Haven

viii

After things had settled down and they'd both gotten showers, Jared had decided that putting on a movie would help distract them. Even though it was one of her favorite's, namely Beauty and the Beast, she was paying more attention to the way Jared's facial expressions changed quickly and the way his mouth would curve up slightly at a cuter point in the movie. She let out a sigh, eventually deciding to look up at him from her spot on his lap, his hands halting their movements on her hair.

"Something wrong, sweetheart?" His gaze was now focused on her and he sat up slightly, adjusting her head as he did so.

She blushed slightly, chewing on her bottom lip before releasing it. "I was just thinking. Do you think that we're moving too fast?"

"People cuddle," He reassured her after a second, a smile on the edge of his lips. "I don't think that we are, Peyton. I don't want to rush into anything because I know we've both been through some pretty rough patches. I know that I like you, and that I like being around you. Cuddling you. Kissing you."

She let out a giggle as he leaned down, pressing his lips to her cheek before moving to her lips, lingering there for a second. They'd only kissed a few times tonight, but each time, her head spun and butterflies erupted in the pit of her stomach. She honestly couldn't remember the last time she had felt that way.
"I guess those are good reasons. I'm just worried about getting too attached to you."

"As far as I can tell, I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. Guess you're stuck with me, huh?"

She let out a laugh, shifting so that she was facing the television again. His hands threaded through her hair again, and she could feel her eyes starting to get heavier the more he did it. "I can imagine worse places to be."

"Give it time. I'm sure you'll be sick of me soon enough."

She only smiled up at him again, giving a shake of her head. "Don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, sir."

Jared let out a groan, his eyes flitting from the movie and then back to her. "Sir? You know I'm not that much older than you."

"Uh huh," she argued, her smile only growing when she realized how he was taking it. "Old man."

Seven years wasn't really that much of an age difference, or at least, it wasn't to her because her grandparents were nearly twenty years apart. Plenty of couples she knew had a significant age difference, so it didn't bother her all that much. Things never really worked out when she dated guys around her age or younger, so it was a good thing he was that much older.

"Little girl," Jared shot back, a smirk on his lips.

Peyton's cheeks flushed at that and she tried to will the blush away with little success. Jared could tell how much it affected her and she wished she had a better grasp on her facial expressions. For a second, she debated telling him then and there, but as soon as he let it go, she decided she would, too. She had time to tell him everything. And she would, eventually.

Image

Peyton had been dreading this day for the past two weeks, if she were being honest. She hadn't expected everything to happen as fast as it did, and the same was true for today. She'd specifically asked for the day off so she could spend the morning with him before he had to catch his flight, but he'd been in business meetings and he was straightening things out to be ready to come back home in a month.

Even though they hadn't made things official yet, he was always at her apartment when she wasn't working or she was at his house when he got off. She was used to always having him around and she knew she wouldn't tell him yet, but he'd become her safe haven. Any doubts, any ill-feelings – he managed to make disappear when he was around. And the same was true for him as far as she could tell. He'd been happier lately, so much so that everyone around him at work could tell.

"Why are you still here, babe? Figured you'd be off with your boyfriend."

Peyton looked up and gave Carrie a small smile, glancing toward her phone. "He's not my boyfriend yet, Carrie. He's actually leaving today to go back to filming."

"How long for?" She asked, sitting next to her on the couch, tying her hair into a bun. "Can't be that long, right? The holidays are coming up."

Peyton let out a sigh at the thought, already stressing about having to find gifts and the inevitable change in her already insane schedule at work. Retail during any other season was manageable, but during the holidays, she felt like ripping her hair out. "He's going to be up there for a little over a month, but he's going to be back the day before Thanksgiving for a week, I think. And then he'll be away for another few weeks and come back for Christmas."

Carrie nodded at that, taking a sip of Peyton's coffee before shooting her best friend a sheepish smile. "You going to be okay?"

"Should be. I'm a big girl, I can handle it."

She let out a scoff at that, rolling her eyes. "I give it two weeks at most before you're crawling into bed with me."

Peyton debated arguing with her, but she knew it would probably end up being closer to a week than two before she broke and missed the company. "Okay, yeah, you're right."

