Status: Active c:

Edge of Destruction

Gone

Luckily, Kendra was home when the cab finally pulled up to our apartment. I walked in the door, and as soon as my eyes made contact with hers, I started bawling. She ran over to me, pulling me into a hug and holding me as I cried. "Shhh.. Its okay, whatever it is, its okay." I shook my head, trembling. "He lied to me, Ken.. Everything was just a fucking lie." I whimpered. "What do you mean?" I heard her phone ringing, "It's him. Tell me what he did." She said sternly. "He has a g-girlfriend. Its her h-house." I stammered, pulling myself out of her embrace. Her nostrils flared with anger as she picked up the phone. "What do you want?" She spat, furious with him at the moment. She put him on speaker so I could hear their conversation. "She's not answering her phone. I need to talk to her." His voice was pleading. "I think you've done enough talking. Filling her head with promises that you never intended to keep. What you need to do is leave her alone." Kendra was now using her scary mom voice with him. Thats how you could tell she was really upset. "Please, just let me talk to her." "No. If you want to continue to have me as your photographer, you need to quit speaking to her. You've done enough damage already." With that, she hung up on him, taking my hands and walking me to my bedroom. "Here, lay down. You need to calm yourself down before you have a full-blown panic attack." I listened to her, my breathing labored from crying so much.

Why was I so upset? I didn't even know. We weren't together. He was never mine. But it still felt as if someone had crushed my heart with a ton of bricks. My chest ached. This was heartbreak.

-------

Over the next few weeks I was a complete wreck. I went to work, came home, and went to sleep. I couldn't listen to the radio because Machine Gun Kelly songs would come on and it would throw me into a crying fit. I couldn't even bring myself to smile lately. I was spiraling into an abyss, and Kendra began to notice it. "Lyra, you've gotta go out and do something. You've just been sleeping your life away for the past two weeks. You were like this after Josh, too." She was trying to convince me to go to a party with her. I sat on my bed, staring at my hands. "Will he be there?" I whispered to her. She stayed quiet for a moment before answering, "Probably. It's been three weeks, Lyra. You've got to forget about him. I'll introduce you to a few guys, get your mind off of him being there." I sighed, I knew she wasn't going to give up. She'd just keep pestering me until I gave in. I nodded slowly, "Alright.. I'll go with you.. but I want to drive separately so that I can leave if I want to." "Deal. I just gotta call someone to give them your license plate number and the model of your car so that you can have free parking. Get dressed, something nice." She told me, walking out of the room.

I sighed and got up, walking over to my closet. I looked through everything, finally deciding on a form fitting black dress. I put on a pair of bright red pumps and turned on my curling iron so I could make my hair look decent. After curling my hair and throwing some eyeliner and red lipstick on, I stared at myself in the mirror. I looked wonderful on the outside, but I still felt numb on the inside. I walked out of my bedroom and into the living room where Kendra was, and her jaw dropped. "What?" I asked her, suddenly feeling insecure. "You look like Bettie Page but with blue hair.. If only looks could kill." I smiled lightly, grabbing my purse off the coffee table.

When we got to the club, I parked my car next to Kendra's, and we walked in together. All she had to do was show them her work badge and they let her right in. Oh, the perks of being friends with a photographer. When we walked in, it was loud and dark. My eyes scanned the building, trying to find him. After about 5 minutes, I saw him standing by the bar with a few of his buddies. Luckily, he didn't see me. Hopefully, he wouldn't. This place was pretty crowded with well over 200 people. I stayed by Kendra's side, and she introduced me to two different guys. One of them was a rapper named Travis Mills and the other was 'the front man of a metal band, and his name was Matt. They were pretty good looking, but they didn't catch my interest. After talking with them for half an hour, I excused myself, walking over to the bar, now that I noticed Kells wasn't there anymore. The bartender came right over to me, "You're gorgeous." She gushed, smiling widely. I smiled back at her, thanking her. "What can I get you?" "Rum and coke, please." She nodded, walking away to make my drink. When she came back over, a new voice spoke. "Put it on my tab, please." I turned my head, seeing Travis standing there. She nodded at him before flashing me a quick smile. He sat down next to me, holding his own drink in his hand. "So what's up? Why do I get the feeling that you don't want to be here?" He asked me bluntly. I shrugged, "Maybe I don't." He chuckled, "It's a guy, isn't it?" I laughed softly, nodding. "Isn't it always?" He nodded, too. "I don't know what he did, but all I can say is that he doesn't deserve you." I smiled, taking a sip of my drink.

