Sequel: Thick Smoke
Status: Trying

Through Her Eyes

Secrets

The feast was over and the halls were getting crowded by students from different houses. The classroom on the fifth floor was incredibly close to the Ravenclaw common room, which was probably the worst house to meet at the moment.

Ravenclaws could ask questions for a whole day and still have more to comment afterwards so meeting someone like Gatterby was not needed.

"You go first and I will come out afterwards. Be careful." Severus whispered before opening the door and checking for passer byes.

No one was on their hall but once they would get on the stairs, they'd meet a lot of people.

Ophelia nodded and hid her wand before adventuring out into the wild crowds.

Image

It was incredibly easy to sneak around and get back to the Gryffindor tower. No one stopped to glance twice at her, instead they were speaking loudly about some kind of announcement that Dumbledore gave at the beginning of the Halloween feast.

When she entered the common room, a very excited Potter was moving around chaotically, swaying his hands above his head with a bright smile on his face.

"What's gotten into him?" She asked as she sneaked her way behind Remus. 

"It seems there will be a Scavenger Hunt or something of that sort. It's still a long time until April, but it seems we have to find eggs that will contain different types of spells and we have to do them correctly in order to get the next hint." Remus explained, glancing every so often at Potter.

"Is that all? What will be the prize?" Ophelia asked, her interest dripping away.

"That's it. Dumbledore said that the prize is worth it but he never said what it actually is."

"Then why is Potter so happy?"

Remus chuckled, "He's been begging Professor McGonagall ever since the year begun to let him try for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. He is still not allowed but he's been very perseverant." Remus started, remembering just how annoyed was McGonagall every time James would complain.

"So she finally agreed?"

"No but she gave him the opportunity to practice with them once a week."

Right at that moment, Black entered the common room, his face showing an expression that he would rarely have: anger.

"Mate! Sirius, she finally let me try out! Well, she didn't really but it's still one step away from making it into the team!" Potter started to ramble as soon as his eyes fell over his friend.

"Good for you, mate."

That was all Sirius said before going into the boys’ dormitory. Silence fell over the common room; only whispers from students that were studying could be heard but they were very faint.

Ophelia and Remus glanced at each other confused before they both turned to an even sour looking Potter. He rubbed the back of his head and came to sit on the desk in front of Remus.

"Huh."

That was the only sound that came out of Potter's mouth. It was obvious that he wanted to complain more about what happened but decided to stay silent for a while.

"What do you think happened to him?" Ophelia asked Remus, leaning a bit towards him.

However, looking up at the dark sky, Remus' interests shifted and so did his worries. It was still a bit early but he had to leave for the night.

"Sorry, I have to go." He mumbled before getting up and rushing out the portrait hole.

"Now, what is happening with everyone?" Potter asked, though it sounded more like a whine really.

Once again, Ophelia was standing only with Potter and the awkwardness was slowly filling the space between them.

“Molley, do you hate me?”

That sudden question left the girl speechless for approximately five seconds, time in which she had to register the fact that Potter was speaking to her directly about something that was concerning her.

“I don’t hate you, we’re classmates. I just don’t like the way you behave.” Ophelia answered, her tone sounding a lot like she has thought about it before.

“I’m a kid, in case you forgot. I’m supposed to be easily excitable and get on your nerves.”

Ophelia scoffed but couldn’t help let a very small smile curve her lips. She did try to keep it hidden but it was widening quickly, blowing into laughter. Potter’s eyes widened like two round plates at the sight and sound; he has never expected to make her laugh so joyfully.

“Are you alright? Is this a side effect of your crush on Malfoy?” Potter partially joked.

That was it; he blew it with one simple sentence. Ophelia’s face darkened and her lips moved back on that thin line that Potter had gotten used to see.

“You should learn when to comment and when not to. You should also learn more about girls if you ever want any to glance your way and not frown.”

Ophelia threw him a glare before she walked out the same way Remus did a few minutes ago, her steps so heavy that Potter could still hear her walk even when the portrait closed.  

“What in Merlin’s name is wrong with everyone today?” He wandered out loud, ruffling his hair in annoyance.

Image

It was a silent night and Ophelia was glad that students got befuddled during the feast and were peacefully sleeping or reading in their rooms. A soft smile spread on her pink lips as the frown between her eyebrows relaxed. The brunette took a deep breath in and checked for anyone in the Entrance Hall before opening the front door very, very slowly.

“The curfew is an important factor in the life of a student, especially a first year, Molley.”

