed into ICU)

NURSE 5 - Okay, hold on sir. Don't panic, we're getting you into ICU. Is there anyone coming to help?

(Mr. Fredrick struggles to hand over his cell phone, and tells the Nurse to call a specific person)

NURSE 5 - Hello? are you Mr. Fredrick's daughter? yes, your father met with an accident. Please, come immediately.

(In ICU)

DOCTOR - Is this Mr. Fredrick?

NURSE 5 - Yes, doctor.

DOCTOR - Alright then (examines the injuries. He notices an impact bump on the back of his head). Oh, that's going to be painful.

NURSE 5 - What's the case?

DOCTOR - There are cuts and scars mostly on his right side. I feel, we can control the bleeding easily. Otherwise, he has a huge bump on the back of head. We need to arrange for an operation.

[Scene 22]

MARK - (On the phone) Hello? okay, I'll be there.

(he goes to see Mr. Fredrick)

NURSE 5 - Doctor Mark, he's Mr. Fredrick.

MARK - Doctor Paul?

DOCTOR - You'll have to rush him in for operation. He has a huge bump on the back of his head. He's mildly conscious. Please check to see if he's going to be fine, if not conduct the operation.

(Lisa enters)

LISA - Dad? Dad!! (crying over to seeing his father)

MARK - Y-Your father?

LISA - (In tears) Yes, i-is he fine? oh my god, so much blood loss.

DOCTOR - Just a pint of blood will be enough. What blood group is he?

LISA - B Positive.

DOCTOR - You can contact blood donors for your father. In the mean time, Mark here will be testing his reflexes. He may need to undergo operation.

LISA - M-Mark, b-be careful.

MARK - D-Don't worry. I'll take good care of your father.

LISA - Thanks (leaves).

[Scene 23]

(Mark's room)

MARK - Mr. Fredrick? Mr. Fredrick? I know you're not fully awake. I hope you can still listen to me. I'm Doctor Mark, I'll be testing your reflexes. Don't worry, you daughter, s-she's also coming to help out.

MR. FREDRICK - (Faint voice) E-Eh.

MARK - Now then (taps on about his body and sees that his reflexes are quite okay). Oh, that's a huge bump on the back of your head. What's your name?

(Mr. Fredrick says he doesn't know in a faint voice)

MARK - Who's your daughter?

(Mr. Fredrick says he doesn't know in a faint voice)

MARK - Hmm....who am I?

(Mr. Fredrick says he doesn't know in a faint voice)

MARK - I see....short term memory loss. Don't worry, just a small operation. You'll be fine.

(Lisa enters)

LISA - Mark. Is my father okay?

MARK - His reflexes are fine. However, h-he has short term memory loss.

LISA - He what? (goes to his father) Y-You remember me?

(Mr. Fredrick says he doesn't know in a faint voice)

LISA - What?!

MARK - Lisa, c-calm down. I'm a doctor, you're a doctor. We can do this. Your father will be fine. Trust me.

LISA - (Tears) I-I don't want to lose him.

MARK - (Holds Lisa by the arms) You won't, alright? he's going to be alright.

LISA - Okay.

MARK - Listen. I was thinking, s-since we're both doctors. Y-You're more welcome to support your father throughout the operation.

LISA - Yes, t-that'll be great. Thank you so much, Mark (hugs him).

MARK - (Hugs her back, in shock) Y-Your welcome.

[Scene 24]

(Operation Room)

MARK - Nurse? hand me the gloves.

NURSE 2 - Here (hands them over).

MARK - (Wears them) Lisa? ready?

LISA - Y-Yes.

MARK - If you're not comfortable. You can leave anytime.

LISA - I-I've seen worse. I-It'll be okay - ish.

(Mark conducts the operation)

[Scene 25]

(After the operation)

MARK - (Removes his mask) Well....w-we're done.

LISA - H-He's going to be fine?

MARK - I've given him anesthesia. He'll wake up in another hour or so.

LISA - (Hugs Mark) Thank you so much, Mark! thank you, thanks a ton!

MARK - (Hugs her back) Y-You're most welcome. Go have lunch, it's 3pm.

LISA - O-Okay. I-If he wakes up, call me alright?

MARK - Sure.

(Lisa leaves)
♠ ♠ ♠
Learn about Mark's workplace, Ned's environment, and Lisa's intentions.