‹ Prequel: Coffee Shop Soundtrack

Running From Lions

Introduction.

I watched the raindrops hit the window and roll down the glass, one after another. I rolled over in bed and faced the opposite wall. The moonlight was casting a shadow of my bedroom furniture across the room. I listened to the rain pick up and the moonlight slowly dim away. Lightning lit up the room for a split second before disappearing again.

I grabbed my phone off of the nightstand and looked at the time. 3:00am. I had been trying to fall asleep for more than three hours now. This was nothing new, I had gotten used to not sleeping anymore.

I heard a small thump and I thought it was thunder, but then I heard it again. It was coming from the front door.

I kicked the blanket off and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I ran my hands through my hair and stood up. Who would be knocking on my door at this time?

I pulled on a pair of jeans over my boxers before I slowly made my way towards the door. They knocked one more time right before I swung the door open. The light from the hallway made me squint my eyes.

The mystery knocker stood in front of me, her hand still in a fist ready to knock again. Her long dark brown hair hung in front of her face as she looked at the ground. She was dripping wet from the rain.

She dropped her hand but didn’t look up.

“Makenna?” I asked, my vision becoming clearer.

She finally looked up at me, but her hair still covered most of her face. Water dripped down the ends of her hair into a small puddle at her feet.

“What are you doing here?”

Makenna brought her hand up to her face and tucked some hair behind her ear, revealing a black and blue swollen circle around her right eye. She was squinting from it, like she couldn’t open it all the way, and the whites of her eye were almost completely red.

She swallowed and looked up at me. She looked terrified. “I had no where else to go."