The cold, ice dripping, authoritarian voice of Professor Spinnard froze any action that would have followed opening the door. She turned around warily but kept a hand on the door, just in case she had to make a run for her life.

“It’s silent.” She muttered, her eyes widening in innocence yet the glint in those green orbs was definitely not.

Professor Spinnard narrowed his icy blue eyes at her, seeing the familiar mischievousness that he had seen before, in the eyes of an old classmate of his. It’s been a long time since he looked at someone and remembered so vividly just how much terror and tension was in Hogwarts when that boy attended it.

“Why did you come to Hogwarts, Molley?” He asked out of nowhere, the whole atmosphere around him threatening the girl. “Is it part of his plan? Does he want you to report everything Dumbledore does?”

Spinnard was asking questions and making statements that Ophelia had no recollection of. The impressively tall man took a few steps towards her, forcing the girl to take a few steps back, hitting her shoulder against the door. He leaned in, tilting his head to the side in a way that looked like he was a maniac, scanning his victim for later evil purposes.  

“You should have been killed not rescued. Your blood will curse everyone that ever comes in contact with you. They will all die and it will be your entire fault.” He said, emphasizing every word, anger filling his whole being as he continued to look straight into her eyes.

Ophelia was scared but there was another feeling that was slowly engulfing her body and mind and that was offence. Spinnard was just a professor and nothing was giving him the right to judge her or her family, especially when everything he was saying was not even completely true. She might not have any memory of her father or time with her mother but she was not going to let some strange man stain their image just because he could. No, her family was her problem and hers alone.

Having these kinds of thoughts running through her mind, she felt a sudden burst of energy that was bubbling up inside her, crawling up and down her arms. Her eyes darkened considerably before her whole face became paler and strangely enough, looked like a pissed off snake. Her lips shifted into a very ugly scowl before she grabbed him by the front of his robes and pulled him close enough to touch his nose.

“You know nothing about me or my family.” She hissed.

Spinnard chuckled, his eyes widening, which was quite an achievement since he would rarely be surprised or bemused at something.

“I know your father. I know who he is, unlike you.” Spinnard whispered, his face expression turning even more chaotic. “Why do you think Dumbledore asked me to teach you extra-spells? Those spells are not for first years but it seems you should know them before your dear father decided to pop out of his rabbit hole and recover what is rightfully his.”

“That is enough, Luce.”

It wasn’t loud enough to echo through the whole castle but it was stern enough to make both culprits freeze. Spinnard raised an eyebrow, visibly annoyed with the interruption but Ophelia didn’t seem unnerved by Dumbledore’s appearance. Spinnard turned towards the headmaster, a few words on the tip of his tongue that might end his career as a teacher. Well, he couldn’t say he was very happy with the arrangements anyway, especially since Dumbledore literally blackmailed him into professing in Hogwarts.

In one quick and very sly movement, Ophelia grabbed Spinnard by the back of his head and pulled him in front of her, tilting it enough to have a partial view of his face. Dumbledore’s eyes widened when Ophelia started to speak to the former Hogwarts student in a language that he personally wanted to forget. Seeing how Ophelia was definitely not aware of what she was doing and someone else was controlling her from the shadows, Dumbledore drew his wand and swayed it elegantly before Ophelia fainted.

“This is your fault, Dumbledore. You should have left her to rot with her mother not care for her safety.” Spinnard hissed at his employer, his neck throbbing with pain.

But Dumbledore had a different problem at the moment. While most students were in their rooms, sleeping, there was one little boy with greasy black hair that couldn’t sleep. Severus Snape witnessed everything, especially the sudden change in his friend. Evwn if Dumbledore was sure he would never tell anyone about what happened that night, Severus was going to act differently around Ophelia.

That was why, moving silently to the entrance into the dungeons, Albus Dumbledore smiled softly and told Severus to approach him. Being just a first year student, Severus swallowed nervously and complied.

“I won’t tell anyone, I swear. I-“

Dumbledore raised his hand, silencing the young boy before he could say something more.

“I know. That’s why I have a favor to ask of you, Severus. Take care of her when she doesn’t need it and watch her when no one is watching. Make her trust you more than anyone in her life.” The elder man spoke, so softly and caring that Severus couldn’t help interrupt with one curiosity.

“Is it because of her father?” 

Dumbledore sighed but nodded nonetheless. Severus turned to the unconscious body of his friend, a new sensation bubbling up inside his heart; he was excited to see just how many more secrets could one little girl be the source of.