Status: Active c:

Edge of Destruction

Everyday

"Kendra, no." I had my phone pressed to my ear while I was trying to put away the new comics before I had to close in 15 minutes. Kendra, my best friend, was trying to convince me to start texting one of her clients. She was always trying to set me up with people. "Please, Lyra. He's super nice and cute, and I think you need that right now." I sighed loudly, dropping a few comics on the floor. "Kendra. I said no. You know what always happens when you do this." I picked up the comics, slamming them into their shelves, starting to get irritated. "What? What happens? You never tell me!" I groaned, getting even more irritated. "They hang out with me once, realize that I'm crazy and weird, and then never speak to me again. Trust me, Ken, nobody wants to date a girl who works in a comic book store. It's like the ultimate cliche." I snorted. I was finally done putting the comics away, when I noticed that Kendra had been pretty quiet for a few moments. "Ken..?" Had I made her mad? "Uh, yeah, sorry, Ly.. You uh.. you're on speaker phone, and he's kinda right here." "Fuck.." I whispered, slapping my forehead. I heard a male chuckle in the background.

"Yeah, Kendra, this is exactly why this stuff doesn't work. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but nice guys and I don't mix well. You know I only actually attract complete psychos who love to treat girls like shit. That's my thing." I heard him laugh again, and I felt my cheeks start burning. "Kendra, you're an ass. Why am I still on speakerphone?" This time, Kendra joined in on the laughing. I sighed into the phone. "Look, sir, I'm sure you're probably super great, and dreamy, and probably really handsome, but I promise this won't work out. Every time Kendra sets me up with someone, they literally run away from me." Kendra interrupted me, "Hey! That was only one time, and that's because all you wanted to talk about was aliens." This caused the man to laugh even harder. "Well, it's me, what do you expect Kendra?" I was into all sorts of weird things, aliens, witchcraft, crystal magic. You name it, and I was probably into it. "What has she even told you about me?" I was now addressing him, directly. "Well, uh, she already told me where you work, and a few other small things.. but I gotta say, based strictly off this phone call, you uh.. you sound pretty fun." His voice sounded like honey.

I stayed pretty quiet for a minute, not quite sure what to say. "Ly? You still there?" Kendra asked, sounding worried. "Y-yeah, yeah, sorry. I was glaring at people to scare them away from the store so I can close." The man laughed again. "Look, Ken, he seems really nice, but please try to talk some sense into him. I'll see you at home, and we can talk about this more." And with that, I hung up. It only took me about 10 minutes to close up and do my nightly paperwork, and I was out the door and in my jeep. I plugged the aux cord into my phone and scrolled through my music before I came across "The Hills" by The Weekend. Turning the volume all the way up, I began the drive home. Luckily, I was only a few blocks from home, so The song was still blasting when I pulled into my driveway. I noticed Kendra's car was there, along with a beautiful red Jeep Wrangler. I was drooling over it before I was even out of my car.

"Ken, who's car is out front? It's fucking gorgeous!" I yelled as I walked into the house, heading straight for the kitchen. I heard whispering, and I just figured she had a boy over. I opened the fridge, pulling out a bottle of red wine before pulling a wine glass out of a cabinet. "Kendra?" I called out, again. Why wasn't she answering me. At that moment, she slowly walked into the kitchen, with a sheepish grin on her face. "What did you do?" I asked her, taking a sip of my wine. "Don't get mad." She whispered, making me roll my eyes. "You brought him here, didn't you?" Her grin grew wider and I sighed. "Why would you do that?" I downed the rest of my wine and set my glass in the sink. "I really wanted you two to meet.. I think you'd really hit it off." I chuckled, "That's why you set up dates, Ken. Not bring strangers over to another strangers house." "I know, I know, but I also know that if I didn't do this, you'd never give him a chance." I sighed again. She was probably right. "Alright, alright. But if this doesn't work out, dont you dare say I didn't try." She nodded, clapping her hands together excitedly. "How do I look?" I asked her, pulling my shorts down, further onto my tattooed thighs and straightening out my tank top. She ran her hands through my curly, blue hair to fluff it up, before smiling. "Great." I shook my head, biting my cheek. "You're lucky I love you, Kendra." I whispered, before following her into the living room.

