Status: A story oriented between making tough choices in life.

My Backbone

My Backbone (Part Three)

[Scene 26]

(Mark is in his room, drinking coffee, and typing away the final medical reports)

MR. FREDRICK - (Regains conscience) U-Uh...

(Hospital Canteen)

LISA - (On the phone) Hello? oh! I'm coming! (picks up her juice and runs to Mark's room).

(Mark's room)

MARK - Don't worry, sir. You're fine now.

MR. FREDRICK - I-I am?

LISA - Dad! Dad!! you're alright!!

MR. FREDRICK - Sweetie...owch!

LISA - What is it?

MR. FREDRICK - Just the aftermath I guess. What was it? painkiller?

MARK - Yes.

MR. FREDRICK - That's probably why.

LISA - You almost gave me a heart attack, dad.

MR. FREDRICK - Dear, you're a cardiologist. You can cure yourself if you'd like.

LISA - Dad...very funny.

MARK - That's a good one.

MR. FREDRICK - I don't what was up today. All of a sudden this big truck just gets the better of me. God knows what his problem was.

MARK - Well, whatever it was. It's over with. I can discharge him tomorrow evening.

LISA - Okay, thank you so much, Mark.

MR. FREDRICK - So that's the name, huh? Mark.

MARK - Y-Yes sir.

MR. FREDRICK - (Looks at both of them) You both uh....colleagues?

LISA - Yes.

MR. FREDRICK - Friends?

LISA - Why not, of course.

(Mark is delighted)

MR. FREDRICK - You uh....(whispers) Love Birds?

LISA - Dad! come on. What's up with you? did he give you laughing gas or something?

MR. FREDRICK - I would've remembered something like that, Lisa.

LISA - Gosh, that was killer.

MR. FREDRICK - Which one? the truck or me?

LISA - Both, I guess (smiles at Mark).

(Mark smiles back)

MR. FREDRICK - (Sees Mark smiling) Hey Stark.

MARK - Mark, sir.

MR. FREDRICK - Mark, Stark, whatever. You both are lying to me aren't ya? you both are into each other.

MARK - Sir uh...

MR. FREDRICK - Listen up, Mark. You saved my life, I have nothing against you. You scared or something?

MARK - S-She's just my colleague, sir. We do this on a regular basis. It doesn't mean I marry every patient's daughter.

(Lisa giggles)

MR. FREDRICK - Did they ever get into relationship talk like me? I am right? now I'm telling you. If you like my daughter, go right ahead. I saw that eye contact and smile, fair and square. If you want it, then go for it alright? don't hesitate.

MARK - Um....

MR. FREDRICK - Ehem.....mark my words. Ha! you see what I did there?

LISA/MARK - Oh (sarcastically) hahaha.

MR. FREDRICK - Great humor, am I right?

LISA - Sure.

MARK - Just to clarify, the medicine I gave him, they're not bad quality.

LISA - (Smiling) I know, I know.

[Scene 27]

(Back home)

MARK - You know what, Ned? you were um....kind of wrong.

NED - Wah wah?

MARK - In a sense that, I didn't need to solve the puzzle. Girls aren't some formula you cook up in a lab, to win over. I guess destiny had it all written in for us.

NED - D-Dahs tee?

MARK - If it wasn't for the accident today. I wouldn't have gotten closer to Lisa. You know what? I-I think I'm starting to warm up for her. You think so too?

NED - Eh em.

MARK - We'll see. I hope everything goes well.

[Scene 28]

(In Hospital - ICU)

MARK - How are you doing, sir?

MR. FREDRICK - Oh me? I'm fine, real fine.

MARK - Okay then. Lunch will be in two hours, you need anything?

MR. FREDRICK - Nah. I think I'll be fine.

MARK - Great. Hang in there.

(Back in Mark's Room - Lisa is present)

MARK - Lisa?

LISA - Mark! oh, sorry.

MARK - What's up? need anything?

LISA - No um...j-just wanted to thank you. You know um....for saving my father.

MARK - My pleasure.

LISA - You know um....I was thinking, maybe after work, we could um.....go for a cup a coffee.

MARK - Sure. What time? because I-I uh....I have to see someone afterwards.

