Collision

Chapter Five

I couldn’t decide if the goodbye was more or less awkward than before. All I know is that Alex was sulking when I finally said we should be going home because it had already been half an hour longer than I’d said we would stay. She refused to talk to me on the bus home and walked straight to her bedroom as soon as we stepped in the door.

I was down in the kitchen the next morning, having already gotten dressed, when she finally emerged. She was wearing a ratty white dressing gown, one side of her hair was sticking up in tufts and she was squinting from the bright light. It made a funny sight.

“Make me chocolate chip pancakes,” she said, slumping at the table.

“Excuse me?”

She looked up at me, leaning against the counter with a cup of tea in my hands. “I said make me chocolate chip pancakes. You promised last night.”

I took a long, deliberate sip of my drink. “Yeah, and you stalked off and slammed your door in my face,” I complained. “Anyway, I have to get ready for work.”

“You mean I have to be nice to you to get you to do things? Ugh, this sister stuff is such hard work.” She sat up, placing her hands together in a begging way. “Please please please.”

I looked at her, long and hard, and then finally sighed. “Fine. The meeting isn’t until 10, I guess. And it is a weekend.” I turned back around, put the mug down on the countertop, and started gathering ingredients together. As I grabbed a bowl from the cupboard under the kettle the doorbell rang. “Alex, get that for me—” I paused and looked at the state of my sister. I’m pretty sure she’d already fallen asleep with her cheek pressed to the tabletop. “Nevermind, I’ll get it.”

I shut the cupboard door with a swing of my hip and walked towards the door, wondering who was calling at eight in the morning on a Saturday. Whoever it was, they would be getting the brunt of my wrath if it wasn’t important. I opened the door, ready to yell at someone, and then stopped dead.

“Hello,” said the visitor politely, handing me a business-card. “I’m Joey. Can I talk to Alex?”

I froze, staring at the little blue card in my hand with neat words printed on it. “Er, uhm, sure, just, give me a few seconds,” I said, leading him inside. “Take a seat in the lounge, I’ll just go get her.”

I ran into the kitchen and found her already looking up at me. “Who was it?”

“Go get dressed Alex. You need to make a good impression. Go on, go!” I shooed her away, then walked back to see Joey. “Sorry, she’s just in the bathroom. Give her five minutes. Would you like a cup of tea or anything?”

“Oh no, I’m avoiding caffeine at the moment,” he explained. I looked him over, taking in the gelled up black and blonde hair and piercings, and the fact that the suit he was wearing looked too big and he was tugging at the collar ever so often uncomfortably.

Alex skipped down the stairs a few minutes later, interrupting the small talk I’d tried to get going with this Joey. Thank god, because it was as awkward as hell. He stood up to shake her hand and then she sat down next to me on the sofa, facing him sitting on the armchair opposite. I noticed she’d listened to me and was wearing her favourite and nicest pair of jeans and a top with no obscenities on it for once. It was kind of cancelled out by the blue and black hair, mind you.

“Hey Alex, I’m Joey. I work for this record company called 336 Records. You might have heard of us, but in case you didn’t we mostly sign indie rock bands. friend of mine happened to catch your performance at the Underworld a few days ago and suggested I check you out. His name’s Carl, perhaps he talked to you? I listened to a few of your songs and I’m pretty impressed.”

“What is this about?” I asked, wondering if I was missing something.

“Well,” he started, looking straight at us both. “I’m a talent scout, and I’d like to sign Susie Ain’t Your Friend.”

With this, Alex looked about to faint.

She took my hand in a death grip, arranging her face so it didn’t look so shocked. “Uhm, wow. Er, how did you get our address, though?”

Good question, I thought, narrowing my eyes.

“It was on your website,” he said, looking surprised.

I turned to Alex and hit her. “There’s all sorts of creeps on the internet,” I chided her. “You can’t just put your address on it!”

“Oh, I forgot,” she said innocently, plastering a smile on her face as she turned back to Joey. “So, you’re interested in signing us, right?” she repeated. “Well, I’d just like you to know there are several other scouts interested, and you’ll have competition. Obviously, we’ll be going with the best contract.”

I gave her a confused look. Since when had there been other scouts? Then it clicked, and I felt slightly impressed. She was manipulating him. Ahh, attagirl, I thought, proudly. I’d taught her well.

