Status: Contest Entry - Complete

Gem 'n i

Mind games

“Good morning, Meg…Gem.”

“Morning, Dr. Urie.”

“What's up, Doc?”

“Today I wanted to try something a little bit different than what Dr. Miller has been doing.”

“What do you mean?”

“This isn't gonna hurt, is it?”

“No, there is no pain involved. I want us to try an experiment where I speak only with Meg, for today. Gem, you may remain in the room, if you wish, but you must refrain from speaking on Meg’s behalf.”

“Do pray tell, oh wise Doctor, what this experiment is meant to do?”

“It will give Megan a chance to open up and me a chance to get to know her better.”

“Aww, you don't want to get to know me?”

“We can reverse roles next time and you will be the one to speak and Meg will listen.”

“Hmm, sounds intriguing. What do you think, M?”

“Uhm, I guess we can give it a shot.”

“Splendid! Now Gem, you must remember you are only listening. Megan, some of these questions I am going to ask may be difficult for you to answer just let me know if you're not comfortable with the question and we can skip it.”

“Okay.”

“How close would you say you are with, Gem?”

“Well, we're inseparable.”

“Has it always been that way?”

“Yup. Ever since I can remember. Gem’s the one who always took care of me.”

“What about your parents?”

“Uhm, well…our dad passed when we were five and our mother was never around.”

“Do you remember your father very well?”

“Not really…I do have this one memory of seeing him and Gem together though. He would always lift her up and he'd nuzzle his nose against her face ‘til she was in a fit of giggles and he would call her his special little gem.”

“That's sweet. What would he call you?”

“I don't know. That's the only thing I remember about him.”

“How about your mother? What can you tell me about her?”

“I wish I could forget her just like I did him.”

“There is not one good memory?”

“My mom was a drug addict. She OD’d. She was hardly ever home and even when she was, she was never in the right state of mind. It was better when she wasn't around, better than seeing her high off of her drug choice of the day.”

“Did you have anyone to take care of you?”

“Nope. The neighbors avoided us like the plague. Our mother was the junkie, but we were her offspring which was the same thing to them. We learned to take care of ourselves at a young age.”

“Is it correct to assume that your mother’s drug abuse started after you father’s death.”

“Yes.”

“Is it also correct to assume that you don't have any recollection of your childhood before the memory you mentioned of your father?”

“Yeah.”

“So can I also assume that your first memory of Gem was not until the aforementioned memory of your father?”

“I guess so. Yeah.”

“How do you know it was Gem?”

“What?”

“How do you know for sure that it was Gem in your memory and not you?”

“I don't understand the question.”

“Could it be possible that the memory of Gem and your father was actually a memory of you and your father?”

“What? No. What does that even mean?”

“Doctor you're starting to not make sense.”

“Gem, you agreed to be silent.”



“Meg, you say that you and Gem are inseparable. Why do you think that is?”

“Because we're twins.”

“No. What if I told you that Gem is not your twin. You are Gem.”

“Dr. Urie, you're freaking me out.”

“Yeah. Me too.”

“It's okay, girls. Our session is over for the day. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. Next time it will be your turn to speak, Gem.”

“I'll have to think about it. I didn't exactly like the questions you asked, Meg.”

“Yes, well, you can think about it then.”

“Uh, okay. Bye Dr. Urie.”

“Bye, Megan.”

“Catch ya later, Quack.”

“…bye, Gem.”

“Oh, also, Meg has decided to stop taking her medication. She doesn't need it anymore.”

“Are you sure about this, Meg?”

“…yes.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Gem and Meg