Status: Slowly starting

Shut Your Mouth

Surprised To See You Here

The clubhouse had gotten busier again by the time Violet left Happy’s dorm, she could hear music and chatter coming from the main room. She was very much aware that people would be watching her after their very public display last night and whatever was witnessed this morning, but at this stage she didn’t really care.
Dressed in plain jeans and a tank top, she made her way through the steadily growing crowds towards the bar, smiling at one of the prospects and ordering a beer. She didn’t pay any mind to the stares some of the people were throwing her way, Violet knew better than to cause yet another scene. If Happy and her were going to try and work things out, she would be around here more often and she wanted to male sure that she was welcome.

“I’m glad to see you’ve found your way back Vi, you had a few people worried this morning.”

She turned her head as she heard Lyla’s voice, shooting her a small smile. They had never been too close, but it was good to know at least someone other than the bikers in this place.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. It was a crazy 24 hours. Haven’t had much time to process everything, but I think I’m in a better headspace now. Haven’t seen much of you last night, did you have fun?”

Lyla laughed and settled on the stool next to her, gratefully accepting a fresh bottle of chilled beer from the Prospect manning the bar without even asking for it.

“Club parties are always wild, it’s easy to lose yourself but it’s fun. Never the same without Ope being here, but still good to just put everything else on hold for the time being.”

She had overheard some of the girls back at Cara Cara talking about her husband being killed in prison a couple of years back but she had never asked more about it. Lyla had always come across as a woman with a solid head on her shoulders who wouldn’t take anyone’s crap, and she respected her for that.

“I’m sorry that you’ve lost your husband, I heard about it at the studio once. I assume he was in the MC?”

Lyla nodded as she took a deep pull from her beer, a somber expression on her pretty face.

“We were far from perfect, but I loved him. The things he did for this club, his brothers…I never understood until after he was gone and these people become my family. They helped me through a very dark time and I am lucky that I know I have these guys behind me, even now. Happy is a good guy once you get past his hard exterior, as long as you don’t blindside him.”

The last words were obviously meant for me, and their eyes met with her holding an inquisitive glance. Violet wasn’t sure what to respond to that.

“These guys have gone through hell and back in the past, and I haven’t been around for all of it, but I have come to learn that the few women they let close to them mean the world to them and they get fiercely protected. Happy obviously seems to care for you. All I’m trying to say is: don’t fuck it up. If this kind of life doesn’t agree with you, better tell him quick before he gets himself lost. They’re always coming across like tough guys, but trust me: if they care for you, you could break their heart just as easily.”

Violet nodded that she understood, not sure how to respond. Lyla was probing her as the newcomer she was; it was one thing to work on set with her, but she was about to enter a circle of people she considered family and she drew a clear line in the sand.
Women had intuition. Maybe she got the wrong vibe from her, why else would she lay down the law for her, no matter how gentle she had done it. Violet found it hard to distinguish between her real feelings and the job she still had. What parts of this was she meant to report to the PD back in Stockton? Was this purely a mission to find her sister’s killer or had it become more in the last 24 hours? Her head was swimming and she masked it by quickly taking a drink from her beer.

“I don’t want to scare you, I just wanted to give you a little insight. We have lost a lot of loved ones in recent years, so feelings are still a bit raw and the boys especially are a bit more suspicious about people. It’s great to see that Happy has taken a liking to you, he can be…a little kept at best. If you ever need to talk to someone, I’m always here. I have been at the exact point you’re at right now. I-“

she got cut off as the double doors to the meeting room were torn open, loud laughter erupting from the men exiting. Both women looked towards the commotion and Violet had the sudden urge to get drunk. How the fuck was she going to be in a fake relationship with someone who obviously second guessed everything? It was obvious that there was an attraction, otherwise she would have gone to the nearest cop shop to report him for rape this morning.

“Quick piece of advise: don’t get too friendly with other men whilst being with Happy.”

Lyla whispered before getting off her stool and pressing a swift kiss to Violet’s cheek, making her way into the crowd.

“Can I get two shots of tequila please!”

Violet slapped a few notes on the bar, suddenly more than ready to get intoxicated. She could feel the hairs on the back of her neck standing at attention, as a warm breath hit her skin. She knew it wasn’t Hap, she could have told by his scent.

“Put your money away chula, drinks are on me. Make that 4.”