Joey didn’t look like he knew exactly what to say to this little revelation, but his polite smile didn’t falter. “Of course,” he said smoothly after a few seconds. “I assure you 336 is the best place for your band. We’re all about the music.”

“And what would this entail?” I questioned. “Them getting signed by you, I mean.”

“Well, normally it involves working out an agreement with the band, so the other members would have to be there, and then depending on the terms we offer an advance to record the record and release it. Then a portion of the profits will go towards us. If it’s a hit, you could be looking at a tour within a couple of months.”

Alex nodded slowly in understanding. “Right. And how many bands do you have signed currently? What kind of power do you have behind promoting and selling a record?”

Wow, she could be a great lawyer, I thought, looking at the way my sister was sat forward with her hands clasped in her lap. She was giving him her whole attention but managed to look like he was the one listening to her.

He cleared his throat and started explaining a bit more. After another fifteen minutes of chatting, Alex finally held up a hand.

“Alright. 336 does sound like a good choice. But we need to set up a meeting with the others before we decide anything.”

Joey nodded. “I get that. How is next Saturday?”

“It’s fine,” she said. “Do you have nearby offices?”

“Yeah,” he replied, waiting for her to grab a pen and paper from the coffee table before giving the address. “I’ll see you all there at about ten? Just ask for Joey Ruiz.”

“Alright,” I said, as we said goodbye and I showed him to the door. “It was nice to meet you Joey.”

“You too,” he said, waving goodbye and walking back to the rather smart looking car parked in front of our house. When I closed the door with a thud and leant against it, a squeal came from my sister. She threw herself at me and I hugged her tightly.

“OH MY GOD!” she said, completely losing the cool façade she’d put on. “I’ve been dreaming about this day for years!”

I smiled tiredly, excited myself but trying not to show just how much. “How about those pancakes then?” I said, walking back to the kitchen with Alex following me like a little energetic puppy.

“Yeah!” She yelled, grinning. “But wait, I have to tell the band. This is... awesome!”

I nodded, pushing her out of the kitchen. “Go phone them all, then,” I said, picking up the ingredients and utensils I’d discarded when I’d gone to answer the door and restarted my attempt at making chocolate chip pancakes.

~*~

The week went by quickly enough. Alex started obsessively researching reading contracts, small print, things to ask about, and I helped her out by providing her with a few hours of my precious time — well, actually, I had nothing to do and she’d stolen my laptop to use the internet so I just hovered, giving my own input every so often. The guys came around almost every day, practising songs and discussing the news in excited whispers. I wondered what had happened to only practising around here once, but I was too lazy to find out.

We arranged for everyone to meet at nine thirty in a coffee shop, near the address Joey had given Alex, and then walk up there. It was now nine twenty-five and Alex was getting impatient. She’d dressed to impress that day, but more in a ’killer rockstar’ way than ’good girl’. Her wrist was adorned with numerous spiky things, her belt buckle was made of so much metal I was surprised she hadn’t toppled over already from the weight, and she was wearing pitch black skinny jeans which only highlighted the fact I could probably wrap a hand around her thigh easily.

She wouldn’t stop twitching, and now she’d started tapping her fingers against the cheap plastic table top in an irritating way. Tap, tap, tap. Taptap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, taptap.

“Stop it,” I snapped finally, laying a hand on top of hers.

She pulled her hand away and looked at me. “Sorry sis, I’m just... worried.”

“Don’t be. It’s gonna work out fine.” I tried giving her one of my award-winning reassuring smiles, but the anxiety I was feeling made it hard. I glanced at the clock above the door for the third time that minute. As I started to look away I noticed three familiar faces peering in the window. Finley, Jack and Red had just appeared outside, bundled up in winter clothes but unmistakably them. I waved them over, glad that Alex could finally relax. They all waved back and tumbled into the store, bringing a wave of cold with them which made me shiver.

Finley grinned as he pulled his gloves off, shaking snow out of his hair. “God it’s cold out,” he said, briskly shoving Alex so she’d move over and sitting down next to her.

“Yeah, it’s winter,” Red said. No shit sherlock, I thought about adding, but I kept my mouth shut. “I hate winter,” he added, looking morose.

Jack was probably the most cheerful out of all of them. He had a wide grin spread across his face. “Dudes, this is the day that’s gonna change our lives and you’re all whining about the weather?” He said, giving everyone an incredulous look.