As soon as there was a knock at the door, Carrie gave Peyton a smirk before getting up to answer it before she could even get off the couch. Peyton narrowed her eyes at her friend before following suit, shoving her slightly before pulling the door open. Jared shook his head at the pair, already used to their antics by now.

"Hey, baby," Jared murmured, leaning down to give Peyton a kiss, pulling her into him as soon as he pulled away. Peyton's heart jumped at how affectionate he was; even after having enough time to get used to it, she didn't think she ever would. She grinned up at him, wrapping her arms around his waist as Carrie surveyed the two.

"Baby, huh? Sounds pretty official to me," Carrie told them accusingly, looking back and forth between the couple.

Peyton let out a groan, rolling her eyes. "Carrie, if you--."

"I mean, she is my girlfriend, Carrie, so I'd hope it sounded official."

Both girl's eyes widened at his omission, but Carrie was good at hiding her surprise with a cough, running a hand through her hair. "Yeah, no, of course. I was about to get ready for work so I'm gonna do that. See you when I see you?"

"Bye, Carrie," Jared said with a laugh, his gaze immediately going to Peyton. His eyebrows pulled together worriedly as he looked at her, chewing on his lip. "You're okay with that, aren't you? I know I didn't make it clear or ask you officially, but that's what I've been telling people."

Peyton could only let out a laugh at how quickly his demeanor changed, standing on her tip toes to press a kiss to his lips. "I'm more than okay with that. Just taken a little off guard, is all."

"Good."

They settled into a comfortable silence as they walked downstairs, Jared opening the door for her when they got outside and into the car. Cliff was in the front, not that Peyton was all that surprised, and Jared's suitcases were situated on the seat next to them. A lump started to form in her throat as they started off for the airport, reality starting to set in. Jared must have sensed this because he squeezed her hand and let her head rest on his chest for the entirety of the car ride.

As crazy as it sounded, listening to his heartbeat helped ease the feeling in her chest. It helped that he was wearing her favorite cologne, but it just made her realize she'd miss the familiar scent. As soon as the private plane came into view, her heart sank a little more.

"I'll start loading things up for you. Got about half an hour until we take off," Cliff told Jared, making eye contact through the rearview mirror. "Nice seeing you again, Peyton."

"You, too."

"Cliff also arranged for a taxi for you. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. Think he kind of likes you, so I have to keep you around," Jared teased as soon as he was starting to load his bags up, letting out a sigh as he unbuckled.

"Jerk," Peyton managed to get out, her voice wavering slightly.

Damn it, she swore she wouldn't cry. She started rubbing at her eyes with her fingers, willing Jared not to notice. She knew it'd only make it harder for him to leave and she didn't need him to be upset before finally going back to work.

"Hey, look at me, sweetheart. Why're you crying?" His voice softened as he pulled her tighter against him, running his hand through her hair. He let out a sigh of his own before giving her a kiss, wiping at her tears as they fell. He gave her a sad smile, running his thumb across her cheek. "I promise I won't be gone that long, baby. I'll be back before you know it. We'll talk every day."

"I know that. I just... I miss you already," she admitted lamely, letting out a small laugh as she swiped at her eyes again. "And you haven't even left yet."

"I'm not going anywhere, okay? I promise."

"Technically…"

"Oh, shut up, you. If you aren't waiting for me when I land, though, I think I'm gonna cry."

"Aw," She stuck her tongue out at him slightly, sniffing. "Who's the baby now, Jar?"

"I'm pretty sure that's still you, babe."

Cliff motioned for Jared as soon as he was done loading his bags, and Jared let out a sigh before climbing out of the car. He pulled her into another bone crushing hug, swaying her back and forth slightly, promising he'd be back soon. They stumbled through another four or five goodbyes before he was giving her one last lingering kiss, heading for the plane. She told herself that she'd watch the plane depart, but she couldn't stop the rush of emotions as it took off down the runway.

Watching the plane take off was hard, but getting in the taxi alone was even harder than the goodbye.

I'll see you soon, baby. Just a few weeks. I'll call you when I land, but let me know you made it home safe?

Another text was soon sent after that, but as soon as she saw it, she knew he didn't mean to send it. For some reason, it was only harder to imagine him gone for so long when she looked over it.

I'm falling in love with you.
♠ ♠ ♠
Y'all, I see Jared again tomorrow.
Figured I'd give you guys an update before then lol
Thoughts on this?