When the Savior Is Damned

Epilogue

It was beyond his obsessions with death and violence and regret; dark aspects of mortality that so many fear to venture into, but will eventually catch up with them and engulf them in its miserable grasp.

It was beyond the anthems he sings that prompts a crowd to cheer or scream, or brings them to their knees in amazement and adoration, or moves them to laughter or tears; the way he surrounds himself with people more broken than him so he wouldn’t be so alone.

It was beyond his passion, his love and his fervor for what he thinks is his the only thing he's living for; his determination to do anything, absolutely anything, to make better everything that seems so wrong.

It was beyond all that and so many other things that could be mentioned; yet the answer was so simple and so plain.

Because for all the things the world thought Gerard Way was trying to say, it was just this: that for anyone to be the savior of the broken, the beaten, and the damned, he has to be all those things himself. The only difference was that he was able to rise above and conquer them, and therefore fit to lead his people from such a dark and cruel place.

He still has to save himself before he can save anyone else.

And his brother, Mikey, only wished he could have chosen a better answer to his lingering question, one that didn't involve killing himself.

One that didn't have to make him commit suicide.