Sequel: Thick Smoke
Status: Trying

Through Her Eyes

Uncomfortable

Saturday afternoon, Ophelia had tutoring in the Potions classroom with Rabastan Lestrange. She had to be there in time or else she had to memorize twice as much and Rabastan was a man of his word.

Walking down the hall towards the dungeons, she stopped on the stairs, checking her pocket for the note. Spinnard gave it to her yesterday during DADA and then ignored her presence for the rest of the time. Of course, just because he seemed to be in a good mood, everyone hoped he wouldn't give a lot of homework, even none by the most optimistic. Well, he did; lots of it.

But he didn't say another word to her for the rest of the day and even avoided her sight at dinner. Spinnard was very complicated as a human being but that note just raised him to a whole new level.

Shrugging any thoughts aside, Ophelia continued her way towards the dungeons. It was when she stepped down the last stair that she noticed something in the corridor. It was a bit far for her to recognize it but with each step towards the unidentified object, the image became clearer. Ophelia stopped and looked down at the innocent looking kitten fondly.

"So I didn't dream you." She assured herself, smiling at the thought, "Aren't you a curious fellow? From the Gryffindor tower to this place, you must be good with orientation." She added, taking one step closer.

Unfortunately, when she moved so did the kitten but backwards. Ophelia took another step and the kitten's eyes narrowed as if he was ready to defend himself.

"I'm not going to hurt you. It's alright." She spoke softly, assuring the pet that she was inoffensive.

But the black kitten didn't seem to believe any word coming out her mouth. Ophelia stopped and bent so she could be closer to his level. She showed him her hands before she patted her knees for the kitten to lean on them.

It took a few more seconds but the animal complied. With big pretty eyes, the kitten placed his two front paws on her knees and stared up at her.

Ophelia smiled contently until the kitten plunged his nails in her skin. Her eyes widened but not because of the pain inflicted physically.

ImagesĀ spread before her eyes, so scattered that she could hardly understand whose memories were. It was difficult to concentrate but something was pulling her in and keeping her there. Flashes of her mother's face appeared from the times she was at school and even from a few days before she died. Vernon Peverell did not appear in any image but Tom did. She swore she saw the same memory as she saw in Spinnard's mind before she felt a sudden wave of anger.

The images disappeared and she found herself in her childhood house, walking up the stairs. She held the railing, feeling her legs growing tired but continued nonetheless. The pain in her legs grew and her vision became blurry. She couldn't see anything but she heard that chilling voice, only it wasn't speaking to Lillian.

"Love is not for wizards like us, Vernon. Love makes you weak."

Ophelia closed her eyes feeling her orbs stinging. She rubbed them hoping it would cease the pain but she started tearing up.

And then it was over. She opened her eyes and saw that she was by herself in the corridor. Nothing was real but no matter how much she pinched herself, it hurt.

Ophelia continued her way to the classroom,a bit shaken and confused but willing for more occlumency lessons with Cerberus. She didn't notice the black fur ball crouched against the wall a few feet behind her. Those blue eyes watched her as he tried to calm his rapidly beating heart. He could still feel his body shivering slightly. The power that pushed him out of her mind was far greater than he imagined.

Image

From the dungeons, the kitten ran up towards a familiar gargoyle. He only meowed but the statue moved aside letting the small pet continue his journey into the headmaster's office. Dumbledore opened the door for him to enter and walked alongside to his desk.

"Did he reach her subconscious?" Dumbledore asked, waving his hand, the PensieveĀ appearing from behind a wall.

The kitten shook his head and watched as Dumbledore grabbed a hold of the pet's memories before dripping them into the water. Next, he put his head inside and took a long look around them.

It only took a moment for the headmaster to find what he was searching for. It didn't look well from his expression.

Image

"Again."

That was the word Rabastan has been repeating in her ear for the past two hours.

"I won't let you walk out of here if you do not make me a perfect Herbicide Potion."

He was harsh but just like Severus said before, she wouldn't improve otherwise. She needed a push and Rabastan was pushing continuously.

"It's only the first lesson. I'm sure professor Slughorn doesn't expect me to suddenly become good at it." She mumbled adding another ingredient.

"I am not wasting my time tutoring you for professor Slughorn." Rabastan said a bit too loud for how stoic he was. He really didn't move an inch from his seat.

"Then why are tutoring me? Did your older brother instruct you to watch me in case I have the philosopher stone?"

Ophelia didn't think twice when those words just scrambled out of her mouth. When she realized what she said it was already too late and Rabastan already looked offended.

"My brother and I do not meddle in each other's matters. Stir." He ordered, yet still not moving from his seat.

Seeing how his stare was colder than two hours ago, she decided to keep her mouth shut and concentrate on the potion. It didn't work very well because it exploded in her face in the next minute.

Image

Lucius Malfoy was patrolling the dungeons, or what he would have preferred to say showing first years how Slytherins should behave. Of course, being the Prefect he had every right to do whatever he pleased and it seemed that particular Slytherin students liked to roam the halls at night and thus getting late to their first periods.

At the same time, Lucius couldn't help but remember the huge fight he witnessed between his father, Nott's and Mulciber's.

"This is not the philosopher's stone! Are you trying to deceive us, Malfoy?!" Mulciber Senior was far scarier than his son. He yelled as soon as he barged inside the manor, Nott following closely.

"Let's not overreact. I assure you that-"

"Your assurance means nothing, Malfoy. We have discussed this with the Blacks and Lestranges and we agreed that your help is not needed anymore. Your contributions until now will be taken account of but so will this failure." Nott interrupted, his demeanor calmer than Mulciber's but still angry.

As soon as the two left, Malfoy turned to his son with a murderous glint in his eyes. Lucius swallowed nervously, grasping his wand just in case he had to make a run for his life.

"Can you tell me, ]son, why am I embarrassed before so many of our family partners?" He asked in a low tone, taking a step towards Lucius.

"Fa-Father, I apologize-"

The loudness of the next action between father and son echoed throughout the living. Lucius' eyes widened, stunned that his father slapped him so hard even now when it wasn't even his fault. No, it was Sna- no, it was that little girl Molley.


Lucius' chin tensed at the memory of the slap, still feeling his cheek stinging. It was one of the most shameful days of his life and his father has kept a very close eye on him during the summer. It was harsh but he learned a lesson: he will get back what he has lost even if that meant having the whole house bully Molley.

As if fate was giving him a chance at payback, a messed up brunette walked out of the Potions classroom with her hair sticking in every direction and her face covered in smoke. She looked like she had already got some kind of punishment but it wasn't enough.

"Molley, what a pleasure~" He started, strutting towards her, taking his time, "Your attire is not appropriate, 20 points from Gryffindor. Also, you should not be in the dungeons at this hour. Are you planning something?" She was ready to open her mouth and respond but he interfered, "50 points from Gryffindor. Ah~look at the hour. It's past curfew; another 50 points." He added with a content smile.

Ophelia blinked owlishly at the way Gryffindor was losing points without her doing anything. She was only standing in front of him, tired and in need of a bath but Malfoy was taking points continuously.

"You placed me in an uncomfortable position, Molley. My father has been very mad ever since." Lucius started, his eyes narrowing at the short child, "I thought you will be smart enough to return what you have stolen from me. Where is it?"

Ophelia stared at the older student before she answered nonchalantly, "Is that all? Can I leave now?"

She didn't know where she got the courage to reply in that manner but she knew she'd have to avoid Slytherins for a while.