Status: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mad Love

tHrEe

During brunch with Rian and Rian’s boyfriend, Zack, Jack couldn’t stop thinking about what the Joker had said to him.

“Jack, what are you thinking about?” Rian asks, cautiously waving his hand in front of Jack’s face.

Jack snaps out of his little trance and looks up at his friends, feeling guilty about the concerned looks on their faces. “Nothing, it’s just, something the Joker said to me. It’s a little haunting.”

Rian rolls his eyes. “Jack, the guy is the definition of criminally insane. He may not even know where he is, y’know? You deal with the worst of the worst, of course they’re gonna say things to shake you up.”

Jack sighs and nods in agreement. “I know, I know. I just need to get my mind off of work.” He says, taking a sip of his mimosa. “I spend too much time in that darn office, I just don’t know how to escape all of this work.”

Zack smiles. “How about a night out tonight? After all, it is a Saturday.”

Jack sucks air in through his teeth. “Jeez, I don’t know, guys.” He says uncertainly. “I mean, you know how I get when I drink. Half a sip of a wine cooler and I’m black-out.”

“But it’s no problem for you to order and alcoholic drink at ten thirty in the morning?” Rian asks, raising his eyebrows at Jack in skepticism.

“Exactly, like come on, Jack!” Zack persists. “I mean, who knows, maybe you’ll meet the one tonight.” He wiggles his eyebrows.

Jack rolls his eyes. “Okay, okay, I’ll go.” He finally caves in. “But-”

“You’re letting Zack and I dress you tonight, okay?” Rian runs the information by Jack, but he knows that Rian and Zack would have dressed him whether he let them or not. Zack only laughs and nudges his boyfriend.

The three left the small diner they were at and were soon pulling into the mall parking lot and Jack raised his eyebrows in surprise. “What are we doing here?” He asks.

“Well, I mean, have you seen your wardrobe?” Rian asks sarcastically. “You have no clothes that you can go out in.”

“What do you mean?” Jack asks, dumfounded. “I have a lot of formal attire that I could wear out, it’s all about finding the right combination and making it work, yeah? Isn’t that what fashion is?”

“Yes,” Zack answers. “But your clothes have to be fashionable to do that. Now get out of the car.”

Jack lets out a weak sigh as he lets his two best friends drag him around the mall. They had gone into a store and forced Jack to try on a pair of jeans that he was convinced were two sizes too small, but he had managed to pull them on. They were so tight that Jack didn’t even need a belt.

“Guys,” Jack whines. “I look ridiculous. I look like I’m eighteen years old.”

“Oh my god, Jack.” Rian groans, pounding on the dressing room door. “Get out here and show us.”

Jack sighs and pulls open the door, showing his friends his new jeans.

“Damn, Jack.” Rian says, grasping his chin in between his index finger and thumb. “Those really don’t look half bad. You could probably even get away with wearing those to work.”

“What?” Jack asks. “ Are you crazy?”

“What? I wear these kind of jeans all the time and you’ve never even noticed.” Rian laughs. “They’re a nice brand.”

Jack sighs. “Yeah, yeah. Let’s just make this quick, okay?”

Seven hours and the boys were finally finished at the mall. Jack’s friends had practically made him buy an entire new wardrobe, the three of them could barely carry all of Jack’s bags together. Jack felt guilty, but Rian didn’t understand why. He was a psychiatrist. Jack makes a lot of money and he lives in a one-bedroom apartment. He has thousands to just throw around.

After Jack showered, Zack had immediately sat Jack down in a chair that he had brought into the bathroom. “I’m doing your hair.” He told Jack. It was nearly an hour and a half before Zack was even close to being done.

“Alright, Jack. I’m almost done.” Zack says, still standing in front of Jack. He’s hairspraying, using hair gel, straightening. Jack doesn’t think he’s ever had this much done to his hair in his entire life, let alone in one night. “Perfect!” Zack exclaims, moving away from the front of Jack so he can see himself.

Jack sighs and stares at his hair in the mirror. “Guys, come on. My hair looks so messy.”

Zack rolls his eyes. “Jack, c’mon. Don’t be so childish, try something new for once. You’ve been wearing your hair the same way since seventh grade. I think it’s about time to try something new.” He insists.

