Remember, I

your memory still haunts me.

Have you ever felt the rain? It is cold and harsh, slicing into your skin as it drums down. It is warm and soft, a mist caressing and wrapping you in a somnolent blanket. It comes with mud and with grime, and runs red rivers among the fallen.


Have you ever felt the sun after the rain? It whispers promises in the presence of death, a hope for the dying, a glory for the standing. It brings warmth to where it is cold and light to where it is dark, it dries the blood and rots the bodies.


I held the world in the palm of my hand. I was the serpent in the maiden’s bed, the blade of the jealous brother, the poisoned needle in the silk. I was the dragon, the beast, the untamed. I was the rock, the strength, impossible to defeat. Men threw themselves onto my blade, laid a path of corpses on the ground.
I was God.


Then you came to me, your arms wide open and your face full of joy. You held no blade and yet reached deep into me.


I remember,

Your hair is the colour of the sunset, your eyes green like the budding leaves in spring. You are the colour of life.


I dropped the world, bit my own tail, became the blade that broke and the needle that was lost. My fire was quenched, I was slain, broken-in. I was chipped and moulded, and for the first time I tasted helplessness. I threw myself into your hands, worshiped the very ground upon which you stood.

I believed and thought and loved,

Like I was human.

Yet the sweet words you fed me were of deceit, and as you waltzed away from my hand when I offered it, disappearing into the shadows, I heard nothing but the heavy silence of the loneliness you left me in. Yet the rain was singing, and the sun was winking, and I never felt so much more alive.
I was nothing but another, an interest not of love but of amusement. You tore me down like I was some apple in a tree, just waiting for your lips. I was a god, but you made me human.

I remember,

Your hair is the colour of fire; your eyes green like jimsonweed.

You are the colour I despise.


You ran away but I found your precious castle, - believe me, dearest, it was easy.

My sword drips blood, pearl black in moonlight for in this night’s sky, for every twinkling star above your pretty head, I have released a soul bound by your charms; and when the clouds roll over to defend them, I pierce their silver armour and they rain down their warmth upon me.


Beneath my lover’s window, I have no flute or harp.
I sing to you with rock and blade for harmony, and watch your gracious silhouette.
Sleep, my dearest love, for when the sun emerges from its slumber, I too will come for you.


Remember,

I was,

and am,

forever God.