Hero for a Day

Havoc.

Claire ducked her head down from the window. She inspected the pile of explosives at her feet. If that went off it would take out this entire block and then some. She jumped down from the bin and picked it up to move it back away from the window. She rushed back to inspect the dynamite. The sticks seemed to be rigged to a small black box. As she picked it up and flipped it over in her hand it occurred to her that this was probably the receiver for a remote detonation device. Of course he wouldn't blow it up with himself still in the building. He would wait just long enough for himself to be out of the explosion zone and then flip a switch to let it off.

It occurred to Claire that he wouldn't come out and check the pile. He wouldn't want to let it be known where it was too early. Sure, they would probably come straight out here after he left but that still wouldn't give them enough time to do anything before it blew to the high heavens. Claire got a bit giddy at the thought that she may be able to ruin this guys day – and of course save many lives in the process – by simply discarding the remote detonation receiver.

With a large toothy grin on her face she gave the single wire that feed into the receive a brutish tug. It didn't come lose. Dang. She had nothing to cut the wire with so she would have to try something else. She stood up, took a deep breath, and with all her might she lifted her leg and stomped down on it. Nothing but pain in her heel. She sighed, looking around. There seemed to be nothing. On her second sweeping glance of the alley, however, she noticed a rather large chunk of brick laying on the ground by the corner of an intersection between this alley and another. She rushed over and grabbed it. It seemed heavy. Perfect. Rushing back she crouched down next to the pile of explosives. She held the brick in both her hands above her head and in one swift motion she bought her hand down and the device crumbled beneath it's force. She very nearly let out a victory whoop until she realised she should probably get out of there.

She jumped up and ran back down the alley, taking several turns until she burst out on the street and ran straight at her car. She fiddled for her car keys which she had stuffed down her bra due to lack of pockets. Once she had fished them out she unlocked her car and took a seat in. She breathed a huge sigh of relief. Perhaps this vigilante gig wasn't so hard after all.

Feel more confident back in the safety of her car she flicked the key into the ignition and the car roared to life. She pulled the car out onto the road and drove back around to the front of the building. Once again she pulled up far enough away to not draw suspicion or be seen from anyone leaving the club. She sat patiently with the engine running and the music playing softly through the speakers. She didn't have to wait long before she spotted that familiar green mop of hair fleeing from the club. The henchman followed him out and they all piled into a van. They very quickly took off, and Claire was ready in the waiting to tail them.

They didn't go too far. Only a few blocks down, really. It took them about five minutes to pull up by a park. Claire drove around and pulled up at the other end. She watched as the door to the van slid open. The clown, one arm holding the door the van, held half his body out from the van. The arm he outstretched held a similar black box to the one Claire had smashed. She was too far away to see him hit the button but she could guess when he hit it the first time as his bright red lips instinctually curled into that horrific grin of his as he anticipated seeing the cloud of smoke rising into the air after the explosives should have gone off. It never came though. His smile didn't falter at first. He simply pulled his arm back in and, with his other hand, smashed down on the button as though it may be stuck. Now his smile fell. He gave the remote a few more stubborn smacks before he threw it to the ground. He swung the door of the van shut. A moment later the van took off at great speed, careless to those pedestrians and cars around it.

Claire floored it. She chased after them to see what their next move was. Apparently it was to go back to the club. She pulled up just in time to see the clown leaving the car with two large semi automatics in his hands. As she pulled up and parked the car, much closer this time, she froze. She had absolutely no idea what to do. There was no way she was going in there to stop him. Tailing a criminal and smashing some technology is one thing but walking into a shoot up was absolutely not her gig. Batman had bulletproof gear. Batman had speed and experience on his side. She was just a silly little girl playing dress up.

While Claire may not have been able to save the lives of those in the club right now, she did hope to perhaps do some good in the situation. If they couldn't make a get away in their get away van, perhaps it would make it easier for the police to respond to the crime quicker and stop them before they caused more havoc.