Status: Please comment and let me know your thoughts! Constructive criticism is encouraged!

Mr. Jonas, I Have a Confession

Chapter IX

Nick didn’t talk to me once during practice. In fact, he took me out of the scrimmage multiple times. I have never been substituted for unless I was injured. It pissed me off, and he knew it.

“Why does he keep replacing you?” a freshman named Kylie asked.

“I don’t know. I must have pissed him off somehow,” I replied, and she laughed.

“Maybe he just has a thing for you and this is his way of showing you,” she whispered. I faked a laugh.

“Go in for Samantha, Leighton!” Nick commanded.

“Sweet!” I cheered, finally getting to play offense.

Samantha flipped her hair over her shoulder as she passed me. I watched as Nick handed her a cup of water. He smiled at her, the way he smiled at me.

Now, I was pissed.

~~

My equipment team and I took the equipment to the cage. I told them to go home so I could organize it once again. No one on this team understood organization. Five minutes into my organization, the door slammed shut. Fantastic.

As far as I knew, everyone on the team had gone home. Noelle had gone shopping with her mom, so she wasn’t waiting for me. There was only one person I could call.

“Hello?” Nick’s voice questioned.

“Can you come get me?” I asked, hitting my hand against my forehead. I sounded so stupid. “The cage door slammed shut.”

“You’re lucky. I was just about to leave. The last player just left.”

“I bet it was Samantha,” I mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing. Just come open the door.” I hung up. Moments later, I heard a key jeering in the key hole.

“Thank goodness! I was starting to feel claustropho-“ Nick cut me off with a kiss. It was hard, like he had been wanting this for some time.

The door slammed shut again and I pushed him away. “Nick, the do-“

“I have a key, remember?” he reassured. “Just shut up for five seconds, please?” He tried to kiss me again, but I wanted to know what was really going on in his head.

“Not until you explain what is going on,” I demanded, crossing my arms over my chest. “Why were you flirting with Wertz?”

“To make you jealous,” he confessed.

“That was easier than I thought,” I laughed.

“Why did you write your story the way you did?” Nick questioned back. “Why would you call yourself my ‘dirty little secret’?”

“How do you know it was about you?” I retaliated.

“Oh, please, Kenna! Even Carter Johnson figured it out!”

I hopped up on the shelf, my face aligned with Nick’s. I looked down, suddenly realizing that this may be the moment I tell him the truth.

“It’s the truth, Nick,” I whispered. “What we have, whatever we have, was supposed to be a one-time thing, but you keep pulling me back. I feel like a dirty little secret because this is illegal!”

Nick moved closer to me, lifting my head up to look at him. “Kenna, on the count of three, we tell each other the truth, okay, about how we really feel?” I nodded.

Sucking in a breath, Nick counted, “1, 2, 3.”

“I want to be with you,” we said in unison. Realizing this, we both smiled. Nick hugged me tight.

“Wait,” I said, pulling away. “What will we do now?”

“I guess be a secret,” Nick shrugged.

“But then, a dirty little secret?” I winked, and Nick chuckled.