Status: The story is purely based on my personal thoughts and experiences up until the end of the Hospital Scenes.

Brain

Brain (Part Three)

[Scene 27]

(Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital)

DOCTOR 1 - Hmm....

DAD - What's the result?

DOCTOR 1 - Temperature is not looking good, it's 104ºF. Health is in bad condition, we have to rush him into ICU.

MUM - (Tears) Oh no.

DAD - Anything else, doctor?

DOCTOR 1 - We'll give you further details about his health once we conduct ECG, X Ray, and so on other tests.

[Scene 28]

(ICU Room - Next day morning)

NURSE 1 - Good morning, Jai.

JAI - Morning.

(Nurse takes blood sample from each arm and leaves)

JAI - Where are my mum and dad?

NURSE 1 - They'll be here soon.

JAI - Wow, feels like 7 in the evening.

NURSE 1 - It's 9 in the morning.

JAI - Woah.

NURSE 2 - Here, your breakfast.

(Jai couldn't manage to eat them all)

[Scene 29]

(Mum walks in)

JAI - Mum!! you're here! finally!

MUM - Why? what happened?

JAI - I'm so lonely. I know it's ICU, but sometimes I feel like I'm in a box. There are no windows here to tell you what time of the day it is.

MUM - I see.

JAI - Oh, someone's here.

DR. SHETTY - Hello Jai, I'm Dr. Shetty. You're personal doctor.

MUM - Hi, I'm Jai's mum.

DR. SHETTY - Hi, very nice to meet you.

MUM - How's his tests going on?

DR. SHETTY - We had the blood samples taken in the morning. After his lunch we'll have the X Ray and ECG tests.

MUM - What do the blood reports say?

DR. SHETTY - Haemoglobin level is abnormal, he has less of those in his blood. Likewise same case with lymphocytes.

MUM - I see.

DR. SHETTY - We're still wondering what kind of case he has. We believe it's on the lines of Typhoid.

MUM - Okay.

JAI - Typhoid?

DR. SHETTY - Waterborne disease, Jai. Did you consume bad food and water?

JAI - Sort of.

DR. SHETTY - Then there we have it. But we'll confirm this in another two days or so.

MUM - Okay.

(Dr Shetty checks his pulse rate and leaves)

MUM - Ate your breakfast?

JAI - Not fully though, only half.

MUM - Jai, you need to eat properly.

JAI - Yes, I know. I can't though.

MUM - Well that's not going to help. You're eating less than you actually need.

JAI - But hey! good news! I'm not vomiting after my meals anymore.

MUM - That's a start.

[Scene 30]

(After a couple of days)

DR. SHETTY - Jai?

JAI - Yes, doctor?

DR. SHETTY - How are you feeling?

JAI - Feeling quite the same, but a bit better.

DR. SHETTY - We've just finished analysing your case. It turns out that you do have Typhoid.

JAI - I do? well...

DR. SHETTY - But, it's quite a complicated case. You kidneys are malfunctioning as well.

JAI - I see....is it bad?

DR. SHETTY - Well, as of now, I'm just letting you know the facts. But we can sort this issue out. Now that we've confirmed your case, you can move into the Ward tonight.

JAI - Thank you, doctor

DR. SHETTY - And um...we'll be giving you a shot of Methylpred, for your recovery purposes.

JAI - Methylpred um....is that, a type of drug?

DR. SHETTY - A steroid. We'll be giving you a steroid for your recovery purpose. Nothing to worry about. We're just letting you know, in case you experience weird thought processes and such.

JAI - Well, I-I'm fine, if it's for the best.

DR. SHETTY - (Smiles) Take care, Jai. I'll see you tomorrow.

[Scene 31]

(Jai is now moved into the Ward and parents can now come in and see him properly)

MUM - There, there, you finally made it.

JAI - How long have I been here?

MUM - You're being hospitalized for a week.

JAI - So, in another three days, I'm discharged?

MUM - Looks like, if results are good.

JAI - Finally, I'm getting bored. You know what's good about the Ward?