“It is pretty bad,” I said defensively, even if I giggled after I said it when I realized how ridiculous we were acting. “But Jack’s got a point, guys. Perk the fuck up. I just spent all last week arguing with mother to let Alex come on this little excursion. God only knows what it’s gonna take to get her to agree to sign anything.”

“If anything comes out of this,” Red said.

“No, when,” Finley said, hitting him on the shoulder gently. “Optimism! We’re gonna blow their minds.”

~*~

This was how I found myself standing in an office (there had been four chairs which everyone else had promptly taken before I could even register that, and I’d quickly refused Jack’s offer for me to sit in his lap) facing Joey Ruiz and another man, who looked all the more business-like than the tattooed and pierced Joey, behind a desk wearing identical friendly smiles. The other guy had been introduced, but I’d already forgotten his name. Adam or Austin or Adrian or something. I settled for calling him ’A-guy’ in my head.

He folded his hands on the desk. “So, you’re the latest wonder Joey had found?” He asked, glancing at the nervous looking band opposite. Alex shifted awkwardly in her seat, glancing at Red, who was determinedly staring at his shoes. Jack was fiddling with the corner of his light grey shirt.

“That would be us,” Finley said brightly, apparently immune to the nervous atmosphere. “And you’re interested in signing us, I believe?”

“More than interested,” Joey interjected, before A-guy could respond. He still had the grin in place. I was reminded slightly of a shark. “I, personally, think you guys have all the qualities we’re looking for.”

“You’ve come highly recommended from a few of our close advisers, Joey included,” A-guy said. “Would you be tempted by a contract with us?”

Jack looked up from his shirt and smiled in his normal confident way, even if I could see from his twitching fingers he was everything but that. “I think I’d like to hear the benefits first,” he said smoothly. Alex made a noise of agreement.

A-guy hesitated slightly, seemingly off-put by the lack of eagerness. “Of course!” He said. And then he launched into a speech about their brand, the contract they’d be offering, the plans, and the other important factors. I should have been listening, but I’d been distracted. My phone was vibrating in my pocket — I’d set it on silent as I’d walked in, but I hadn’t expected for it to actually ring.

It was a picture message, and took about five minutes for it to load on my awesomely fast phone. I really needed an upgrade. It turned out to be a blurry shot which looked like it been taken in a rush of what appeared to be dimly-lit and empty room.

just landed in brisbane. look at this! g

I stared at the picture for a few more seconds until I finally realised it was a picture of an arena taken from the stage. is that your venue? that’s huge! I typed back.

It took only a few seconds for a reply. indeed. interview in ten minutes. wish us luck. g

I quickly typed do you really need it? before putting my phone away again and tuning back into the conversation.

“... of about which fifty percent will go towards you...” A-guy was saying. I had no clue what he was talking about but I could hazard a guess it was profits. Alex looked pretty involved though.

“So I hear you’ve already got a lot of material for a CD?” A-guy said finally, his smile still in place.

Alex nodded, taking charge. “Yeah, we’ve written about twelve songs or so, I’ve got loads of lyrics with no music, and we’ve already put together a demo.”

“Sounds good. In fact, if you’ve really already got that much we might be able to arrange a tour before the CD. Usually we spend months messing around trying to get newly signed bands to realize we need them to work not just sit around.” A-guy nodded approvingly. “Heck, this time next year, you guys could be playing at Warped Tour.”

I knew Red’s eyes would light up, even if I couldn’t see them. “Warped Tour?” He repeated, not just a hint but a gush of enthusiasm in his usually bored voice.

“You betcha. I’ve seen more surprising things happen,” Joey said, nodding with A-guy. They were like two bobble-headed dolls, I thought. “I have to discuss the finer details with Adrian,” he said, looking at A-guy. So that was his name. I kept smiling. “How about I call you guys tomorrow?”

Everyone nodded, and Alex made sure they had our home phone and her mobile number, then all four of them stood up. Finley spent five minutes looking for his gloves before realizing they were tucked in the sleeves of his jacket, and then another couple of minutes looking for his hat. Eventually, though, we were all ready, and so we said our goodbyes and trooped out of the office.

Once on the street outside I turned to the group following me. “Who’s for celebratory cake?” I asked, and there was a chorus of positive responses.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is highly inaccurate, but I needed to simplify the process a bit. So, uh, sorry.