“Okay, okay.” Jack says, raising his hands in mock surrender. “You guys are right. I’ll try it out for tonight and I won’t complain, okay?”

“‘Atta boy.” Rian says from Jack’s bedroom. The entire time that Zack had been doing both his own and Jack’s hair, Rian was laying on Jack’s bed watching Netflix since he only had a couple inches of hair.

Jack stands up and walks into the bedroom. “What do you think?” He asks Rian shyly.

Rian whistles. “You look like a totally different person.”

“Is that a good thing?” Jack huffs, crossing his arms over his chest.
“Yeah, actually.” Zack says from behind him. “Your appearance went from ‘40 Year Old Virgin’ to ‘Young, Sexy Psychiatrist Playboy’”.

Jack rolls his eyes. “The things I do to find Mr. Right.”

After the boys had all gotten ready, they left Jack’s apartment and piled into Rian’s blue G-Wagon and headed for downtown.

“Guys...I don’t know if I can do this.” Jack says quietly, his eyes diverted to the floor.

“Why not?” Rian asks, concern immediately showing in his eyes. The car is silent for a moment before Rian speaks again. “Oh...you miss him, don’t you?”

Jack licks his lips nervously and nods.

“Oh, fuck, man.” Zack groans, turning around to face Jack from the passenger seat. “Listen to me, Jack. This is Brendon we’re talking about. Y’know, the same drug addict that cheated on you, embezzled money from you, and hit you. What is there to miss?”

Jack sighs and furrows his eyebrows. “Okay, okay, you’re right. I wanna do this.”

Jack was never the type to be cocky, but tonight he knew that he looked pretty attractive. The black Nikes that Rian had convinced him into buying were twice as nice as his dress shoes, and twice as comfortable as well. He doubted he’d be able to get away with wearing them at work, but at least now he had a comfortable, casual pair of shoes to wear when he wasn’t working. On the other hand, however, Jack was convinced that he could definitely wear the skinny jeans that he bought to work. They were actually pretty expensive jeans, and they looked nice. As for his shirt, the white v-neck t-shirt that Zack had put him in was actually pretty light and breathable, and if he got cold, he was wearing a black leather jacket over it anyway. He hated to admit that he looked handsome, but he really did. And there was nothing wrong with that.

Jack followed Rian and Zack into the club down on First Street, a club that Jack had never been to. The trio sat down at a booth in the corner, the three of them feeling excited for their boy’s night together. A pretty blonde waitress came up and took their orders. Jack decided to order a few rounds of whiskey shots for the night. After his seventh to eighth shot, he was almost an entirely different person.

Jack and Rian had taken to the dancefloor while the shy Zack watched from the booth. He watched his boyfriend spin their best friend in circles, holding hands and laughing together. Until, a tall dark and handsome man came up and asked Jack for a dance, which a drunken Jack was unable to resist.

Rian returned to Zack at the table and slid into the booth.

“Got your partner taken away, huh?” Zack asks, taking a sip of his beer.

“Yeah,” Rian laughs. “I’m actually pretty stoked that we actually convinced him to come out tonight.”

Zack nods in agreement. “Ever since that shit bag left him, all he does is work. It’s difficult to watch.”

Rian sighs. “I know, babe, but there’s nothing we could have done. Jack is healing on his own time and that’s all that matters. And helping people makes him feel better.”

“I’m worried, Ri.” Zack admits, looking down at his hands. “I’m terrified.”

“What?” Rian asks, looking at his boyfriend in shock. “Why, what’s wrong?”

“I…I don’t like the idea of Jack working with that psycho.”

“What do you mean?”

“Have you ever seen Jack so hung up and distant because of a patient before, Rian?” Zack asks.

“Well, no.” Rian sighs, honestly.

“I’m scared that guy is gonna get inside of Jack’s head and mess him up.” Zack admits.

“Jack is the most mentally strong person that I know. I’m sure he’ll be alright, Zack. Just calm down.” Rian says. He knew that he was lying to Zack. He decided to keep it to himself that Jack specifically told him to stay away from the Joker. He decided to keep it to himself that Jack told him that he had nerves different than any other case he’s worked with before. Rian just wanted to put Zack’s mind at peace. He silently promised to monitor Jack more closely while he was working with the Joker from now on.
♠ ♠ ♠
pls comment/sub/rec if you like it so far