Status: The story is purely based on my personal thoughts and experiences up until the end of the Hospital Scenes.

Brain

Brain (Part Four)

[Scene 36]

(Parliament Meeting Room - politicians, VIPs are all present)

PM - We have, joining us, my secretariats, who are none other than "Lite Foundation". They will be helping us along this mission. Please proceed.

JAI - Our idea is pretty simple. Let's me start off by introducing a theory. How many of you have heard of Maslow's Hierarchy?

(half the room raise their hands)

JAI - You all must've heard this from your humanities, social studies class. (Shows the presentation) What does this heirarchy show? It shows the requirements of a person, to have a good life.

(everyone is wondering what he's on about)

MURALI - When running a government as such, the responsiblity, wherever you are in the world, whichever country, your job is to look after the people and ensure development and peace is kept. There seems to be a confusion in what we are doing in this case. Reference to what Jai said in the TED talk, we're launching rockets to Mars, but food and water crisis is still on the rise here.

VENKAT - And that's when we refer to the hierarchy. After all, this is a pyramid, by which we need to move step by step in. We need to first ensure that our basement is strong. As in, ensuring that basic necessities are abundant for our people.

SURAJ - We mean making everything in this first section, abundant. Be it food, water, sleep, sex, that all should be abundant.

MINISTER 1 - You're saying we should make sex abundant? Our population is so huge. You want to keep going with that?

MANISH - We don't mean that, you're thinking of this literally. Think of this hierarchy as a basis for what every country is following. Some countries have less population, and choose to gives sex more priority. Some like China, who've introduced "One Child Policy" they sort of tightened up laws for that.

MINISTER 2 - Well, what're you getting us into now?

JAI - I'll give you an example of a developed country and link with how the country has fared accordingly to this hierarchy. Here we have Singapore. Singapore being a nodal point, makes it ideal for trade. Trade is a huge business in the country, therefore they don't rely on cultivating crops themselves. In fact, almost every food product is being imported into the country. Trade is a big business there, like I said earlier. So they used it to their advantage, to give their people abundant supply of imported food - and possibly even products which they get from their own small farms like eggs.

PM - Hmm...

JAI - Water. Singapore has multiple sources for meeting their water supply. Firstly, they are reliant with neighbouring country, Malaysia, for meeting water demands. Secondly, Desalination process.

MINISTER 3 - That's a very expensive process. We need enough capital to set it up, and we only have a few in places like Rameswaram.

JAI - True, but we're going to need more of that. We can't compare how Singapore does it, because they're just one city, a country. We're much larger than Singapore, therefore we may as well raise enough capital for setting up more desalination plants. It's a great opportunity for opening jobs in coastal areas like Mumbai and Chennai.

PM - Hmm...

MURALI - Then we have reservoirs. A form of rainwater harvesting is also being used here. The country has several reservoirs in the island - reservoirs like MacRitchie Reservoir, Fort Canning etc. This is purely prior to the location of the island. It's located in the proper tropics, just few degrees off the equator. Southeast Asia being a giant Rainforest, the island expects lots of rainfall. For this, the country used it to their advantage for rainwater harvesting.

VENKAT - Reservoirs will be an ideal solution for us. We have a handful of locations in this country, where heavy rainfall is definite.

MANISH - Mumbai monsoon is a notable time. This season can bring opportunities for abundant water supply.

SURAJ - Cherrapunji, in Meghalaya state. It is the wettest place on earth, with definite rainfall all throughout the year. Setting up two or three reservoirs there itself is enough to give the country abundant water supply.

JAI - Drought problems for farmers won't be the issue, because places like Cherrapunji are providing us with abundant supplies of water. In fact, honourable Prime Minister, we may even make a surplus.

PM - Is that so? How?

JAI - Let's look at Evian. A Water Supply Company that is solely reliant on the melt freshwater from glaciers in the Alps. They manage to supply water all over the world, and this is helping France make money, thus improving the economy.

PM - I see where you're going with this.

JAI - One day, we will make a surplus, I just know that if we set up reservoirs in Cherrapunji. We will make a surplus, and soon be able to supply water to other parts of the world. Who knows, we can help places like Central Asia, Australia, maybe even the west. By doing this, we will be making money, thus helping the local economy.

MURALI - The idea behind this is simple. If more and more people buy Indian products, that itself is enough in helping the economy grow. A Sprite bottle which is 60 Rupees today, will become 5 Rupees tomorrow. All this by just having more people buy Indian products.

MINISTER 4 - I love your idea, executing this might be a pain.