Alvarez moved into the spot Lyla had just vacated moments before, a small smile on his lips as his eyes were scanning her face.
Violet nodded in a silent ‘thank you’ as the shot glasses were pushed in front of them.

“Surprised to see you still hanging around girl, thought last night was enough to chase you off.”

She raised the first glass and nodded again, before quickly swallowing the amber liquid down, clanking the glass back onto the wooden counter.

“Takes more than a little misunderstanding to send me packing.”

She responded as her eyes scanned his face. She wasn’t sure what his game was, but she didn’t trust his motives, especially after Lyla’s little speech. His brows rose as he himself lifted his glass, watching her raise her second one at the same time.

“Then why are you hitting the liquor so hard?”

He smirked before hitting back his shot, but she had finished before him, clonking down her glass before him.

“Ain’t a girl allowed to party?”

He was about to respond when two arms snaked around her middle from behind. Alvarez’ demeanor changed slightly, but he was quick to mask it.

“Have you told her yet?”

Happy’s raspy voice sounded from right next to her ear and she had to close her eyes for a second as it sent waves of pleasure throughout her body. Fuck, the tequila was working much faster than she had anticipated. Once they opened, she could see the man with the slicked back hair smile at her: he knew exactly what had just happened.

“Didn’t get the chance to yet, she was besting me in taking shots. She’s quite the little devil, should have known.”

He offered his 2nd glass to Happy who gladly accepted and who knocked the shot back in no time.

“Alvarez said he may have some info on your sister’s killing.”

At this, Violet’s eyes opened up completely and she swung around, looking at Happy’s face before turning her head to the Mexican sitting next to her. Her throat was still burning from the tequila and she quickly rubbed her suddenly sweaty hands on her denim pants, looking at him for answers. He slid his palm over his greased hair and raised three fingers to the Prospect behind the bar signaling for refills.

“Since your boyfriend mentioned your problems yesterday, I have been digging around a little bit. Looks like some of my guys knew your sister from hanging out at bars. They said that she’s been off a few weeks before her death. Like she’s been scared, but she never said anything. One of the girls working the bar told them that she’d been there with an older guy a few times and that he got a bit loud once.”

Violet licked her lips, hanging on his every word. An older guy?

“I will have my boys going back to the bar in the next few days to see if she has a description, but I thought it was as good a lead as any.”

He handed the glasses to herself and Happy, his eyes very much trying to read her reaction. Her eyes were fluttering, they didn’t seem to focus on anything and her hand was shaking ever so slightly. He wasn’t sure if it was from alcohol or the information he had just given her. Yesterday night, he would have gladly pounded down every door to get the information she needed, but seeing the man standing behind her, he held the cards to his chest a little bit closer. Yes, he was more than willing to help this woman on her quest to avenge her sister’s killer but only if it held benefits for him.

“Here’s to new leads!”

Happy said, raising his glass and they all downed their drinks. As soon as she had finished her drink, she slipped from her stool and turned.

“Sorry, I gotta go for the restroom.”

Alvarez stood from his spot like a gentleman, waiting for her to quickly press a kiss to Happy’s cheek before making a haste escape. Both men looked after her before Happy took her spot and scratched his chin.

“I don’t appreciate you sneaking around man, we agreed I would tell her and that you’d come back to us if you had something solid.”

Happy was staring at the man next to him, not too glad about the way things had gone down just now. He hadn’t wanted to give her hope before there was anything solid, but seeing Alvarez sitting with her, he wanted to play nice.

“She looked like she needed the company. I wasn’t the one bringing this whole shit up, it was you. You sure she’s cut out for this, she seems a bit…skittish. Can’t put my finger on it, but either it’s you or the MC thing.”

Alvarez looked into Hap’s eyes, knowing that he was pushing it, but he was also aware that the other man wouldn’t be able to do anything after they had just struck peace at church a little while ago.

“You just told her that you may have a lead to finding her sister’s killer, of course she is skittish. I have been watching her for months now, she is as good as they come. Handed me her phone today without a second thought. What’s your deal?”

Alvarez just smiled, ordering some more shots; some things didn’t need to pass his lips today. He was very well aware of McNulty’s past and now of her present. He would hold the information he had until it was needed to be revealed, meanwhile working on helping Happy’s task of finding her sister’s killers.