Status: Please comment and let me know your thoughts! Constructive criticism is encouraged!

Mr. Jonas, I Have a Confession

Chapter VII

We had just beaten Duncan Academy and were on our way home. By the time the game ended, it was already ten at night. There was no way I would be sleeping tonight.

“Mom, I don’t want any hot chocolate,” Noelle moaned in her sleep, snuggling closer to her stuffed hedgehog. I laughed, looking around. All the other girls had fallen asleep while I ate the sub my mom had brought me.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. Expecting it to be my mom, I ignored it. She was always checking in on me after the game to make sure I ate. My phone vibrated again after a minute. Then again a minute after that one.

“What the hell?” I whispered. I finally pulled my phone out of my pocket. Smiling, I read the texts from Nick.

Good game tonight. Thanks for helping me keep my cool.
I think everyone is asleep. Is Noelle keeping you awake?
Come sit with me. The other coaches drove home. Up for the challenge?

I smirked, grabbing my stuffed penguin. Clutching him to my chest, I took a deep breath and made my way up the aisle, climbing over outstretched legs.

The girls never sat right behind Nick. It was a courtesy. “Hey,” I whispered, flopping down in the seat next to Nick. He was crouched between the two large leather seats.

Nick pulled his ear plugs out. I heard Tim McGraw’s It’s a Business Doing Pleasure with You escape the small speakers. “Hey,” he smiled. “You were amazing tonight.”

“Thanks,” I blushed, pulling Waddles closure to me.

“You’re so adorable,” Nick whispered.

I looked at him. His eyes were soft, mesmerizing. I looked away, quickly saying, “Nick, I really don’t think we shou-“

“Shhh,” he silenced me, placing a finger to my lips. “Just don’t. Not now, okay?”

He removed his finger and moved his hand to my cheek. I closed my eyes, leaning into it. Using his other arm, he pulled me closer. “I know you want this just as bad as I do.”

I breathed in his minty breath, watching his lips hungrily as he spoke. I bit my own lip, feeling the anticipation building within me.

“You’re killing me, Kenna,” Nick chuckled. “Every time you do that, it drives me more and more insane.”

“We can’t do this, though,” I spoke, killing the mood. I pushed off Nick’s leg, turning my body to go back to the snoring Noelle. However, Nick had different plans.

He spun me back around, pulling me close to him once more. He didn’t hesitate to attack my lips. I moaned into the kiss, missing the feeling of his lips moving against my own.

“I missed kissing you,” he admitted. I smiled, my reply another kiss.

~~

“What happened to you last night?” Noelle asked as we lay on a blanket in the back yard. “I woke up at one point and you weren’t there.”

“Be happy I woke you up when we got back to the school, snorey!” I laughed.

“Shut up and talk!” she demanded, then gasped. “That blush crawling up your face tells me it was Nick!”

“What about me?” Nick said, emerging out of the house.

My eyes grew big. “Um, uh.”

“For crying out loud, Kenna!” Noelle complained. “Did you two do something naughty last night or not?”

“Noelle!” Nick and I exclaimed. Noelle giggled, almost menacingly. Nick rolled his eyes, taking a seat next to me.

“It was a kiss, Noel, a one-time thing,” I blurted. “Right, Nick?”

Noelle’s eyes darted to Nick, who said, “Oh, um, yeah. One-time thing.”

“Uh-huh.” Noelle clicked her tongue. “Why is that?”

“Because it’s crazy!” I whined. “Right, Nick?”

“Um, yeah. Yeah, Noelle.”

“Funny how I’m not buying it,” Noelle stated, calling my bluff, but I was not about to give in.

“Noelle, I don’t know what kind of world you live in, but Nick and I are never going to be together.” I stood from my place, brushing myself off as I repeated, “Right, Nick?”

He picked at the grass, not looking up at me. “Right, Ken.”

“Now that that is settled, I will see you two later. I have a shopping date with my mom.” I turned toward the house and never looked back.

~~

Nick’s Point of View

“Is it true?” Noelle asked. I looked down at her as she lay still, staring at Kenna’s form slide through the door.

“What do you think?” I asked, curious at her perspective on things.

“I think,” she began, sitting up, “the two of you are confused.”

“If that so, Snyder?”

“It is so,” she smiled. A moment passed by before Noelle continued. “Tell me something, Jonas.” I looked at her. “What was it like to see her for the first time after six years?”

I chuckled, remembering back to when I saw Kenna in the school cafeteria during the soccer meeting. “I thought she was so grown up. I couldn’t believe I missed out on it all. Out on her…” I whispered.

“And kissing her for the very first time?”

“Amazing,” I blushed. “Like my lips were made to kiss hers.”

“How did you feel kissing her last night?”

I stared at her, wondering if I should tell her the truth, or hide it. “Truth?” She nodded. “Hungry, but not in the lustful kind of way. Well, that way too,” I blushed, and Noelle giggled. “I know I want to be with her, Noelle, but I’m not sure she knows that, or if she wants to be with me.”

“Oh, Jonas,” Noelle stretched. “She does want you, but she’s afraid. She’s been like this forever. You just never had a reason to see it.”

“Then how can I find out?”

“You still have much to learn about our favorite girl, Nicholas,” Noelle pestered.

I was confused, but realized she was right; I didn’t know much about Kenna. The Kenna I knew had braces, loved being “one of the guys,” and cried when her mom made her wear a dress.

“Kenna’s favorite things are reading and writing,” Noelle confirmed. “She reads about the dramatic romances she wish were her own experiences, and writes about her feelings and fantasies. See where I’m going with this?”

I smirked. “You want me to assign a writing assignment.” Noelle nodded. “But, how will I know she will admit her true feelings, especially if she knows I’ll be reading it?”

Noelle smiled. “Do you trust me?” She reached out her hand, and I shook it, smiling.