MINISTER 5 - What are your plans for food production? You gave idea for water, what about food?

MANISH - It's all directly proportional to water supply. If we have enough water supply, we can grow more crops, that too of good quality. No more burden on farmers during peak summer seasons.

VENKAT - We have ideas for introducing more machinery for farmers to use. With 1.3 billion people in this country, there'll be high demands for food. With machinery we can make farming more efficient.

MINISTER 1 - Mechanisation has its good and bads too. If more machines are helping out on the farm, what about labour?

MINISTER 2 - Honourable sir mentioned about you speaking high about unemployment that day. If more machines are used in farms, how will labour do? They'll remain unemployed still, but this time things would be worse.

SURAJ - We've run the calculations. This is only the problem if machines are incorporated in a large farm. We're already doing intensive subsistence farming, what we'll do is divide the size of farmlands even more. Such that now even new labour can farm and use machinery.

MINISTER 3 - Suppose we have limited supply? I mean we can only supply enough machinery for farmers.

MURALI - In that case we give experienced farmers the machinery, and new farmers a go at doing things manually. Say for example we divide a plot of farmland, you know 10x10 km of land, into two 5x10 km of land. We have an experienced farmer using machinery, just one farmer on that land and productivity is at its best. Likewise on the other side, we have 3 to 5 farmers doing it manually. Either way, machinery will help, and unemployment will slowly be extinct.

MINISTER 2 - What do you think?

PM - Hmm....idea, idea is good. Problem is execution...

MANISH - I see.

PM - We can plan out hundred ideas, and they can as perfect as it can be. You'll have to look into whether or not this plan can be suitable for the local community there. They may have their own laws and orders with the agriculture business. Some even incorporate culture into this, where in children will inherit the land after their parents, and they won't be willing to divide the lands.

You have the green signal from me, meaning you have been given permission to proceed with the first stage of our plan. I say we first focus on the Cherrapunji project first, then move on to food production plans.

SURAJ - Okay sir.

PM - Like you guys said, tell the person concerned to have constructions of three reservoirs in the area. Like you say, Jai, this project will open up job opportunities in Cherrapunji, won't it?

JAI - It sure will.

PM - Yes, because we need people involved in transporting the water, maintain the reservoirs and such. Good work so far.

JAI - Thank you, sir.

PM - Once constructions go on the floors, report back and we'll discuss food production. In the mean time, what do you suggest we take care of? Any further matters to be discussed?

JAI - I'll send Murali and Venkat to travel to Meghalaya, for the Reservoir Project.

VENKAT/MURALI - Got it.

JAI - While construction is happening, I want you all to get in touch with transport agencies and markets across the country.

VENKAT - Okay.

JAI - That means even suppliers in small towns and villages.

VENKAT - Okay.

(Venkat and Murali leave)

JAI - While they're at it, planning water distribution and so on. I was hoping for us to plan our next approach, which is in food production.

SURAJ - India is known to produce two main crops, which are rice and wheat. Apart from that we have pulses and corn being grown.

MANISH - We plan on introducing High Yield Variety Crops.

MINISTER 1 - The Green Revolution took off with these crops, and there were successes and failures already. Why do it over again?

MANISH - Right now, we've already planned on having mechanisation of farming methods. Next in line, is introducing cultivation of other crops. We personally feel that more variety should be added into the diet of our people.

SURAJ - Apart from producing the necessary rice and wheat crops, we hope to slowly shift towards producing other crops.

JAI - India is one of the largest exporters of Spices such as Turmeric and Cinnamon. We're doing a good business in that. This time, by incorporating more crop varieties in farming - we could be soon using new essential ingredients in our foods.

MANISH - Some of these High Yield Variety crops could have essential health benefits for our people. Maybe not a lot, but it could possibly help raise our country's life expectancy.

MINISTER 3 - Our country already has a high population. By increasing life expectancy even more, won't that put us at risk?

JAI - Not necessarily. High population and this have nothing in common, it's all a matter of giving people access to education, especially more women. I'll move on to that subject after food production. Now we have tons of water coming in for our farmers across the country, more crops and of good quality are being cultivated, we can effectively feed our population, mechanisation and manual methoda are both incorporated so unemployment and productivity is improved. Now there you have it....effective food production.

PM - Hmm....this, this is quite impressive. How long have you been planning this?

JAI - We've done this project over the course of seven years. Doing practical field work and so on. These solutions are implemented based on actual statistics and readings taken by us over the years.

