Haven

iii

Jared


"Are you sure you're ready to go back?"

It was a question that Jared had been debating for a while, too, but that didn't mean hearing someone else ask it would make his answer any easier. He felt ready, but he knew that dealt more with him being ready to get out of his damn house. He had ended up staying a few more days than he had intended to at Jensen and Danneel's place, but now that he was home, he was more than a little stir-crazy.

Sure, he'd gotten take out a few times and he'd been to counseling more than he cared to admit over the past two weeks, but that didn't necessarily count. He had called in the food and it was delivered, and Janet made trips out to his house a few times. She had reminded him (several times) to take this time 'for himself', but Jared was at his wit's end. He needed to go out, even if it was business related.

"It's just to check up on the bar, man. I've told you a thousand times that I'm okay," Jared all but snapped at his best friend.

The older man let out a sigh as he set his glass down on the counter, holding his hands up. "Just checking."

Jared felt a small smile tug at his lips as his phone lit up, sneaking a glance at Jensen. Jensen smirked as Jared tapped away at a reply, clearing his throat. "Okay, so what's the story with this chick, Jay?"

Jared shrugged, a sheepish smile on his face as he grabbed his jacket from the couch, pulling it on. "Dunno what you're talking about."

The older man snorted, tossing a pair of keys in Jared's direction as he shut the door behind them. "I haven't seen you this... happy in a while. I'm not stupid."

Jared only smirked at him as a response, choosing to say nothing. He didn't want to jinx anything with this girl, so he figured the less he said, the better. After a few days of sending scattered messages back and forth over Twitter, he decided to risk asking for her number. Since then, they were talking everyday about everything and nothing.

He left out that she was a fan to his therapist and to Jensen, but he didn't see how it affected whatever it was that they were. She didn't treat him any differently so as far as he was concerned, there wasn't an issue.

For a second, Jared debating asking Peyton to meet him at the bar. He didn't know why, but he was nervous at the thought of seeing her. Technically, they had met before, but this would be different. This was Jared without barriers and without a filter. He didn't have to necessarily keep up appearances and he was able to really be himself.

What if she only liked the Jared that she had met during conventions?

He shook the thoughts off as he replied, adjusting his position in the passenger seat of his truck.

As soon as Jensen parked, Jared was out of the truck and heading straight for the back entrance of the bar. Any nerves he had before completely disappeared as he went inside, the dim lights and country music putting him at ease. As soon as his bartender saw him, he slid him a beer that Jared accepted graciously, taking a swig.

God, had he missed this.

Jensen was soon to follow, sitting on a stool beside Jared. "Think you'll get back out there?"

Jared rolled his eyes as Jensen motioned toward the girls that lined the floor, most of them oblivious to the men's presence. Jared let out a snort, turning to face his friend. "Told you, dude, not interested."

Jensen shrugged in response, ordering a round of drinks before venturing off to find one of their other friends. Jensen had made it a point to invite whoever happened to be in town the minute Jared had agreed to go out with him since the two were set to leave for filming soon.

Shit. Speaking of, Jared was supposed to make plans with Peyton before they left, courtesy of Janet's advice. Since the two had started talking, his thoughts wandered less to Kate and he found it easy to talk the girl, which was something he couldn't say was too easy when it came to Kate.

Jared cursed as soon as he stood, nearly knocking a shorter girl over that had come to the bar. He let out a laugh as she started muttering a slew of apologies before he brushed it off, helping steady her.

"What the hell are you apologizing for? I ran into you."

She laughed, shaking her head at him. When she looked up, though, the grin he was wearing only stretched and her face managed to turn an even brighter red, if it were possible. For a second, his heart was in his throat and he was sure he looked like an idiot for staring.

Peyton was prettier in person, as cliche as it sounded, and he was painfully reminded of how long it had been since he had interacted with a woman that he was even remotely invested in. He was nervous. Granted, he didn't plan on seeing her tonight, either.

Shouldn't he say something?

"Well, it's not the way I planned on running into you, but I guess you could say I'm falling for you."

Jared groaned inwardly as realization set in; did he really fucking say that? Peyton laughed and some of his anxiety settled before he apologized and ran a hand through his hair. She held her hand out for him to take, smiling up at him. He couldn't help but grin as she did, taking her hand in his.

"I guess we've officially met, then? Peyton."

"Jared."

And again, Jared wasn't one to believe in fate, but it seemed like a something wanted to entertain the idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I just want to thank scary spooky aliens for commenting! <3

Hope you guys enjoyed this?