MUM - What?

JAI - I can now keep track of time because of the window next to me.

MUM - Hehehe.

(Jai turns on the TV and switches to Times Now - Debate is going on)

REPORTER - Now then, we're talking about the current floods in Chennai. Chennai is seeing the worst of floods till date. Alongside me on the panel we have Tamil Nadu ministers such as Transport ministers, resources minister, and the system management minister. So tell us, why is this the worst flood event?

SM. MINISTER - I would say, root problem is because of heavy rain, obviously but-

REPORTER - Let's recap, one of the biggest causes of floods are due to urbanisation and poor drainage management. Being minister of these systems, what is your take on the issue?

SM. MINISTER - I agree on your part about how maintanence was not conducted properly, but at the same time, traffic congestion and political party rallies have made it difficult to maintain these systems.

REPORTER - You've had since the start of independence to ensure that these systems are up and running. Even before, when population of Tamil Nadu was not too much, you folks had the time to take all precautions. Now what seems to have happened is due to poor flood management.

(Debate argument is taking place - Jai is gaining interest in this)

JAI - (Narration) If someone like me who just entered the nation, gets bombarded by life-threatening diseases as such. Then what about the rest of the population? India makes up 1.3 billion people, there's certainly a high rate of disease occurence as such. From that day on, I made up mind to serve as the country's backbone. I believe we can bring the nation up, and get rid of all this "Chalta Hain" attitude. It's all a matter of a few people like us, having a strong idea, and the adrenaline rush to take us to new heights.

[Scene 32]

(Flight from Toronto reaches Mumbai)

JAI - (Narration) It's been nearly 15 years since that day I was admitted in hospital for Typhoid. My friend, Murali took interest in the vision I had and joined me on this journey. We both went abroad and studied at a university in Toronto. Now we're back with three more NRI's who take interest in this mission. Having graduated at the age of 23, we all spent the next 7 years building up our own foundation called "Lite Foundation". A foundation with a strong goal of giving back to society, more specifically, our homeland.

(At TEDx Presentation in South Bombay)

HOST - Alright everyone! welcome to TEDx! w'ere very glad to have you all here.

(everyone applauds)

HOST - We're happy to say that we have our Honourable Prime Minister as well as Chief Minister of Maharashtra join us today. Thank you for taking part.

(Crowd goes wild)

HOST - We have three TED Talks today. We have one from Karthik Ganesan, a selfmade Businessman in Mumbai. Next we have Sawan Bhandhari, sharing his experience of learning music and teaching children about this art. In the end, we have "Lite Foundation" who will be doing a complete analysis of India's strength's and weaknesses. Thank you everyone, and enjoy!

(applause and presentations go at a run - now it's finally Jai's foundation's turn)

JAI - For all those who don't know me, I'm Jai. Me, my high school friend Murali, and a couple of other mates from college are here as well. We are members of "Lite Foundation". You may have not heard about us on the news, but over the past seven years, apart from mainstream research, we've been helping regions around India with sanitation and resources issues.

Till date, we've managed to solve issues on hygiene and sanitation in places like Maharashtra and West Bengal. This was done by building more than 100 thousand toilets.

(everyone applauds)

JAI - In summer seasons, when temperatures are simply unbearable, we've lent a hand to farmers in need in Telangana, Tamil Nadu, and even Punjab. We've donated money as well as helped enrole their children into schools and provide alternate seeds for farming.

(everyone applauds)

JAI - But, that's not why I'm here today. By now, I'm sure most of you have an idea about our mission. Which is changing the lives of millions of Indians. Now we wanted to take this to the next level. As a child personally, I lived most of my life outside of India, in Hong Kong and Singapore. Upon coming back to live in my homeland, as NRI's, we were bombarded by countless problems. Before anyone tries to stop me from making further comments, let me further elaborate. When I meant problems, I meant even the smallest of tasks taking a hassle.