PM - Very nice. This is a good idea. I feel just as how water surplus can make money, so can these HYV crops.

SURAJ - Yes, why not? Because currently almost every part of the world has gotten exposure to foreign cuisines. If we produce surplus of HYV crops, countries like China won't have to rely on exports from Europe and US, they can just ask us and we would be supplying places like them. In fact, why not Asia? We could be one of the key suppliers of HYV crops, an alternative to western export.

PM - Sounds great, but I feel we should bear in mind that first we satisfy our people's hunger, then the others.

JAI - Yes, that is our top priority. Suraj and Manish will be keeping up with statistics of starving people in the country.

PM - Any other aspect of food to focus on?

JAI - Yes. Now we've cleared food production, now I want to raise another issue. Where's the health promotion board? Not trying to offend anyone, but Health Minister!

H. MINISTER - Yes?

JAI - We need you and your department to help go around the country, rating every food and drink establishment.

H. MINISTER - What was that?

JAI - This is a problem these days. Listen, in a country where water is an issue, you don't know whether people use proper water for cooking and so on. I myself, suffered from Typhoid. In fact, India is one of the top five countries, consisting of many people suffering from waterborne diseases. If we look at the key route of this, it's due to the quality of foods. Back in Singapore-

H. MINISTER - Listen, we can't keep doing things like Singapore.

JAI - Listen to me. You need to make sure the people make right choices about where they eat. Street food in places like Paris is different here, you can never be confident about eating good street food. It's a situation a paranoid person would think up, which is checking their kitchens to see if they use proper ingredients and water.

All you need to do is simple. That is simply inspect the food and drink establishments all around the country. Taste their food and drinks, see the working conditions there, see the aesthetics of the place, check their ingredients and utensils, and give a grade. If the restaurant gets an A Grade, people are more then welcome to stay seated and enjoy their meal, without worrying about vomiting or catching diarrhea the next day. If the grading is below borderline C, you better close their businesses, because they're not helping satisfy people's hunger.

H. MINISTER - I see what you mean.

JAI - See, this isn't like a school project where you have a deadline. All we ask is of you and your department to do good, qualitative analysis of each establishment. Take 2 years or more, that doesn't matter. What matters is that you are constantly inspecting if people meet their food and water requirements properly. This too is a benefit, because as soon as we harvest enough rainwater from Cherrapunji, maybe those same close establishments, can re-open. This time, using clean water and equipment in their cooking.

H. MINISTER - Yes, that sounds like a plan.

PM - Very well spotted, Jai.

JAI - I recommend you tell your staff to start inspections from tomorrow itself. There's nothing worse, than having the public accusing you for not taking action for so long.

PM - That's right, we can't deal with the media and the public eye in such circumstances. It'll just delay the project. You inform your staff to head off to do their inspections.

H. MINISTER - Yes, I'll inform them immediately.

[Scene 37]

(News Channels all around India)

NDTV REPORTER - News Headlines, Health Minister has ordered for complete inspections of food and drink establishments in the country. He's proceeding with the hopes that people will hereon make better decisions in choosing the right places to eat. He furthermore adds that a newly introduced grading system will be implemented, to help the people understand food and drink qualities.

(Press Meet with Health Minister)

H. MINISTER - It is important, that people, our country, make good decisions in terms of food and drink choices. Statistics clearly show, that we're in top five countries, having most patients affected by waterborne diseases. I feel, if we can fix the habits of cooking in some of the establishments, people's health won't be at great risk.

(People watching this on TV)

PERSON 1 - Finally yaar....

PERSON 2 - I got Delhi Belly years ago, now they take action. This is just great.

PERSON 3 - Bro, where did you buy the Pani Puri from? Good shop na?

[Scene 38]

NDTV REPORTER - Latest Headlines for today, Larsen and Toubro have built ties with Lite Foundation. Together they'll be collaborating with the government to first set up reservoirs in Cherrapunji, Meghalaya State. According to the team, this idea is being executed for the purpose of increasing the country's water supply.

(People watching this on TV)

PERSON 4 - What's so special about Cherrapunji? Put them in Mumbai na? City has so many people.

PERSON 5 - Wettest place on earth, that's why.

PERSON 6 - Continuous Rainfall throughout the year, I heard.

PERSON 4 - But why in the middle of nowhere? People from China or Bangladesh will find out.

[Scene 39]

(In Cherrapunji, Meghalaya)

VENKAT - We need three reservoirs, 500m apart from each other.

LT SUPERVISOR - Will do.

SUPERVISOR - Make sure you don't cause harm the environment.