I became aware of another presence behind me, and I didn't even bother turning around. I knew it was him. I could smell his cologne. Travis looked up at him, a smirk on his lips. "MGK, Whaddup?" He asked, holding his hand out to him. "How's it goin', Mills?" Kells said back, shaking his hand. "Excuse me." I whispered to Travis, taking my drink and standing up to walk away, but Kells put his hand on my hip, stopping me. "Can I talk to you?" He whispered. Travis's smile grew. "So this is the guy, huh?" He asked me. I didn't look at either of them, and i stayed silent. "I don't think she wants to talk to you, dude." Travis told him. Kells ignored him, coming into my line of sight. "Please." I didn't look at his face, I kept my eyes on the top button of his shirt. I knew that if I made eye contact with him, I'd be a goner. "I don't have anything to say to you." I told him softly, but stern. He sighed, trying to take my hand in his, but I pulled it away. "I just want to explain myself. If you don't want to talk to me anymore after that, fine." I shook my head, "I don't want to talk to you, Colson. There's nothing left to say." I walked away from him, but he started following me. "We aren't even together, Lyra. She's my ex." I shook my head, holding my hand up to him to signal him to stop talking. He grabbed my hand, spinning me around so that I fell into him. We were now chest to chest, his face mere inches from mine, his arms locked around my waist. "Lyra." He pleaded my name, but I shook my head. "No." Was all I said, pushing away from him.

We had begun to draw the attention of the crowd, and Travis had made his way over to us. "Dude, she said no. Leave her alone." He said to Kells, grabbing his shoulder and pushing him back. Kells shook his head, and I could tell he was getting angry. "This is none of your business." He spat at Travis. I took this opportunity to make a run for it, heading out of the club and to my car. Once I was in the drivers seat with the door locked, I sent Kendra a text filling her in on the situation and letting her know that I was heading home.

When I pulled into my driveway, I got out slowly, seeing that Kells had just pulled up behind me. He stomped over to me, "Why won't you just let me explain myself?" I shook my head, feeling tears sting my eyes. "Because, I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear anymore lies from you. I don't know why I was so fucking surprised when this happened. You're all the same." I spat at him, starting to get angry. I could feel my blood start to boil as angry tears fell from my eyes. "That's right. Let it out. I can take it." He told me, coming to stand in front of me. I couldn't stop myself, "You just fucking used me, like it was some sort of joke to you. Make girls think you really care for them, that you're different from the rest, but you're really not. You're a fucking prick." I pushed him away from me, my fist colliding with his chest, but he didn't budge. "You never actually cared." My voice was barely above a whisper, now. "You know that isn't true." He growled, coming closer. "Oh, it is! Its true, alright. It's fine, I get it. I saw her. How could I be stupid enough to think that I could compare to that?" I wiped my eyes, my makeup smearing. I didn't even care anymore. "What are you even fucking saying?" He asked. "I saw her!" I yelled at him, not caring if I sounded crazy at this point. He gripped my shoulders, shaking me lightly. "I don't fucking want her. I want you. I want this!" He yelled back at me, a pained expression on his face. I shook my head again, "You don't want this." I whispered, pulling out of his grasp, walking towards my house. "Go home, Colson." I called behind me, but he continued to follow me, "What do I have to do to prove it to you? Get down on my knees and beg you?" I spun around, and he stopped abruptly, almost crashing into me. "Is she still living with you?" I asked him flatly. He shook his head, "She hasn't been living with me for almost eight months now. We broke up almost a year ago." "Then why was she there?" He shrugged, "I literally have no idea, babe. If I honestly knew, I'd tell you in a heartbeat." I sniffled, wiping my eyes again, not looking at him directly.

"Lyra.." He whispered my name, reaching out to me, taking my hand in his. "I'm fighting harder for you than I've ever fought for someone before.. That has to count for something, right?" I shrugged. "I'll think about it." I whispered to him, and he breathed a sigh of relief. His grip on my hand tightened. "When can I see you again?" He asked, hopeful. "I'll text you." I told him, taking my hand out of his and heading into my apartment without so much as looking at him.