We rented out a wonderful pent house in Oshiwara. I won't mention to house owner's or the name of the property. But yes, it was a lovely apartment. Once we agreed to rent the place, the owners came in from Qatar to meet us. Now we thought, yes, that's very nice of them for doing so. Later on only, did we realize that they haven't maintained their place properly. Yes, this is a problem for many people. In our case, these owners haven't checked if the A/C conditions were proper, likewise whether or not the doorbell will catch fire if pressed continuously. So yes, this was quite a disappointment for us.

Why am I saying this to you all? I know some people are now thinking to themselves, "yes I experience the same problems too". Then there are others who are quite comfortable in the upper class so, "No problem". Then again, there are also people saying, "He's new to the country, so he's simply complaining". Yes, I am complaining. What you've got to understand is that I'm not so pessmistic about my homeland. I was actually very happy to come back. That was because of the rich diversity this country has. Leaving Singapore out of the picture, we have a homeland of those speaking many languages, split by many religions and cultures, food variety, everything. We're very diverse, and where ever you travel around this country, it is a good experience. It will be the same as leaving the country to travel else where, so-

(everyone applauds)

JAI - But, yet again. Everything has it's pros and cons. India is a perfect place to be at this point of time, because places like Mumbai, are growing at a fast pace. Technology, access to internet and such, it's all happening at this point, which is why it's great to be in India at this point. I want to emphasize on what we're doing wrong. Let me give you an analogy, to make things crisp: we're giving more internet access, but hunger and water crisis is still on the rise. More international brands are coming in, but housing still becomes a problem with the growing population.

You're probably wondering why I'm picking my nose into the issues. Here's another analogy: as a parent, you won't know the rate at which your child is growing. It's only every once in year when you visit your other relatives, they say that the child has grown. How come the parents don't know that? Having living with their child since ages? it's the same here. We don't know our mistakes until someone else comes in and tells us. Being an NRI at that point, I wasn't completely Indian, because of my mannerisms and person at that time. Keeping that in mind, I was able to easily point out what was going well and what was not. I can very well tell right now that India is a much better place for family recreation, travel, and festivals compared to Singapore. In terms of development, we're dragging behind. My point is, we shouldn't be like Singapore. We should be growing at the style we like. In fact, places like Singapore look a lot like the west, and it's a problem because more expats are getting better jobs than the locals.

Moving on, what are the key problems of India? Well, the problems I'm going to discuss are the problems which are sort of padlocking this country's rate of development. Firstly, we have a brain drain. Brain Drain is this phenomena, when there are net movement of skilled workers migrating to developed countries for better opportunities. What's the burden? since more skilled people move off, the rich countries get richer, while we remain more poorer. If skilled software engineers are moving to the US, when can't replace their jobs in India unless there are skilled people like them. Eventually, they too might head over to places like the US. We have brilliant people in this country. Head of Google, Adobe, and Microsoft are Indians. Here's a joke I heard from a friend of mine in Canada - the Indians are good at stealing jobs abroad.

(everyone laughs)

JAI - You see? that's our potential. We're intellect enough to steal jobs from abroad. Some interviews in foreign papers have stated that we as a country are a good supply of capital - in terms of intellect people. This brain drain issue has got out of hand, in fact this country is #1 in Brain Drain. I'm sure honourable Prime Minister won't object me on this but, there has been a time when so many medical students from India, left to work abroad. Previous prime ministers had to set a policy for these students to return back and work here. Sure, that's a good start. In the student's point of view, it's somewhat like being forced into work.

My dad told me this when I moved back here. He said, "If I were a scientist, would I want to work in a place where simple matter like paying taxes and such are still problems?" He asked me this one question. I thought about it, the average Indian faces problems from work stress, to dealing with those who clean our cars outside. I mean, if even the tiniest of matter are problems, then how do we function properly?

It's only if our base is strong, we can work our way up and build the top. This leads to the second issue, which is area of focus. Coming back to the analogy I made about the internet and food crisis. We need to sort out our priorities. If millions of people are still struggling with access to basic necessities, then it is almost impossible to ensure the all important internet and technology factors will be strong here.