LT SUPERVISOR - Sustainable construction will be in the process, sir. No worries...

SUPERVISOR - When's the deadline?

LT SUPERVISOR - In 2 to 3 years, we can have this up and running.

SUPERVISOR - Sounds like a plan.

MURALI - You have a list of transport and market agencies?

SUPERVISOR - Yes, come. Only for those nearby like West Bengal and so on.

MURALI - That will do. We'll go back to Delhi and ask for more information.

[Scene 40]

(Opposing Political Party in their Estate)

O. MINISTER 1 - What's happening, man? They're up and building reservoirs. What're you people doing?

O. LEADER - Get me information about this project. How did they get permission for all this? Lite Foundation is an NGO, how could they possibly tie up with government for a project?

ALL - Yes, very true. It's not possible.

O. LEADER - Exactly, it's not possible. On one side, total health inspection is happening, other side this? Ridiculous.

O. MINISTER 2 - This Jai, head of Lite Foundation. He's from Chennai, now dealing with Government in Delhi. His hometown's government itself is slightly corrupt, and he's bringing that.

O. LEADER - In which states have we won seats?

O. MINISTER 3 - Bihar, Karnataka, Punjab, and West Bengal.

O. LEADER - I don't want them messing with my places. As of now, I want you all to inquire about their plans. If they enter these states, they should be restricted from taking any action. That means health inspection too, because we know what we're doing.

[Scene 41]

(Parliament Meeting Room)

JAI - I want to address Sex, as the next topic in the given hierarchy. Physiological needs are necessary in order for us to move on. We've covered food and water, now sex, because that too is equally important. I recall one of you ministers mentioning how our population is too big. Yes, it is, it's too big. This is putting pressure on matters such as housing, access to food and water, pressure on agriculture, education and jobs even. Competition is too heavy in India, and I'm not saying it's bad. When the competition involves restricting access to necessities for so many people, then it becomes a problem.

We have the ability to take this country to a whole new level, the only problem is that we have too many people. Here's an analogy - A professor one day teachers five students, and the other day he teaches 100 students. During exam time, which batch is more likely to have more successes?

PM - Well, technically, the first batch.

MINISTER 2 - Nevertheless, having more people in the second batch, there'll be more successful people from there too.

JAI - In terms of percentage? The first batch will do great, because this professor put in enough effort and had time to help each and every student. Will the same professor do the same with a hundred students? That's India right now....too many people, and that's we most of us can't do our jobs properly.

Treating everyone with medicine and in hospitals can be a hassle, a company dealing with everyone's network and broadand connections could bring headaches, and so on. Surely, we've started controlling our population. Contraceptives, that's one solution. You've started promotion of contraceptives like condoms, lately.

It's all a marketing strategy. We need enough supply of contraceptives, that too at affordable prices.

MINISTER 4 - Where do we get the capital from? We'll have to buy tons of these contraceptives for 1.3 billion people here.

JAI - Investment and build ties too. We have popular companies like Kohinoor and Kama Sutra manufacturing these contraceptives. It's all upto them to produce enough supply, and at cheaper prices.

MINISTER 5 - They all go for the foreign brands like Durex. What will we do then?

JAI - Indian companies will have to market their products much better. It's all a matter of marketing and making them cheaper, and of good quality. If more people can afford good quality contraceptives as such, then we can expect a decline in our birth rates.

MINISTER 6 - Suppose we don't follow this route? What's our alternative?

JAI - Apart from condoms, we must do the same with other products such as contraceptive pills, and even Sterilization.

MINISTER 5 - Sterilization is done in hospitals. It requires much money for those treatments.

JAI - For that, I say we use the help of medical centres and hospitals to promote usage of contraceptions. Make the sterilization treatments cheaper, that way more people will go for it. If not, no one will do it. Let's face it, cheap and good quality is all we want.

PM - True.

JAI - So, in the case of Sex. Heavy promotion of contraceptions are needed, for that I'll be heading over personally to place ties with the following companies.

PM - Sure.

JAI - What's your take on this action plan?

PM - It seems like a plan. I'm wondering whether or not these companies would gladly collaborate with us.

JAI - If the Government could sponsor this initiative, I'm sure they'll be into this too.

PM - Sure, we can do that. Talk through the plans for them and report back. I'm hoping to see more of these sold in the coming months and years.

[Scene 42]

(Murali and Venkat reach Kolkata - Brilliance Marketing Centre)

VENKAT - We're having reservoirs built in Meghalaya. We want you to help distribute the water supply across West Bengal.