LISA - J-Just for an hour and a half. It'll fine, right?

MARK - S-Sure.

LISA - Right. See you then, 6:30pm! (leaves).

MARK - Yes! (celebrates with a fist pump).

[Scene 29]

(Canteen)

MARK - She's digging into me.

JAMES - Who?

MARK - Her.

JAMES - You mean, Lisa?

MARK - Yes.

JAMES - Didn't you just make an awkward move last time?

MARK - Can you not. I saved her father yesterday, and now she's taking me in for a treat.

JAMES - Good, good. Don't screw up this time. Where are you guys going?

MARK - Starbuck's Coffee.

JAMES - Shit. You trying to lose all your money at one go?

MARK - I have great respect for Starbuck's. Customers pay the original price of food and beverages, so that farmers who produce them get a fair income. If you look at other establishments, the farmers barely receive any. That's what I like about Starbuck's, they're fair to the farmers.

JAMES - Man, what was I thinking. I thought they were cheap dip shits.

MARK - Do you always have to say "shit"?

JAMES - When shit comes at you, you don't say feces. Imagine this, "Holy Feces! that priest fell off". Or, "that NBA game was bull feces". Or even-

MARK - I'm eating.

JAMES - Right.

(Mark is eating a curry puff. James sees the curry inside as feces, which he described)

JAMES - Y-You uh, you going to eat the curry? it looks a bit-

MARK - (Pushes the plate over to his side) There goes my $3.50. (Gets up to buy something else).

JAMES - Such a great way to steal food.

[Scene 30]

(At a mall - in Starbuck's Coffee)

LISA - How's your latte?

MARK - Good, yours?

LISA - Good.

(they drink)

LISA - Like I was saying. I'm so grateful for what you did. I-I know you're wondering why though. Y-You see um....m-my mother passed away when I was 6.

(Mark is shocked)

LISA - It's been really tough for me and my dad. My dad would come home early to do all the chores, help me with my school work, do his own office work. I-I didn't want to lose him too.

MARK - Oh.

LISA - (Tears) J-Just the thought of it.

MARK - Lisa. Y-Your father won't leave you, alright? and your mother isn't dead. She's still alive in your memory. As far as that is there, she's not lost.

LISA - (Smiling) Y-You're a great guy, Mark. Thanks (drinks her latte).

MARK - You know what? at least you have your dad. I lost them both in a flight accident.

LISA - What? how?

MARK - They were going on a business trip. Then poof! gone. That was when I was 15. I have a brother too, Ned.

LISA - Ned....younger brother?

MARK - Yes. Even with him, I struggle.

LISA - Why?

MARK - He's uh...(makes the crazy gesture).

LISA - That's so sad.

MARK - I mean, i-it wasn't a birth defect or anything. We went to clinic to give him a vaccine, and it was of bad quality. You know, these type of vaccines, they really mess you up.

LISA - When was this?

MARK - I was 16 that time, and he was 12. I...I was such a fool.

LISA - (Holds his hand) There, there, come on, cheer up. Things like this happen. It's why it's better to go to a hospital and get a vaccine.

MARK - J-Just by the sight of him. I-I feel like such an idiot.

LISA - Y-You can cure him right?

(Mark is Silent)

LISA - I mean, you take care of this kind of stuff.

MARK - I-I have my personal reasons, for why I can't.

LISA - Right. It's better kept a secret.

MARK - Yes.

LISA - Well, this has been a great time. We should do this more often, don't you think?

MARK - Yes, definitely. I'd like that.

LISA - Well then, I'll take off from here. Good night! (leaves)

MARK - Good night (Leaves his separate way).

[Scene 31]

(Back home)

MARK - I-I told her about....you know what, forget it. What happened, just happened.

NED - Huh...Huh...Huh.

MARK - We have some things in common. We are both um....you know what, l-let's leave that aside too. What did you do today?

NED - Eh?!

MARK - Di Da?

NED - Di Da! Di Da! (points at the TV set).

MARK - Slouching, I see. Very productive of you. Out of curiosity what were you watching? (turns on the TV)

(Fashion Show channel is on)

MARK - Wow....so this is what you're into?