See, we can launch a rocket to Mars. I'm happy for it, because it took the US more than one attempt for a successful launch to Mars, whereas we did it one go. Looking back at things though, we are able to further develop our technology and launch rockets, but we can't easily solve problems relating to basic necessities.

I suffered from Typhoid, months after settling into this country. Not making this personal, but if if someone like me gets affected by a life-threatening disease, then what about millions of other people? Think about it.

Now, the next issue, which is decision making. This next point may land me up in receiving FIRs from politicians and all. The people need to know this, because someone once said "For the people, To the people, and By the people". The people need a good understanding of those who are working to improve their lives. I'm sure ministers won't object me, but apart from hard-working and well qualified politicians, there are those of the total opposite.

I know some of you already know from comments on Social Media and such, but it's true. I've done some inside research and been all about the country. I've helped MLA's, they mayors, the ministers even. What I've taken into account is that some of these people, running a town or even a village and city, they haven't even crossed the 12th Grade.

Don't get me wrong on this. It's true that qualification doesn't have to mean anything. I mean, famous drop outs like Mark Zuckerberg built an empire out of Facebook. Edison didn't have schooling, yet he invented the ligh bulb. Here though, it means quite a lot because though these guys aren't properly qualified, they have no idea what they're doing. I spoke to quite some MLAs and Mayor's in places liek Tamil Nadu and Haryana. There are those who've studied till the 10th Grade, and those who've been till the 8th Grade. I mean, it's horrendous.

We as a nation are in a situation where anyone can become a politician, and that's an issue here. People are not understanding the value of politics, and I'm talking about retired film stars and retired sports players too for that matter. These are people who believe they can enter politics because they have a huge fan base and have enlightened people in their career in film or sport. Using that power, they have them support thme in politics.

(everyone is mumbling in the crowd)

JAI - I see, you're all mentioning quite a few of them already. But yes, it's absolutely true. I don't mind film and sport stars entering politics with good background knowledge of how and what to do in the field. In the case of those who have no idea and just do it for the fun and the power, they're the ones who are slowing us down. I recently read a news about a cricketer who entered politics in Kerala. It's a true story, and this cricketer has been involved in match-fixing and such, and even gone to jail. Despite all this, he's promoted to becoming one in politics. How? What is the logic behind all this?

Everyday there is always someone complaining about the Chief Minister, the President, or even the Prime Minister, about their roads not being proper, or political rallies taking place and such. Sure, why not? Problem is you're targeting the wrong people. You're mentioning the ministers who are actually trying to bring about a good change in the country. In fact, they are those who are under-qualified, have no idea, and are just coming into politics for the fun and power.

Let me openly reveal one thing: every Chief Minister in India is properly qualified and has an idea of what they're doing. Yet again, there are also still those who are still qualified and have no idea. It's true with what I'm saying - even today, there are people entering politics as a family business, and not mentioning any names in particular but, you get the idea.

(crowd is both laughing and mumbling about)

JAI - Last issue with this country. This is aimed directly at you, the people, the ones who make up majority of the country. Let's leave out the politicians, and focus on the ones we see everyday outside. As a nation, don't get me wrong on this, we have an attitude called "Chalta Hain". I'm sure you're all aware of it. For those who don't know, let me give you the analogy. This attitude is basically about assuming everything is fine when things are not. It's not only about accepting the reality of things, but also in terms of breaking rules.

You go to a party in Juhu for example, drink heavily and go for a drive. Some friend will say, you can't drive. Then what do you say? You say "Chalta hain, Chalta hain". That just means you're implying that breaking such rules are alright. As much as political conduct matters, it's us who ensure how welcoming we are to tourists, how helpful we are to each other, how we care for one another and being considerate. Spitting on the sidewalk or on the road where others can see you, it's just bringing up a wrong idea to the rest of the people.

What we're trying to say is in the end all this, it's that there is no particular person to target at. We're all at fault, in the same as we are all responsible for each other's happiness and such. To conclude let me just say that, change doesn't necessarily need to begin with leaders, but also the majority who make up the population. Thank you.

