Status: Contest Entry - Complete

Gem 'n i

Picking apart the Analyst's brain

“Hello, Megan. My name is Dr. Urie. I am your new psychiatrist.”

“Hi, Dr. Urie. It's nice to meet you.”

“Ahem!”

“Yes?”

“What about me? Am I invisible or something?”

“Beg your pardon?”

“I'm Gem. Meg's better half. But as per fucking usual, little Ms. Innocent here gets all the attention.”

“Oh! I'm sorry Gem. I didn't mean to ignore you, I jus-”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Spare me your excuse. Where's Dr. Quack?”

“Excuse me?”

“Geez, lady. For a doctor you’re not very bright. I'm referring to Dr. Miller. Our old psycho analyst.”

“I resent that. We are not ‘psycho analysts.’ The correct term is psychologist.”

“Oh, my bad. ‘Duh kah-rek turhm ees sci-kawl-oh-jist.’ Yes, I was imitating you. That's how you sound. I would win an award for my impersonation of you if I ever entered an impersonation contest. Now, like I asked before, where is Doc Quackers?”

“Uh, well, Dr. Qua – I mean Miller, is taking some time off for the indefinite future.”

“How come?”

“Well, that information is personal so I'm not allowed to discuss his reasons.”

“Ha, that's rich!”

“Uh, I – I don't quite follow…”

“Supposedly, we have a doctor-patient confidentiality agreement, but I know you all run your mouths off to one another when the patients aren't around. But it's just so typical that you'll protect your co-workers confidential info. You make me sick!”

“I – I – uhm…Meg! You're awfully quiet. Do you have anything to add to Gem’s uh…argument?”

“Eh, not really.”

“Are you sure? Nothing at all?”

“Well, I guess, I am kinda curious about why Doctor Miller isn't here. He was a familiar face.”

“See! Even proper, little Megan wants to know where the Quack’s waddled off to. It seems pretty selfish of him to up and run away from his two favorite patients.”

“I don't think I'd call it selfish, but it might have been nice to hear him tell us instead of just leaving without word. I was finally starting to feel comfortable talking with him.”

“Don't worry, Meg. I'm here for you now and I'll listen to anything you have to say. I’m a very easy person to talk to.”

“I dunno. As for me, I'm an open book, but Meg here has a real hard time trusting others. We only have each other to rely on and that's the way it's always been.”

“Is that true, Meg? Do you feel like the only person you can trust is Gem?”

“Yeah. It's always just been the two of us.”

“What about your parents? Surely you could count on them?”

“Not really.”

“What do you mean?”



“Look, she doesn't wanna talk about it, okay?”

“Okay. Perhaps another time then. How about you, Gem? Do you have anything to share about your parents?”

“Yeah. They're dead to me. Figuratively and literally.”

“Oh, my! I'm so sorry to hear th-"

"Pfft! Quit lyin’ Doc. I bet you already knew our parents were dead. It's in our files is it not?”

“Uh – uhm, well, ye – yes it is, but I-”

“You were trying to use emotion to pull something new out of us. We know. We're not as dim as we look. However, I can't say the same for you.”

“I was just trying to delve deeper into the subject. You girls are probably burying some feelings down deep and leaving them unresolved.”

“You're most likely right, but that doesn't change the fact that you tried to manipulate us. Huh, Meg?”

“When she's right, she's right. We don't fall for transparent tactics, Doctor Urie.”

“I'm sorry girls. I'll make a note of that for next time.”

“Would you look at that? You analysts actually are human.”

“Human? As opposed to…?

“All Gem meant was we could tell you meant the apology.”

“Exactly. It was the first real thing you've said to us in our whole session. There may be hope for you just yet.”

“Uh, thank you…I think.”

“You're welcome! Well, I'd say it was nice, but I'd rather not lie. ‘Til next time Doc.”

“Oh, my goodness! The session is already over! Alright girls, I'll see you at our next meeting. It was a pleasure meeting you both.”

“It was nice to meet you, Dr. Urie. See you next week.”

“Hurry up, Meg! Let's go!”

“Coming! You shouldn't take everything Gem says to heart. She just doesn't like people picking her brain. Okay, well, bye.”

“I'll try to remember that. Good-bye, Meg.”

*door clicks shut*

...

“Somehow I don't feel like I was the one picking anyone’s brain.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Gem and Meg
Hopefully that helps to decipher who is speaking.
Let me know what you guys think so far.