Hero for a Day

Ka-boom!

Claire had parked her car up the street of the club she had heard him mention. She wasn't sure what she was waiting for, or looking for. Nothing seemed out of place or unusual. There were plenty of people walking along the street, cars were parked up and down the street, people were coming in and out of the shops and stores along the street.

She felt, once again, that perhaps she was well in over her head. She wasn't just dealing with some street crook or drug addicted here. The man who had taken control of her and her car was an organised crime lord. Was she truly that crazy to think she could stop his plans in his tracks?

Yes, yes she was. She started the car again and pulled back onto the street. This was not the right place for her to jump out of the car in a jumpsuit and a mask. No, she was just scoping the street for now. She did a lap around the block. She identified a small alley that, if she was lucky, may lead right to the back of the club. If she wasn't lucky she may have to vault a fence.

She pulled her car up right at the mouth of the alley. The street was quiet and there were few people around. She waited for the few stragglers to disappear around the corner or into shops before she made her dash. She jumped from the car, quickly locked her door and then bolted down the alley way. Once she was in the alley way she brought her pace down to a walk.

She made her way up and down the alley, turning corners to try and find the building that was the club. All the walls looked the same from behind. She thought she may have to start opening the back doors and peeking inside to work out which building was the club. That was until she turned another corner and spotted the giant pile of dynamite. She walked up to it with confidence as she proceeded to inspect it curiously. She noticed a window, high above the explosives. There was no way she could reach that height. She looked around her. There was a trash can a few meters down the alley. She quickly grabbed it, lifting it up and shuffling back to the window. She dropped it right below the window. She then tried to find leverage against the wall, sticking her fingertips in the gaps between the brick to try and support herself as she hoisted herself up onto the garbage can. It wobbled under her weight. For a moment she thought it might fall over. Luckily it didn't.

Claire peered through the small window. It was difficult to see in as the window looked like it hadn't seen a cloth in years. That was a good thing she supposed. If anyone happened to look up they probably wouldn't notice her. She did have to reach up to wipe away some of the grime. She did so from the corner to be more inconspicuous. Looking inside she spotted him. He was absolutely impossible to miss. Sure he wasn't wearing the bright purple jacket that he had been earlier in the car but he still wore the same bright purple pants. His green hair looked frazzled and knotted. He stood by a table that was piled high with money. He looked almost bored as he waved his hands around in the air in front of him.

Claire couldn't hear what he was saying. The glass was much too thick. She watched him closely though. She continued to watch the gestures he made as he began to pace around the table, at which sat two other men. A few other stood around them but they seemed to be nothing more than knuckle-headed henchmen. She knew the man pacing, who was beginning to become agitated as he became more erratic with his gestures, was the head honcho. Suddenly he stopped pacing. He stared straight at the man to the left sitting at the table, as though he were listening. Then he spoke one word. As his clenched fists flew up, he spread his fingers and threw his hands up in the air. Ka-boom!