Status: Contest Entry - Complete

Gem 'n i

Investigating the house of the Lord

“What happened here, Father?”

“I don't know, Officer. She said she came to confess and then…this happened.”

“Well, I suppose we know what sin she came to confess.”

“Officer, this is not a joking matter! A daughter of God just took her life away!”

“You're right. I apologize for my bluntness. Forgive me, Father?”

“This is the house of the Lord. You may seek forgiveness from me, but only He can offer it to you, son.”

“Right. I've never been very religious before, but seeing this, well, I'll just say it has me second guessing. Did she say anything out of the ordinary?”

“After forty-seven years of confessions, nothing seems out of the ordinary anymore.”

“That's rather morbid, especially coming from a man of God such as yourself.”

“I'm sorry, Officer. It's just such a shame. I - I wi – wi - wish I could've done more to help her…so, so young.”

“I understand, Father. You've done extremely well so far, just keep it together for me a little bit longer and please, do your best to remember what you can. Anything can help. Anything at all.”

“Uhm, she mentioned someone. A girl.”

“Good. What was the girl’s name?”

“Gem.”

“Okay. Anything else you can tell me, Father?”

“No, that's all, Officer. The poor girl though, she won't find any peace even in death.”

“Excuse me, Father?”

“The act of suicide is a sin. Whatever she sought to find solace from, she escaped it, but at a cost. Now, she will be forced to suffer eternal damnation in the scorching depths of Hell.”

“If that's the truth, I hope whatever she was trying to leave behind was worth it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This story will be strictly dialogue for a contest I am entered in. Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is much appreciated.