NED - (Nods awkwardly) Dei.

MARK - I never knew there was such a channel on....hold on! (calls Nancy) Hello? Nancy? yes...you let him watch the Fashion Show channel? oh...oh! that's genius. Thank you so much....yes, good night.

NED - Nanas?

MARK - She's a genius. What a perfect way to learn about colours, shapes, and perceptions. Hmm.....

(TV HOST: And now we have Perlyn Cooper, wearing a gorgeous green gown....)

MARK - Hmm....I see. Ned, colour red?

(Ned points at a red toy)

MARK - Not bad, you're catching on good. White?

(Ned points to his watch)

MARK - That's great buddy! good, I like it.

(Ned carries on watching the Fashion Show)

[Scene 32]

(In Hospital - Mark's Room, Lisa enters)

MARK - Lisa, w-what're you doing here?

LISA - Just came by, you know. I got kind of bored.

MARK - No patients today?

LISA - Not until 1pm.

MARK - I see (closes his laptop).

LISA - You don't have work?

MARK - Not that it's really important.

LISA - (Smiles) What's up?

MARK - The ceiling.

LISA - (Sarcastic) Can't believe I fell for that one.

MARK - I know, it's a shit joke.

LISA - You have any hobbies?

MARK - Um....trekking seems fine. Apart from that, I guess swimming.

LISA - Oh, you like swimming too. I used to be a swim trainer.

MARK - Really?

LISA - Yes, for the national squad.

MARK - You used to train the national squad?!

LISA - (Smiles) Yes.

MARK - Oh lord, who did I just walk into?

LISA - Stop, Mark. Please, I'm through that now.

MARK - Why is that?

LISA - I wanted a change in life. I'm the type of person who can't keep going the same direction as always. I constantly need to be doing something exciting.

MARK - So....

LISA - You know, in college, I did Sports Science Degree and Degree in Medical. I took the next best thing.

MARK - So, you're life purpose is all about adventure.

LISA - Yes, that's what I'm exactly going with. You understand right?

MARK - I guess.

LISA - Try asking this to my friends. They're always like, "You work too much, Lisa!" and all that. Life's got to be exciting everyday, we can't just be lagging behind while some genius out there is doing something productive.

MARK - Indeed. C-Can I consider that as um....your hobby?

LISA - Sure, go for it.

MARK - You know, I was thinking. We had a great time last night, I had a great time last night. Just two colleagues, drinking coffee, catching up stuff. I-I liked it very much. I was thinking about what you said last night, about doing this regularly....

LISA - And?

MARK - Well um....you know, I-I got tickets to watch Civil War if you-

LISA - I'll go!

MARK - Really?

LISA - Sure! it'll be fun! see you tonight!

(leaves)

MARK - (Confused) How does she know it's tonight?

[Scene 33]

(Mark and Lisa watch Civil War together, eat dinner, then go to the beach together at night)

LISA - That movie too good, too good.

MARK - I know. Great time we had, right?

LISA - I liked dinner too.

MARK - Same.

(Silence for a while as they watch the tides come in)

LISA - You know, it's a great relationship we're having so far - don't you think?

MARK - Yes, it's good. Just two colleagues, friends, hanging out together.

LISA - I want to be more than just a friend, Mark.

MARK - Well...

LISA - (Kisses Mark) Well?

MARK - (In shock) I think it'll work.

LISA - Hahaha...

(Mark and Lisa have a blast together at work and out of work for some 6 months)

[Scene 34]

MARK - Ned...come here.

NED - Dei Dei....

MARK - Lisa and I, we're getting on pretty good. It's been six months, isn't that exciting?

NED - Hehehe.

MARK - Yes, indeed, hehehe.

(they laugh together)

MARK - (Hugs Ned) Ned?

NED - (Hugging him back) Dei?

MARK - You want a sister, a mother, don't you?

NED - Mer...Mer...

MARK - (Smiles and looks at him at face) I think she's on her way right now.

(Door bell rings)

MARK - Must be a sign.

(Opens the door to find Lisa and her father)

LISA - Mark!

MARK - Lisa?

MR. FREDRICK - Hahaha, what did I tell you two love birds ay?

