Angel

Lakewood Reform School

It felt… so real. Maybe since my dad was gone my family would be happy again. I opened my eyes and screamed. The dream was real. Oh my God. I shot my dad my own father my flesh and blood. The person who taught me how to play softball the one who said not to date and the one who threatened any of my boyfriends that if he broke my heart he would snap their neck like a twig. I heard my mom yelling into the phone, my brother just stood there, not scared just numb. I sunk to the ground, dropping the gun with trembling hands.
After only minutes I heard more yelling than metal clamped around my wrists. The cops yelled at me to get my ass up and they hauled me to my feet. I finally looked up, I saw my brother screaming for them to get their hands of me and my mom had pure heart breaking terror in her eyes. And my dad, his blood pooling on my plate of toast and eggs.
I got shoved into a cop car, that's when I saw my whole life shattering before my eyes. No more family. No more friends. No more school. I can and will not be able to look back. I can not cry, can't show these people I am weak. I am strong, I can do this. I can't go to jail right? 18 isn't it? I got lost in my thoughts but after a few minutes the cop clamped her hand on my shoulder quite literally threw me out of the car. The cop slammed me down into a metal chair, wincing I looked up. I saw a young woman-bright green eyes, blonde hair and olive skin. The cop, Office Collins, sat across from me.
“Thanks for the shoulder. I appreciate that.” I said. She smiled and winked.
“No problem.” I just rolled my eyes. “Okay kid all we are going to do is send you off to a reform school.”
“Yippee.”
Officer Collins narrowed her eyes.
“Would you rather to go juvenile detention?” she retorted.
“No! No! Reform school sounds fun. “ Looking down, at my knotted up hands.
“Hey could I ask you a question? Girl to girl not cop to suspected murderer.” I asked.
Officer Collins laughed.
“Sure why not. Call me Clark, officer Collins in to formal. Ask away.”
“Do you believe I would shoot my father on purpose?” I asked hesitantly, not really wanting to hear Clark's response. She was quiet for a moment.
“No. No I don't think it was on purpose. None of the officers do actually.” She smiled slightly. I let out the breath I was holding and slumped into my chair. I simply nodded.
“It's Okay. Go ahead cry, no one gives a rats ass in this place.” I looked up, seeing a glimmer of sympathy in her eyes. I hate it, I don't need any damn sympathy. Clark got up and walked around her desk kneeling down next to my chair. I just looked at her, then she hugged me it was such a motherly hug. But I couldn't break, couldn't let my wall fall down. I am strong.
“Will I be able to visit my family again?” I asked into her shoulder.
“I would guess so, they would have to bring some essentials up anyway.” she paused, “but sweetie I can't guarantee that they would want to talk to you. Just prepare for that okay?” I nodded, she straightened up, smoothing down her uniform and smiled. “Would you like some water? Food?” She asked. I shook my head. How could I be even remotely hungry? The door softly closed behind her with a click. I will not cry. I will not cry. I thought, the next time Clark came in is to tell me my mom and Sammi are here. I stood up turning around so she could unlock the handcuffs and stepped outside with a smile on my face. I am strong I thought. When I walked into the front foyer Sammi came running up to me wrapping his chubby arms around my legs. I laughed keeling down to hug him.
“Hey Sam.” I whispered into his dark brown hair. I looked up and saw my mom, her hands were trembling while she gave my bag to Clark but not stepping any close to her murdering daughter.
“Sammi we have to go now.” She said. I hugged him one more time.
“Take care of mom okay? Time to go Sammi. I love you.” I whispered.
“No! Octavia will not leave again!” He yelled. Mom came up and grabbed his arm, walking away. “No! Don't be like those cops mommy! No! Please!” He yelled, thrashing in mom's arms. Tears welled up and threatened to spill over. I felt a hand on my back, turning away from my only family I went back into the office. Clark didn't even bother with the handcuffs, she knew I just needed time. She set the bag down and walked back out giving me space. I just held the bag in my arms for a while, just sitting not trying to cry. Finally I built up the nerve to rummage through the bag. At the very bottom I saw a folded piece of paper, in Sammi’s scratchy handwriting the note said:
I will get you out Octavia. I love you. Keep fighting. - Sammi
I closed my eyes and help onto the note. There was a knock on the door, Clark came in, I opened my eyes.
“Time to go sweetie.” She said. I nodded. I got up slipping the note into my back pocket, swearing I will keep it in my pocket until I see my little brother again. I grabbed my bag and walked out into the parking lot. The car wasn't a cop car but a normal ford explorer, I'm guessing her car. I climbed into the front seat, not saying anything. Until Clark got in that's when I spoke.
“Why are you being so nice to me?” I asked. She glanced over at me smiling.
“I get what you are going through. I shot my big sister when I was twelve.” she said. I nodded.
“I'm… I'm sorry.” That was all I said for the whole trip. Luckily, Lakewood Reform School was only about half an hour away. I was caught up in my thoughts, so it could have been longer. When we pulled up to the school I groaned.
“This place looks like a damn prison you know.” I said.
“Actually this is a very laid back reform school, you have normal dorms and rooms, and you only have one class per day.” Clark smiled over at me. We got out of the car and was greeted by a very perky dean of the school Mr. Vapell- he seemed nice though. He assigned me with a stupid buddy. Apparently he thinks we are at Kindergarten. I do have to admit though he was pretty hot. With bright blue eyes and a mop of golden brown hair.
“Hi I'm Asher Brighton.” He smiled with perfect teeth.
“Hi, Octavia Cromwell” I said. Asher looked at my classes and whistled.
“Damn you have hard core classes. What did you do to land a class with Mr. Meyer?” he looked over at me through long dark lashes. I laughed coldly.
“Oh you know the usual. I just shot my dad straight through the head.” I could hear the exact moment Asher’s jaw hit the floor. “Yeah I know, I'm a psychopath. I get it if you don't want to be around me. In my defense he was an asshole who was tearing my family apart.” I glanced up.
“I get it. I have Mr. Meyer also. Actually at the same time. I choked my big bro.” He laughed, looking down.
“Are you… you okay?” I asked. He cleared his throat.
“Yeah, I'm fine. I've been in the system for two years. The real question is how are you?” I saw it his eyes-actual worry. Wow someone cares about my well-being.
“I'll survive.” I smiled up at him.
“Well here is Mrs. Patch’s room. Art? You draw?” He asked tilting his head to the side.
I shrugged.
“Yeah a little.” He put his hand lightly on my arm. I looked at his hand then up at him.
“Octavia if you need to talk about what happened I'm here. No one helped me and I know it is complete hell.” He let his hand fall and walked down the hall. I looked down, smiling. Feeling the heat splay across my cheek bones. I pushed open the door to the arm room, and walked over to Mrs. Patch’s desk. I cleared my throat.
“Excuse me? I'm Octavia Cromwell. I'm new where should I sit?” She looked up and smiled widely.
“Oh yes! Hello! I'm Mrs. Patch. You can sit next to Finn. He is over there.” She pointed over to the corner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you like it so far? Thanks for reading! :)