He had his back turned to me, but I immediately noticed his height. He had to be about 6'4" , 6'5", his golden hair was tied up in a bun, and he had an undercut. He was wearing a red flannel shirt, black jeans and black and white chucks. I could smell his cologne from a few feet away, and my god, did he smell heavenly. "Lyra, this is Kells. Kells, this is Lyra." He turned around, and it was like everything was in slow motion. The first thing I noticed were his eyes. They were ice blue, the kind that makes your knees quake. His smile was bright and beautiful. He had light stubble, which just made him even more attractive. I gulped as he held his hand out towards me. "Hey, how's it going?" He said smoothly. I slowly placed my hand in his and managed to choke out a "Hi." That made him laugh. His laugh was wonderful.

"So, uh. Kendra told me that if I didn't come over here, you probably wouldn't agree to even give me your number." I shrugged, a blush rising to my cheeks. "She's probably right." I told him softly. "That's cute." He whispered, pointing to my cheeks. That made it even worse, and he chuckled. "So, how about now?" He asked me, licking his lips absentmindedly. I bit my lip, staring at the wall behind him, trying to keep my eyes off of his mouth. "I mean, maybe." Kendra nudged me with her elbow. "Jeeze! Are you still here?" I gasped, wondering why she was still standing there during this awkward conversation. "I gotta make sure you don't run away from him.. I mean just LOOK at him." Kells laughed, covering his face with one of his hands, peeking out from in between his fingers. I shook my head and pushed Kendra out of the room, towards her bedroom, before slowly walking back over to Kells. His face got serious when I got within a foot of him. "Look, I know you're scared, I don't know why you are, but I know it. You don't have to be." He reached out, grabbing my hand with his, rubbing his thumb over the top of my hand. "I heard what you said about only attracting psychos, and I just want you to know.. No woman deserves to be treated like shit. And I'm not that kinda guy. Kendra told me a lot about you, but I'd really like to get to know you, myself." My heart was pounding in my chest. He wasn't acting like all the other guys I've dated.. He was acting like a man should. He was kind, considerate, honest.. I kept my eyes on the ground, his shoes specifically. "Give me your phone." I told him softly. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, placing it in my hand. I typed my number into his contacts, making my contact name 'Lyra' with a heart faced emoji. When I handed it back to him, he smiled, typing for a moment before looking back up at me. "You should have my number now, too." I nodded, feeling my phone buzz in my back pocket. He took a few steps forward, until he was standing right in front of me, toe to toe. I suddenly became aware of how short I was. "You're really tiny." He said, chuckling at our height difference. I was only 5'2", on a good day. "Yeah, yeah, don't remind me." His phone started ringing, and he answered it, backing away from me a bit. I decided to take this opportunity to read the text he sent me and save his number in my phone.
You have really beautiful eyes.
I felt my cheeks burn again, and I saved his number under 'Kells' with a heart shaped emoji. I shoved my phone back into my pocket as he came back over to me, hanging up his phone. "I gotta go, right now. My manager needs to talk to me about booking some shows. You'll text me, right?" He asked me. I nodded, biting my lip. He smiled, and I almost melted. "I-I'll walk you out." I told him, turning for the door. He followed me, and I stood in the driveway with him for a moment. "Well, I am glad I came over here to meet you." He told me, leaning against his Jeep. "Y-Yeah, me too." I was nervous. Nobody has had this sort of effect on my in a long time. He chuckled, opening the door to his car, climbing in. "You better text me. I know where you live." He called to me, shutting the door and turning on his music. I waved to him, waiting until he drove away to go back inside. Once I was inside and the door was locked, I did a little victory dance. I was feeling excited about someone for the first time in a long time.