Summer Nights

there is love

She was summertime ā€“ bright sun on freshly mowed grass, dusted freckles on reddened cheeks, flowers intertwined in her hair. She was the scent of peaches lightly scattered across her neck and short poems written on wrinkled pieces of paper. She was toothpaste kisses in the morning and decaf coffee at midnight; marks left from chapstick lips and rings on wooden tables. She was flowing skirts and tangled hair and mischievous smiles hiding I love yous.

He was the night ā€“ stars sprinkled in navy blue skies, haloed light around a slivered moon, moonlight reflected off of darkened hair. He was entangled limbs under dim lights and ripped shirts from bands he never listened to. He was sharp edges that dug into your skin and raised scratches made by colored nails. He was burning liquid in tinted bottles and slurred words of I love you.

I was the gentle wind when the sun had set, chilling and soft in the same breath. I was entwined hands in tangled hair and gentle kisses on scarred skin. I was baggy, ripped shirts of bands Iā€™d learned to love and flowing skirts that went past my ankles. I was liquored breath hidden behind small smiles and whispered words of I love you.