Sequel: Thick Smoke
Status: Trying

Through Her Eyes

Lost

Minerva McGonagall was preparing for her Transfiguration lesson when a cute white owl entered through the window and landed straight in front of her. The owl was familiar but it’s been a while since Minerva has heard from that particular student of hers. Nonetheless, the owl was there and he looked panicked. He jumped closer to the professor and looked up at her with what looked to be teary eyes. In that moment, Minerva knew something very wrong happened, snatched the letter from the owl and rushed out of her office. Her face was contorted into an expression of shock and pity and by the time she found Professor Dumbledore, she was already tearing up.

“What is it, Minerva?” He asked, noticing her expression.

She only handed him the letter and waited patiently for her colleague to give the announcement.
Dumbledore read the letter slowly, his blue eyes not widening once at the containment.

Dear Professor Dumbledore,

By the time you get this letter, I will be already dead. I have lived a life under constant watch but I treasured it and treasured my family to some extent.

I have returned what is not mine and I consider that is the best place to hide something so powerful.

I would appreciate if my daughter could be looked after by you not by my cousin. I’m sorry I couldn’t say my farewells in person but circumstances wouldn’t let me.

Please, don’t let her get entangled into his web. Ophelia should never know who her father is. Never.

Lillian Gaunt


Once he read everything, Dumbledore rushed out of his office, Minerva following closely.

“What should we do now? The child, he can’t get the child.” She said in a hurry.

Dumbledore walked out and turned to her before he smiled sadly.

“Our priority is her safety. If Tom will ever find her, I’d like it to be at an older age when she can decide for herself.” He said softly, though very worried.

“What is that supposed to mean? Albus, he can never find her. She’s his opportunity for-“ She stopped, shuddering at the thought.

Dumbledore placed a comforting hand on her shoulder before turning around and leaving.

Image

Before Dumbledore got to Ireland, someone else apparated in the house. Vernon Peverell found Lillian’s dead body first and gave a loud cry. He loved her more than she ever knew and seeing those beautiful eyes lifeless was breaking his heart.

His ears perked when he heard light movement in her room and pushed it open. He came face to face with a crying and scared Ophelia and followed her to her mother’s side. The young girl cried even more at the sight of her mother’s corpse and took refuge next to her body.

When Dumbledore entered, he found the house in a bad state. It was obvious someone searched wildly for something but he couldn’t find it. He looked up and licked his lips nervously. Dumbledore knew what was up there and that sentiment of anticipation was cringing.

Crouched next to a dead body was a scared little girl who didn’t know who to trust. Dumbledore walked towards her slowly and bent in front of her. His eyes first fell over Lillian feeling conflicted with the way she died. However, she was such a smart and sly witch that she didn’t give him the stone but placed it back where she took it from.  Next, he turned towards the child. Ophelia looked like a chubby version of her mother, extremely cute yet her eyes were giving off a different vibe. Dumbledore looked closely at the girl, a bit reluctant to help her. That was Tom’s child and there were high chances for her to follow her father later on; those eyes were a sign. But Dumbledore couldn’t find it in himself to leave her in misery.

“Ophelia, my name is Albus Dumbledore. I will help you but you have to promise me something.” He started.

Ophelia seized him up before nodding.

“Forget the man you saw today. Forget everything and look forward to a better life. You have to trust me, alright?”

In that moment, Dumbledore’s comforting presence was the only light that she could see in the house. He was the only one there, helping her in her most miserable moment of her life. Dumbledore reached his hand out for her and she grabbed it tightly.

As Dumbledore disapparated with Ophelia, a black kitten with bright green eyes remained by Lillian’s side. That kitten watched Ophelia walk away from his life and he looked down at his paws, disappointed. The little glimpse of happiness he had left just vanished before his eyes.

Dumbledore apparated in a dark alley, encouraging the little girl to walk into the street. He led her to an impressively decorated building called Bread of Life Orphanage. It was intimidating, especially when a woman dressed in a blue and white uniform walked to greet them.

