Beyond the Surface

Chapter Two

Philip was leaning against the side of the building, taking his break in the shade. He was dreading going back inside. The AC had happened to break the week of a heat wave.

"Stupid blonde." Philip paused his browsing of EBay. He knew that voice. Nasally and pitched low. He racked his head, but couldn't put a face to it.

"Did you get it?" Another voice asked. Philip didn't really care what the customers talked about because they were hardly in the store long enough, but malice in their tones put him on edge. Plus Ashley may be blonde, but there was no need to stereotype her.

"Yeah. Lucky us. He's at break now.” Clearly they were talking about Philip and weren’t too happy he wasn’t there. “But he'll be by himself later tonight." The glee in his voice made Philip's stomach drop. He peeked around the corner for a look. It was those fellows from a couple of days ago. Philip ducked back as Doug whined from being punched in his shoulder, by his friend.

"Fool. We work tonight..." Philip strained to hear anything else but their voices trailed off. A truck door slammed. Philip watched them drive away, hoping they didn’t see him.

Philip sighed as his gut twisted up. He needed to let his manager know that they might do something. She’d probably tell him to contact the police. Philip ended his break, knowing he would be fine for the night. Like they said they had work. He would come in early the next day before he worked and let his manager know.