MANAGER - What deal are we talking about here?

MURALI - Distribution in every city, ever town, every village, every hamlet in this state. If possible maybe neighbouring states as well. We're talking 20 Crores business.

MANAGER - Only 20 Crores?

VENKAT - Oh my....what? What're you expecting?

MANAGER - 25 Crores.

VENKAT - This is a Government initiative. Unless you have limited labour to do the work....

MANAGER - We have the labour.

VENKAT - Deal is 20 Crores, you take it or leave it. We can't simply deal 25 Crores with every state in this country. You want the deal or not?

MURALI - We have a high chance of making a surplus, and in ten years time this same business can go international.

MANAGER - Hmm.....deal. 20 Crores, and that's final.

VENKAT - And please, make sure you deliver on time to every household and citizen in this state. We'll come and valuate every home in the country, 6 years later. Everyone better have water supply.

MANAGER - Yes, yes, we'll do that. That's our job.

MURALI - Government is getting tighter with its laws. We don't mean to target anyone, but we're simply warning you about our plans. No mishaps this time.

MANAGER - Sure.

VENKAT - Thank you.

MANAGER - When can we start the distributions?

MURALI - In an other two to three years time. We've come early to make the best reservations.

MANAGER - Fine, fine. I'll wait.

[Scene 43]

(Opposing Political Party in their Estate)

O. LEADER - (On the phone) I see (drops the call).

O. MINISTER 1 - What is happening?

O. LEADER - They're looking into distributing water supply in West Bengal.

O. MINISTER 2 - This is atrocity!! When we have control of the state, how can they simply come in and take over?! What are we for then?

O. LEADER - Call them in. We need to talk.

[Scene 44]

(West Bengal Government Building)

MURALI - Here, sir. Our distribution plans, and tax.

OFFICER 1 - Hmm....seems alright. Pay 10 Crores extra.

VENKAT - What? Why?

OFFICER 1 - Tax. You're about to run a big water distribution business in the state, tax is 10 Crore.

MURALI - Business deal is only 20 Crore. You're asking for this much?

OFFICER 1 - You want them in the cities, in the villages, in the towns, even in hamlets. That requires tax.

VENKAT - Sir, this is not good business. How can such business ask for so much money as tax? What? Bribe?

OFFICER 1 - This is not my decision, this is the ruling party's decision (shows picture of Opposing Party's leader - behind him). You're in West Bengal, control is under his power. You'll have to be under his rule now, in order to do good business.

MURALI - I'll contact the main Government in Delhi and report you all. We're in ties with them.

OFFICER 1 - Go for it. Do whatever you want. Ultimately, they too will tell you the same. If you want, talk to our sir, himself.

[Scene 45]

(Opposing Political Party Leader's Office)

O. LEADER - Water Distribution Business? In West Bengal? What're you talking. If you had the idea, why didn't you approach us? You fixed he deal with the government in Haryana. This is West Bengal. If you want things to go smoothly, you approach us first, and we'll take the action.

MURALI - Well, s-sorry about that.

O. LEADER - That's okay. That's fine....in fact, I myself was hoping you would tie up with us. It's all fate, what can we say. Leave that aside, you said you objected to pay 10 Crore Tax? Why is that?

VENKAT - Price is so high. Who would want to do that?

O. LEADER - Political Pressure is high here. The Chief Minister is facing problems on all sides now with business as such. We'll have to raise taxes to maintain the balance.

MURALI - I'll speak with the Chief Minister then-

O. LEADER - Hey! I'm the big boss. Chief Minister is only running West Bengal. I'm running four or more other states here.

VENKAT - What do you suggest now?

O. LEADER - 10 Crores Tax, or say goodbye to your deals. I could've had you speak with the finance ministers in this building. You should be glad, you're speaking directly with me. I'm telling you now, there's no way out. Pay up, or bye-bye water.

MURALI - W-We'll just pay up.

(Leader smiles)

VENKAT - Y-You'll receive the amount by tomorrow.

O. LEADER - See? That's not so hard. You're partnered up with the Main Government. You have enough capital, right? This is your only plan.

MURALI - We actually have, more plans to execute. We're trying to be cost efficient, and don't want to give away so much for the projects. Where else are you in rule?

O. LEADER - Bihar, Karnataka, and Punjab.

MURALI - Okay. We'll be careful next time.

(they leave)

O. LEADER - Careful is always good!
♠ ♠ ♠
Jai and his team are up and at it - assisting the Government. New projects, new troubles arise.