What You Can't Have, You Can't Resist

"Guitar-playing-make-believe-friends!"

I practically pranced down the hallway, feeling like I was on top of the world. I jolted past a wall clock, which read 7:15pm. Wow. I must’ve passed out for a pretty long time. I stepped into the lift and punched the button for the twelfth floor. I ran out of the lift as it reached the floor and towards my family’s suite. I burst through the door to find my Mom and Bruce on the sofa, watching the television.

“How ‘effin rude… no knock or anything,” muttered Bruce to my mother. I saw her nod in agreement.
“Where have you been?” my mother asked sharply.
“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” I laughed. I honestly felt so happy it was unbelievable. And yet, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I had just gotten back from Green Day’s hotel room after playing guitar to Billie Joe Armstrong and Tré Cool. It still hadn’t completely sunk in.
Bruce sighed. “Try me.”
“I just played guitar to Green Day!” I cried, grinning.
My mom and Bruce burst into fits of laughter.
“What’s so funny?” I snapped.
“The fact that you’ve started to make up guitar-playing-make-believe friends!” my Mom wheezed, coughing from laughter. Bruce chuckled loudly. The smile faded from my lips.
“Oh yah, sure. I’d really be as sad as that to make up imaginary friends wouldn’t I?” I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. My Mom and Bruce were still hooting with laughter.
“Whatever. Fuck this,” I muttered and I retrieved my guitar then headed to my room. My room was dark and I slumped down onto the cold bed.

I just realized I had started to get a headache. My head was spinning from the bewilderment of the whole day. It just seemed utterly unreal if you get me. It was as though I was in some weird dream. I felt like my conversations with Tré and Billie Joe earlier were fake and I now yearned to be back in their wonderful company. I then started thinking about Billie Joe and that killer smile.

I had no idea how long I sat there for, but I knew my Mom and Bruce had gone to bed, as the suite was silent. I got up from my bed eventually. I wasn’t tired yet, so I looked through my suitcase, thinking of what to wear tomorrow.
I went and sat on my bed again, thinking. It still hadn’t drummed into my skull; the fact I had met two members of Green Day – and I was seeing them again tomorrow! I must have laid thinking about it for a while, before I dozed off.

The bright sunlight leaked into my eyes. I sat up suddenly and looked at the time on my phone.
Shit – it was one o’clock! I got up off the bed and went into the main suite. No-on was there. Not that it saddened me – I’d rather my family wasn’t there. I decided to get ready since my family could get back at any time, and I didn’t want to be here when they got back. I went into the bathroom and brushed my teeth and washed my remaining make-up off my face. I took a quick shower and washed my hair. I then went back into my room and tried to decide on what to wear. I chose a black pair of jeans and a black Fall Out Boy t-shirt, and pulled my Green Day hoodie on. I slipped on my converses and applied some eyeliner around my eyes. I looked into the mirror as I scooped up my hair and tied it into a ponytail. Grabbing my bag as I slid my guitar under the bed, I headed out of the suite.

I ran down the hotel stairs, as I couldn’t be bothered to wait for the lift. I reached the lobby and stepped out of the hotel, feeling the cool, New York air. I took out my purse as I walked down the street. I had eighty dollars from the money that I’d saved up for the trip. Ironic how I need to save my money up, yet Danny was given two-hundred dollars, isn’t it? I placed the purse back into my bag and continued down the New York streets. I wandered through Times Square and saw the TRL studios. I smiled to myself, remembering an appearance Green Day made there. I’d watched it at home; I preferred American TRL to the English version. They had better guests on. I got lost in though as I headed to the MTV shop. I stopped in front of the building, and headed inside.

My eyes grew large as I looked around at the tons of awesome merchandise in the store. T-shirts, bags, CDs, badges, key rings, shoes – you name it! I ran over to the t-shirts, casting my eyes over all the different bands. One in particular caught my attention. It was a short-sleeved, khaki Green Day shirt. A girl’s shadow holding red balloons was printed in the center. Underneath, GREEN DAY was printed in white transfer. I fell immediately in love with it. I checked the price. Twelve dollars. I would be buying that, for sure.

I walked around the store for ages, admiring the bunch of merchandise. If I had the money, I’d own the whole fucking store! Along with my shirt, I decided to by a HIM heartagram necklace and a My Chemical Romance belt. I reached the end of the store, and my eyes fell onto a bunch of guitars. I specifically admired a hot pink-rimmed guitar; a black star placed on the side of it. It looked exactly like the one Billie Joe had used at the Milton Keynes concert at one point. A replica, maybe? I checked the price tag. Five-hundred dollars. Damn. I sighed, walking away from it. At least I still had my guitar at the hotel.

I paid for the items and left the store. I still had about fifty dollars left. I headed towards a fast food restaurant and ordered a small meal. While eating, I wondered about that evening. What were we going to do? I laughed at the thought of me getting piss-ass drunk with Green Day. My thoughts ended up wandering to Billie Joe. I always wondered if rock stars looked as gorgeous in real life. Billie Joe and Tré had both definitely proved me right. They were even more gorgeous face-to-face. I finished my meal and decided to head back to the hotel, as my phone read 4:30pm. After a while, I was back at the hotel. I got the lift this time and got out on the twelfth floor. I hoped my family wouldn’t be back yet, which they weren’t. I walked into my room. I knew that no-one had definitely been back yet, as nothing had been touched in the whole suite. I placed my bags down on the bed and pulled my suitcase out from under the bed.

I picked out a pair of baggy jeans and a black tank top which had a skull on it. I had another shower, straightened my hair and applied the rest of my make-up (this time more neatly). By now, it was almost seven. I started to get nervous, for a number of reasons. One being obvious, but also, my parents and Danny weren’t back yet. What if they had gotten in trouble or something?

I paced around my room, ringing my hands, for they were growing sweaty. I was twenty past seven; the time had passed so quickly! I had been waiting for half seven since this morning, and now it was here; I was half wishing it wasn’t. And, where the hell were my parents and Danny?! I decided not to worry about them; they wouldn’t be worried about me. I mean, how often was it an opportunity this great knocked on your door? For instance, I was in one of the most famous cities in the world and I was in the same hotel as the best rock band on the planet! Really, why was I sitting here, worrying about my lame-ass family?

While all these thoughts had been taking over my mind, I had only just realized it had reached seven twenty-nine pm. The thoughts in my head completely disappeared as I grabbed my guitar and headed out of the suite. I punched the button for the lift and got in it. I got out as it reached the right floor and went to Green Day’s door. I paused just as I was about to rap my knuckle on the door. I stopped and whispered a “good luck” to myself, letting a smile slip and continued with knocking on the door.