What You Can't Have, You Can't Resist

Brilliant or Shit?

The beginning notes to Waiting could be heard. The song basically expressed what I was feeling at that moment. I closed my eyes, still playing the right chords.

I opened my eyes about a minute later, to find Billie Joe’s had closed too. He must’ve been concentrating on the notes coming from my guitar. Tré was listening intently; a huge grin formed on his face once again.

I finished playing the last chords of the song, and placed my guitar back against the closet. I waited nervously for an answer from either Billie Joe or Tré. The room was silent.
“Wow Laura, that was frickin’ amazing!” Tré chirped up.
“Really? You aren’t just saying that, right?” I asked him nervously. He shook his head violently.
“What? Of course not Lau. I truly mean it – you were fucking awesome!” Tré exclaimed. I nodded gratefully. I turned nervously towards Billie Joe. I had to admit, I really wanted him to be proud of me – and proud of his song. I felt so nervous that I thought I might pass out again. He hadn’t even opened his eyes yet! What the hell was going though his mind? Was I brilliant? Was I shit?

After what seemed like hours, Billie Joe opened his eyes. He stared straight at my guitar. He kept that position for a few moments and then his eyes met my hazel ones. If I hadn’t felt so nervous, this would be a perfect moment. Not that it wasn’t already.

“It was fucking awesome, right Bill?” Tré exclaimed again happily. I stayed silent.
“I seriously don’t think awesome is the right word,” Billie Joe simply muttered. My heart felt like it’d been torn into pieces.
“Maybe the right word would be… mind-blowing? Extraordinary? Is there even a word?” Billie Joe finished, smirking widely.

My mouth dropped and my heard sealed back up. I tried my best to hide my grin. Billie Joe was complimenting my playing. MINE!

“Oh, um thanks,” I said, going slightly pink.
“That was amazing Laura, really.”
“More than amazing!” Tré shouted cheerfully.
“Really? I thought I sucked!”
Tré laughed. “Course you don’t suck – you fucking owned!”
I grinned widely. Was I honestly that good?
“Come on then, play us some more stuff!” Billie Joe said, excited.
“Uh, okay. Well, this is like my favourite Green Day song so…”
I began to play the start of Hitchin’ A Ride. I strummed my pick hard through the chorus, trying my best to impress Tré and Billie Joe, who were both watching me intently.

I finished the song, bowing and laughing. The men both grinned in union.
“Awesome,” said Billie Joe.
“Thank you,” I grinned back, setting my guitar down.
“Well kid, you’ve got talent,” remarked Tré. I smiled at him.
“Thanks again,” I said.
“I’m sorry to rush you off Laura, but we have a show in about two hours, and we really need to get ready-“ Billie Joe began.
“Oh fuck the show! I wanna hear some more sweet music!” Tré sulked. I giggled.
“Well, it’s been great meeting you guys!” I smiled brightly, but I had to admit that I was gutted that I had to go.
“You too… hey, kid? You wanna come back tomorrow? We’re gonna have a little celebration if the show goes well as it’ll be our first show of the tour tonight,” Billie Joe explained to me. I felt like my insides had practically turned to fucking mush. Billie Joe fucking Armstrong wanted to see me again!
“Sure! If I can get away from my shitty family,” I sighed.
“Why are they shitty?” Billie Joe asked, raising his eyebrows suspiciously.
“Can I explain another time? It’s just that it’s a long story…” I explained, staring down at my shoes.
“Um, sure. Oh yeah, come over about half seven-ish; is that cool with you?” Billie Joe pondered. I nodded back.
“Yeah, that’d be great. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” I grinned, picking up my guitar and walking out of their suite. Billie Joe and Tré waved from their doorway.