Hero for a Day

Superhero.

Claire jumped from her car. She didn't even take a moment to think of how ridiculous she looked. She simply thought about trying to hinder the criminals. Claire got to the van and ripped the drivers side door open. The keys were sitting in the ignition, waiting for them to come straight back. She knew she had to move fast if they felt confident leaving a van with the keys in the ignition. She grabbed the keys and ripped them from the ignition. She was about to run off when she spotted a switchblade hidden in the compartment between the two front seats.

Claire grabbed the switchblade. She flicked it open and cringed when she spotted dry blood on the blade. She didn't falter though. She had to move quickly. She crouched down by the tyre. She drew her hand back and stab the at the tyre with the blade. It did nothing. She sighed and tried again. Still the same results. This was a lot harder than it seemed on movies. She pulled her hand back. She was about the strike a third time when she spotted a rather large henchman step around the door. He stared down at her for a moment as she looked up with her mouth agape.

The henchman chuckled. He cracked his knuckles before he bent down to pick her up by her hair. Claire cried out as he dragged her forcefully around the van. The henchman lifted her head up as they reached the side door for her to see the clown and four other henchmen looking out at her. The clown took a moment to take Claire in, lapping her up with his eyes. He suddenly licked his lips and clapped his hands together.

'Look sharp, we've got a lady coming aboard!' the clown cackled and the henchman threw her into the van. She hit a wall of flesh and landed on the floor of the van as she heard the van door slam. Claire curled into a ball and covered her head with her arm, wishing this was all just a terrible horrible dream. She heard the van switch on and was thrown across the floor and into the door as the driver pulled out with great speed.

'Now, sweet cheeks, let's get a good look at you.' The clown giggled. She felt his gloved hands entwine in her hair before he pulled her up to look at him. This close she could see the infamous scars that kissed both his cheeks, the cracked and worn make up, and the fire that burned in his eyes.
'Tsk, tsk. Whatever is all of this?' He pinched the shoulder strap of her jump suit, 'You really didn't have to go to all this lengths to get me to laugh now.' Claire could think of nothing to say to this vile excuse of a man so she did the next thing that crossed her mind. She spat at him.

She expected him to explode. She was sure he would scream and shout at her, and perhaps even hit her. He did not. Instead a cheeky glint twinkled in his eye as he let his head fall back and an eerie laugh escaped from him. It took him nearly a full minute to regain his composure. When he looked back at her he had to wipe a tear from his eye and clutch at his sides from laughing so hard.

'Toots you certainly are one hell of a broad!' The twinkle suddenly left his eye and it was now the psychopath that glared at her, 'You do realise that you're not actually a superhero, don't you? Did you enjoy getting in the way of my evil plans? It must have been great fun to play dress ups for the day, huh? You do realise it's these kind of caped shenanigans that will land you in the nutter, right? There's only one man too crazy to avoid that place. <i> The Bats!</i>' He hissed.

'They can throw me in whatever hole they want to. I'm sure they will since I was crazy enough to try and take you on. That's fine. At the end of the day I know I saved twice as many lives as you took, <i>Joker</i>.' Claire couldn't help but spit his name with as much disgusted as he had put into saying Batman's.

He grinned again. He reached behind him to pick up one of the guns that had been on the floor behind him. He pointed it straight at her head. Claire didn't flinch. The words she had spoken wrung true to her. At this point she didn't care what happened to her. If he killed her now at least she knew that someone else got to live because of her actions. And, after all, isn't that what being a superhero is all about?
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin.

Or is it?