Dumbledore talked for a while with the nurse and the woman peeked once or twice at the child. It was a bad day and Ophelia felt it in her bones; her father was very angry.

After a few more minutes, Dumbledore looked down at her and smiled, though it didn’t reach his eyes.

“Trust me, alright?” He told her again.

The nurse smiled to Ophelia and grabbed her hand, leading her inside the orphanage. Dumbledore remained outside, watching Tom’s heir enter the building. He felt his heart cringe, knowing Ophelia’s life was never going to stray from dark magic. It was all around her, the snake.

Image

Ophelia Gaunt has lived her 7 years of life secluded in her mother’s bubble. Safety would always come first, next secrecy and happiness was last. She always found joy in the smallest things: the wind’s breeze on a fresh morning after raining, flowers blossoming under her watch and the little tricks she could do.

Much like Dumbledore asked, Ophelia avoided thinking of the man that killed her mother and slowly forgot how he looked or sounded.

Unfortunately, peculiar things were happening to her: from time to time, lights would licker in her room or fire would arise from nowhere. It depended a lot on her moods and the way she was treated. The nurses were nice women but very strict while the other children were always messing around. That was how one year passed for Ophelia. Eventless.

Then, during a fieldtrip to Aviemore, something happened.

“I bet you don’t have the courage to enter the forest.” One boy taunted his friend.

“They say it’s haunted. Not even you can enter, Paul.” A slightly shorter and more fragile looking boy combated.

Paul raised an eyebrow and bloated with pride, “My father was an archeologist. He died in an expedition in Egypt. Bravery is a family trait, Marcus.”

The other children whispered to each other, eager to see who will go in the forest. It wasn’t every day such a competition would arise in Bread of Life orphans. In the end, Paul entered Rothiemurchus Forest alone.

The orphans waited fifteen minutes but no sign of Paul. They waited another half an hour yet nothing. The nurses were already gathering the children to go back to Birmingham and Paul was still gone.

Ophelia was worried, especially with her roommates whispering about the worst kind of stories.

“Maybe the ghosts ate him.” Rosaline, the girl owning the bed next to the door, said.

“Or maybe the faeries of the forest. I heard this is their favorite spot in Britain.” Evelyn, the girl owning the bed across Ophelia’s, added.

“Or maybe he got lost.” Ophelia finally said, being more realistic than the others. “We should tell Miss Glenmore about him. She’ll know what to do.”

Marcus came over and grabbed her hand, “Don’t. We’ll get in real trouble and we won’t get dessert anymore.” He said, his widened eyes looking at Ophelia with fear.

“But-“She stopped when Miss Glenmore came over and ushered them towards the car.

They had to get in line in order to get counted. Ophelia knew sooner or later the nurses will notice Paul’s disappearance but what if it was too late by then? She looked at the forest over her shoulder and felt cold air brush her ankles. Scared yet at the same time worried, Ophelia slipped away from the group and ran into the forest.

It was definitely not what she imagined. With all the stories about ghosts and fairies and horror, the forest looked just like any other. Up close, the vegetation was wilder than in other parts but still under human control and the trees were amazingly tall yet not out of ordinary. As she was walking deeper into the forest, she noticed slight changes that weren’t making much sense. The trees looked like they were growing as she was passing them and their trunks were getting larger and darker. Light was dimming and the vegetation seemed to rarefy.  It felt like she was entering a different side of the forest, one that was shifting right in front of her.

She walked over one specific branch and the darkness vanished. It was brighter than normally in Britain and it looked beautiful. Her eyes widened as she spun around, gawping at the perfectly sculptured trees and flowers that were sparkling.

“Pheli? Ophelia! How did you find this place?!” Paul screamed from a few feet towards left.

“I just walked and found myself here.”

Paul’s eyes widened, sparkling with joy and curiosity, “Right?! It’s like a force leads you in here. It’s amazing!”