MARK - (Smiles) What's going on?

LISA - (Shows her ring finger) I think it's about time.

MARK - (Looks at Ned) Ned?

NED - Dai! Dai! (over excited by the guests).

MR. FREDRICK - Woah, who's that?

MARK - Sorry, um...he's my brother, Ned.

MR. FREDRICK - Ah. Hi, Ned (holds out his hand).

(Ned sees it and stammers)

MARK - Sorry um....he's uh (gestures for koo-koo).

MR. FREDRICK - Oh, Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know-

MARK - It's okay, Lisa knows.

LISA - Hi Ned.

NED - Oh! (excited over Lisa).

(Ned gets close to her, feels her hair, and is stunned)

NED - Ohohoho!!!

LISA - Sounds like someone is excited about our marriage.

MARK - Looks like. What did I tell you, Ned? happy?

NED - (Hugs Mark) Meekee!

MARK - (Stunned and hugs him back) I-I think he just understood me.

(Lisa smiles)

MARK - Ned...Lisa.

NED - Yeeha.

MARK - No, that's Texas. Li....sa.

NED - L-Lee....soh!

LISA - I can live with that (smiles at Ned).

NED - (Smiles back) Bachukee....bachukee...

MR. FREDRICK - Lisa's a wonderful girl, Mark. I should've told you that day itself about her mother.

MARK - She told me later on.

MR. FREDRICK - I guess that's why I was quite desperate. Ever since her mom left, it's only been me, and quite some of her friends. I was always waiting for that one day, where she could enter her mother's footsteps - know what all her mother did. You both were perfect when in ICU.

MARK - Well, it's a medical miracle.

MR. FREDRICK - Hahaha...you can say that again.

MARK - (Whispers) Not.

LISA - So um....we looked up some dates together. I was thinking maybe....next month?

MARK - Hmm....what do you think, Ned? next month?

NED - Ma mooh....hmm....(smiles).

MARK - Sounds like a yes for us.

[Scene 35]

(Wedding Scene)

PRIEST - Do you, Lisa Fredrick, take Mark Samson, to be your lawfully wedded husband?

LISA - (Looks at Mark) I do.

PRIEST - And do you, Mark Samson, take Lisa Fredrick, to be your lawfully wedded wife?

MARK - (Looks at Lisa) I do.

(Ned is all excited, sitting next to Mr. Fredrick in the seats)

PRIEST - I now pronounce you, man and wife, you may kiss the bride.

(they kiss and everyone applauds)

MR. FREDRICK - Come on, Ned, clap (claps).

NED - Oh....(learns to clap and does it) hahaha...

[Scene 36]

(Dinner table - everyone's talking away)

JAMES - (Gets up) Alright! Alright! everyone! may I have your attention please! James, Hogwarts University.

(everyone laughs)

JAMES - Seriously. I've known Mark for quite a while now. We've been in college together, same medical institutions and stuff. We've had a blast. I'm very happy for both Lisa and Mark, who have opened gates to a new chapter in their life. On behalf of us, we wish you lot's of love and prosperity.

(Ned is playing with his cutlery)

JAMES - Haven't forgotten about you, Ned?

(Ned gets the attention of everyone)

JAMES - Don't worry, Ned. Mark told me everything - you know have a new sister, and a mother.

NED - Hehehe (clapping away)

(everyone claps along)

LISA - Thank you, Mark.

MARK - Thank you, Lisa.

(they cling glasses together)

INTERMISSION

[Scene 37]

(In Mark's Place)

MARK - (Wakes up) Good morning, honey.

LISA - (Wakes up) Good morning (smiles).

MARK - Slept well?

LISA - Slept really well (yawns).

(Ned walks in)

NED - Da duh! Da Duh!

LISA - Woah....Ned?

NED - (Smiles) Lee...Soh!

LISA - (Smiles) Never gets old, right?

MARK - Same old, Ned. Come here, bro.

(Ned comes close)

MARK - How do you like your new sister?

NED - Di? hahaha (smiles).

LISA - Hahaha.

MARK - I guess he does.

LISA - Let me go make breakfast (gets up and goes).

MARK - Sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
Matters are about to take off between Lisa and Mark. What about Ned?