Haven

x

[bold]Peyton[/bold]


Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring-ting-tingling, too
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you


"It isn't even Thanksgiving yet, Kristie. Do we really have to play Christmas music this early?" Peyton complained, leaning over the counter to look at her store manager. Kristie only rolled her eyes before placing a few Christmas decorations and promoters near the first and second register, looking back at Peyton.

"It's never too early for Christmas music. Besides, our customers love it."

"That's because 80% of our customers are elderly people that have been getting their prescriptions here when it was just a pharmacy."

Kristie shook her head, seemingly agreeing with Peyton. She did have a point, anyway. Most of the other pharmacies around the city weren't as personable as Whitakers was. And Kristie was convinced that the place was still up and running from the vast majority of the clientele that had been here since the late 70s. Regardless, Christmas was the busiest time for them and she wanted to get a start on things early.

Peyton had just finished marking down the Halloween and fall items, most of which would sell over the course of two days, when her night cashier decided to clock in. He was here half an hour after he was supposed to be, but Peyton didn't mind the extra time considering she'd be going home to an empty apartment, anyway.

She smirked as she handed Chris the price gun, taking her name tag off. "Just finished marking everything down, so all you need to do is move it to a clearance table and start setting up for Christmas."

Chris's eyebrows shot up as he logged on to the register, turning to face Peyton. "Wait, we're already setting up for Christmas? And who's the manager tonight?"

"Not me," was the only answer she was willing to give him, pointing towards Kristie that was trying to take down all of the old signage to start hanging winter signs. Chris let out a groan, and Peyton knew it was because with Kristie in charge of him, he'd actually have to do more than work the register. Peyton usually handled everything for him when she was the manager on duty.

Peyton made sure to let Kristie know she was leaving and wished Chris luck before slipping her jacket on, making her way outside and into the parking lot. She checked her phone just in case, and sighed when she realized Jared had called her earlier in her shift.

She knew if she called back now, he'd probably be asleep, and she didn't want to risk waking him because it wasn't very often he got a lot of sleep while filming. Carrie had texted her, letting her know she was getting off earlier than usual because someone was going to cover the other half of her shift.

The ride home was an uneventful one, and she started debating on different ideas for dinner since she wouldn't be the only one home. Maybe they had enough things for a gumbo; it'd had been a while since either of them had it.

As soon as Peyton got her key in the lock and pushed the door open, she felt the air leave her and her knees went weak. The apartment was completely wrecked, and the furniture was turned over. The pictures that were hanging on the wall were shattered and she had to look twice before panic settled in. One of the pictures that she'd long since thrown out of her and Liam was lying on the counter and she froze.

No.

She started shaking and her vision blurred before she sank to the floor, burying her face in her hands. She had been so careful. She had done everything humanly possible to get away, and he had found her? He knew where she lived. He probably knew where she worked. She wasn't safe anymore. She had to get away. She had to get up, at least. He could still be here. He might be in the apartment.

Adrenaline rushed through her at the thought and she scrambled to her feet, nearly running out of the apartment and into Carrie, who had grocery bags in her hands. Her eyes widened as she took in Peyton's state, pulling the girl into her arms. "Hey, hey, hey... What's going on, Pey? What's wrong?"

Peyton shook her head, tears streaming from her eyes as she struggled to catch a breath. "H-He... Liam, he..."

Peyton couldn't get the words out, and she was shaking harder now, soaking the front of Carrie's scrubs. Carrie smoothed her hair down and took a glance at the inside of her apartment before holding her closer, assuring her that everything would be okay.

Everything would be fine.

But Peyton knew that wasn't the case. Everything wouldn't be okay and everything wasn't fine. She was finally learning how to live without him and the nightmares had just started going away, but now she had this to deal with. He always managed to wreck her life in some way. When Peyton's phone started to ring with an unknown number, Carrie glared at the screen and went to decline the call but Peyton answered it, wiping the tears away from her face angrily.

"What the fuck do you want, Liam?! Why can't you just leave me alone?"

Carrie was doing her best not to give anything away, but Peyton could see the fear in her best friend's eyes. "Baby, don't you get it? You're never getting away from me. You made a mistake in leaving, sweetheart. You know Daddy only wants what's best for you."

"Don't – don't fucking... you are not that. You never will be," Peyton hissed, the sound of her pulse in her ears.

"And Jared could be, baby? Poor man doesn't even know you're a little, does he? He doesn't know how to take care of you. He doesn't know that you need it, that you need discipline. You miss it, don't you? You miss me? And how could he ever give that to you, Peyton?"

"Shut up," Peyton yelled, slamming the phone to the floor. "Shut up. Shut up."

Carrie ended the call before picking Peyton up and rushing her to the elevator, trying to hold her up as best as possible. She waited until Peyton was in the backseat of her car to take Peyton's phone and dialing Jared's number, unsure of what to do or where to go next. She just knew they both needed to be as far away from the apartment as possible and Peyton wouldn't be able to work for the next week at the very least.

"Peyton?" Jared answered groggily, turning in bed.

"It's me," Carrie told him, her voice quivering slightly. "We have a problem, Jared. It's Liam. Her ex. He's... back."
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a little harder to write, and I hope you guys aren't mad at me for it.

Thoughts?