Status: Please comment and let me know your thoughts! Constructive criticism is encouraged!

Mr. Jonas, I Have a Confession

Chapter I

Six years ago, I was in the sixth grade. I had braces covering my teeth, and my body had finally begun to go through its unforgiving cycle known as puberty. Pimples started to pop up, forcing me to use make-up to help conceal the unwanted blemishes. My eyesight had declined, causing me to get glasses. On top of it all, I still managed to keep my high grades. I was the typical definition of a sixth grade nerd.

Today, I no longer have braces, even though my teeth are not perfect. My body grew into its new dimensions. I learned how to control my acne, and I only use make-up on rare occasions, except for eyeliner. My mom let me get contacts before ninth grade, allowing me to leave my glasses at home. Some habits are hard to break, though, as I am still at the top of my class, with a GPA above 4.0, as well as play defensive back for the school’s girls soccer team. I went from a typical nerd to what my classmates refer to as, “The Nerdy Athlete,” thanks to my best friend Noelle, who accidently gave the snobby girls the idea.

This school year would be different, though. I would leave a name for myself. I could already feel it.

~~Summer Before Twelfth Grade~~

Junior year just ended when Peyton announced his best friend Nick Jonas would be moving into his old bedroom. The thought of it made my head spin. This was a boy who had known me since I was in diapers, and the boy who I had always had a crush on. Nicholas Jerry Jonas, the boy who made every Summerville High School girl fall for him, and made every junior high girl squeal.

I haven’t seen Nick since he left for college, which means he hasn’t seen me since my puberty days. My parents were excited; they were getting rid of one son and their other “son” was moving in. Nick has always been part of this family, no matter if he was here or not. Me, on the other hand, I was excited to find out who my new soccer coach would be.

My best friend Noelle and I were on our way to the girls soccer meeting, hosted by the athletic director, to meet our new coach who would hopefully help the team gain another championship. Our past coach had just retired, celebrating her 50th birthday during our last season.

“What if our new coach is a guy?” Noelle smirked. “I don’t mean just any guy either, Ken. Like, a hot, six-pack ab guy who takes his shirt off and runs laps with us.”

The thought made me almost vomit, as my gag reflexes took over.

“Oh, grow up!” Noelle snapped.

“Noel, don’t you think that’s a little inappropriate to think about? I mean, even if our coach is a guy, you shouldn’t think that about him.”

“Oh, please! What if it’s Nick?” she questioned, smirking as if she had just won.

“Then it’s Nick, I don’t care,” I stated, feeling a slight blush crawl up my neck.

“Don’t play that shit with me, Kenna Leighton. I know you still have a crush on him. Just wait until he sees you for the first time. He won’t even know it’s you. Then it’ll be him with the crush on you.”

“You’re kidding me, right?” I wailed. “Nick and I will never be together! Our worlds are completely different, you know that. Not to mention the age gap.”

“That doesn’t mean you and him won’t mesh,” she blabbed, interlocking her fingers. I looked at her and laughed as I geared my SUV into park. “Just remember, age is but a number!”

“Nick or no Nick, this season will still be mine,” I boasted proudly.

“Number one defensive back in the league, ow ow!” Noelle howled as we walked into the gymnasium.

“Great. Leighton and Snyder are here,” the athletic director Jordan Chase grumbled as we took our seats. “Ladies, you’ve all been called here to meet your new coach. Now, he played soccer at Summerville six years ago, so he knows his stuff. I expect you all to treat him with the same respect as you had for your last coach. As you know, assistant coaches Meghan Klinger, Jennifer Santana, and Scott Parker will be returning. Now, ladies, please welcome your head coach, Nicholas Jonas.”

My mouth flew open into an ‘O’ when Chase announced Nick. Noelle looked at me as she clapped along with the crowd.

“I was not expecting this,” she stated as Nick rounded the corner, waving to the girls who had all seemed to be gossiping.

As the claps began to fade, Nick spoke. “Well, it’s an honor for me to be coaching you ladies this season, but please, call me Nick.” He flashed a toothy grin, and I swear half the team fainted. “I heard I have some pretty big shoes to fill. I’m sure this season will be different, especially for you seniors. Change in your final year is hard, I understand that. Now, I have some papers here I would like you all to complete today. When Mr. Chase calls your name, please come forward.”