“But what if it’s the fairies? This looks like a perfect spot for them.” She whispered, her eyes narrowing at everything. “It looks like a place from a fairytale.”

But Paul wasn’t listening. He was explaining everything he found out in that hour he was gone. Now that she thought about it, Ophelia remembered why she got in in the first place.

“We have to go back. Miss Glenmore is probably searching for us right now.”

“I don’t know how. I don’t know which way I came from.” Paul answered simply.

Ophelia looked around and realized she forgot too. She walked back towards the sparkling flowers but there was a tree now, impossible to pass. The forest was so quiet and the sun was so bright that it looked like a painting from the side.

“How do we get back?” She wondered out loud, fear crawling up her spine.

Image

An hour passed and two 8 years old orphans were lost in the forest. Miss Glenmore called the police and the locals paired up in two searching groups. But for some reason, they couldn’t find the orphans. Two hours passed and Paul’s stomach was grumbling so loud that even Ophelia felt hungry. Three hours passed and Ophelia swore she saw something move from the corner of her eye.

The brunette girl got up and went back in front of the sparkling flowers. She crouched in front of them and plucked one off. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously when the bulb coughed pollen on her shirt and fell limp. Paul walked behind her and gasped. The flowers lost their sparkles and closed their petals. A loud scream filled the forest, coming from distance.

“Maybe it’s Miss Glenmore?” Paul asked innocently.

Another scream filled the forest, this time closer than before. The wind picked up and the sunlight dimmed. The two children turned towards a particular tree with a dark red trunk. It trembled right in front of them before another scream filled the air. The two glanced at each other before Paul grabbed Ophelia’s hand and ran the other side.

“Wait! The scream came from-“She stopped, another scream coming from a few feet from them.

Paul froze in fear as he searched for a way out. The trees were blocking the paths and flowers were falling limp while the grass became yellow.

“Maybe there are ghosts and fairies in here.” He mumbled, his face pale and hands shaking.

Searching for the course of the screams, Ophelia noticed something a few feet obliquely to where they were. She took a few steps and moved the branches aside, aware she might come face to face with something dangerous. Ophelia walked into a clearing that looked pretty much dead. The vegetation was dead and the leaves were rotten, giving off a nasty smell.

Another scream filled the air but it was coming from another side completely. She turned around, ready to run back but something appeared in front of her. Something dark, cloaked, deadly. The air around her became so cold that she could see the vapor from her breathing. Looking at the creature, she felt like she was back in Ireland, hearing her mother die. Then it struck her: the scream was very familiar.

“Ophelia!”

Paul’s voice was faint as the creature flied closer to her and opened a mouth that looked like a hole. She felt the pain surface from the corners of her mind and heart and felt her soul being ripped apart. She opened her mouth and screamed as loud as she could but she couldn’t hear anything.

The pain stopped abruptly when something bright entered the clearing and chased the dark creature away. Her savior was unknown. Ophelia fainted, Dumbledore’s words coming into her mind.

“Forget the man you saw today. Forget everything and look forward to a better life.”

Image

Ophelia woke up in the hospital, in Stirling. She was dizzy and couldn’t remember what happened.

“Dear child, you’re fine. Thank God, you scared everyone.” Miss Glenmore started relief all over her face.

“What happened? Where are the others?” Ophelia asked confused.

“Director Blair took them back to Birmingham. This was supposed to be a fun weekend in Scotland, not a searching party.” She spoke firmly yet softened up when she looked at Ophelia’s drowsy eyes. “Paul is fine. He’s a few doors down, resting. You’re lucky that man showed up. He knew exactly where you two were.” Miss Glenmore added, rubbing Ophelia’s forehead fondly.

“What man?”

“I don’t remember his name but he was very helpful. He led the officers to you and left shortly after. Ah, he did say something! He told me to tell you that he’s concerned for your well being. He advised us to keep a close eye on you.” She continued.

Ophelia frowned before leaning back and letting her mind wander. Something happened in the forest but she couldn’t remember what or the reason she fainted.