(everyone gets up to give him a standing ovation)

HOST - Thank you, so let me just throw some questions. What we've done is have some people from the audience write up some questions before the start of the event. First question, is from Saakshi, and she has asked "What are your future plans for the foundation?".

JAI - Well, just as I've mentioned. Using the research we've done, we've decided to take this to the next level and possibly help out officials such as Mayors, MLAs, and possibly even respectable ministers in this country. Like I said, I will be helping the officials straighten up their game, but you too have to do your part.

HOST - Next question is from Pooja, who has asked "Who is sponsoring your initiative?".

JAI - We have quite a few groups from Canada and in India. We have the Give foundation in India who's been of good help. Likewise we have quite a few NGOs in Canada doing the same. We would announce our projects and have them funding the initiative for us.

HOST - Alright then, that's all we have for today. Thanks to all the speakers in taking part. Thank you for attending TEDx this evening, have a good night.

(everyone applauds - Prime Minister)

PM - Hmm....

(Chief Minister)

CM - Good.

[Scene 33]

MURALI - Very good presentation you gave.

VENKAT - I hope it worked.

JAI - That's what we can all hope for.

MANISH - I still can't believe the Prime Minister was present.

SURAJ - I know, it must've been nerve-wrecking for you out there.

JAI - It sure was, but we've given countless presentations like these in Canada. I believe it's the thought of having respected VIPs attend your talks.

MANISH - Sure is.

(phone rings)

JAI - (Answers the call) Hello? Sir?! oh my god, I-I can't believe it. Yes, yes, definitely, I-I'll be there. Thank you (drops the call).

MURALI - What happened?

JAI - It was the Prime Minister.

ALL - What?!

JAI - H-He wants to personally meet us.

SURAJ - Wow.

[Scene 34]

(At the Parliament Meeting Room - Jai and his team walk in)

JAI - Sir.

PM - Hehehe, come in, come in. Thank you for joining us.

VENKAT - (Whispers) There are quite some ministers and mayors here. Hope you didn't target them.

JAI - (Whispers) Thank you, Venkat. Now I'm scared.

PM - Have a seat. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, "Lite Foundation". An initiative powered by Jai.

(everyone applauds)

PM - Now then, myself and CM of Maharashtra were pleased with your talk. I thank you very much for your team's detailed analysis of the nation.

VENKAT - Sir um...we hope we didn't offend any particular person.

PM - What? no, no, no. In fact, you should be pleased with your bravery of stating the facts. Part of our job is be open to feedback as such, then only we can improve. As someone once said, "No one is perfect". What you did was right, because the people deserve to know the state of those who run the land.

MANISH - Correct, sir.

PM - Which is why I've brought you all here. You see, you all seem to be on the right track with your work. You improved lives of those in parts of this country. Being somewhat an outsider, you're able to easily identify problems around here. I like that very much.

SURAJ - What help do you seek from us, sir?

PM - After your presentation. I took the time to confirm the facts and figures you were providing. After quite a while, I confirmed them as to being true and decided to have you here help me in my very own initiative. I hope you're all aware of it.

MURALI - Clean India, Development Projects and so on.

PM - Yes. Let me give it to you straight. I would really like if you could be my secretariats.

(Jai and his team are in shock)

PM - I could really use advisers like you all to help me. You know, personal secretariats. That way, we both can work out what we're doing right and wrong, to help this country.

JAI - Wow.

PM - It would be great if you could be a part of us. If not, it's fine, as you too have your own separate vision.

JAI - No sir, this would be an honour for us. After all, we did want to assist ministers with their work. We would love to help.

PM - Thank you very much.

(Prime Minister gets up and shakes hands with the team - others applaud)

[Scene 35]

(On the newspaper and News Channel Headlines)

NEWSPAPER 1 - (Top Story) Prime Minister, now under assistance of "Lite Foundation".

NEWSPAPER 2 - (Top Story) Prime Minister to do it the "Lite" way.

INTERMISSION
♠ ♠ ♠
Big things are happening for Jai - in the future. Could this be a chance to solve matters?