Chase began to rattle off the freshman, so Noelle turned to me. “Too bad we didn’t make a deal,” she smirked.

“Screw you,” I growled, “and fuck me!” I flopped my head onto the table

“Honey, don’t say that,” she sighed, patting my leg. “Nick will have that job done in no time flat.”

“Fuck off, Snyder!” I spat.

“Leighton!” Chase yelled.

I groaned as I stood to receive my paper work, making my way to Chase. He handed me a set of papers, but didn’t let go when I grasped them. Instead, he pulled me over toward Nick.

“Mr. Jonas, meet your star defensive back, Miss Kenna Leighton.”

I looked up to meet Nick’s gaze, and I felt myself taking in a breath. He was even more beautiful than I remembered. His chiseled features made him look manlier than he once was. He smiled softly at me, a smirk playing at the edges.

“Kenna,” Nick spoke, sticking out a hand for me to shake. “You sure have changed since I saw you last.”
I took his hand, shaking it firmly. “Well, six years does change a person, Nicholas,” I stated, using his full name as I always did.

“It’s nice to know your attitude is still the same,” he added.

“It’s nice to know you still think you run this town,” I provoked.

Nick laughed as Chase stared me down. “Can it, Leighton. Mr. Jonas is authorized to sit your ass on the bench all season.”

“Oh, please,” I whispered, crossing my arms over my chest and turning away from the two men.

Nick looked me up and down, surprised by my confident attitude. “That won’t be necessary, Mr. Chase,” he informed, licking his lips as he stared at me. “This is how we always acted. Her brother is my best friend. We go way back,” he winked.

Kill me now, I thought, forcing a smile at Nick and returning to my seat.

Chase had finished calling names, so it was then Nick’s turn to speak. “As you girls finish your paper work, bring them to me. Also, make sure to check out the schedule that is in your packet for open field and weight lifting. During the off-season, I will be taking notes to determine captains at the end of hell week.”

“You don’t even need to show up,” Noelle whispered. “Everyone knows you deserve captain.”

I smirked and kept my eyes on Nick as he spoke. He kept taking glances at me, a smirk always playing at his lips.

“Well, that’s about it!” Nick announced. “Please make sure to put my number in your phones before leaving the gymnasium, and I will do the same with your’s. Every morning, I will send reminders for open fields and weight lifting. I hope to see you all Monday!”

I noticed girls whipping out their phones to enter Nick’s number, then giving him their paper work, making sure he put their number in right away. I watched as Samantha Wertz, a fellow senior and the team’s striker, swayed her hips as she walked and sat beside Nick on the table. I was never threatened by her small form. All she did was distract the other teams’ goalie to score. Everyone else did the work to get her the ball.

My hand clinched the pen tighter and tighter as she twirled her hair and leaned closer to Nick, pretending to care deeply about the conversation between them. “Cool it, Ken. You’ll break your pen,” Noelle informed.

I gritted my teeth. “You should have seen him with me. He was completely checking me out, Noel.” I turned myself her way to complete the paper work.

“That’s because you’re not 12 anymore, Kenna,” she pointed out. “Nick can finally have you now that you’re 18, and he can do whatever he wants with your body,” she pointed out, motioning with her hands moving down her curves. She made me laugh hard enough that I snorted.

“That’s disgusting, Leighton,” Samantha blurted, snapping her gum loudly.

“I think it’s cute,” Nick winked, shocking Samantha, who promptly stood and made her way out the door. He’s going to get himself fired.

I finished filling out my packet while Noelle distracted Nick, who was distracting me.

“Finished,” I announced as I handed him the paperwork.

“Fantastic,” Nick smiled. “I’ll see you at home, Kenna. You and Noelle can help me unpack.”

“Only if you pay me,” Noelle joked.

“Let’s go, Noel,” I hissed. “See you at home, Nicholas.”

“Bye, Kenna.”

“He wants you so bad,” Noelle yapped as we made our way to the car.

“Shut the hell up,” I stated, putting on my sunglasses.