Sequel: Thick Smoke
Status: Trying

Through Her Eyes

Second Year Done

Ever since that night, Malfoy begun to visibly take interest in the second year Gryffindor. He'd glance at her during every dinner and often would study in the library around the same time she did. For most students, Malfoy's behavior was the same but for Slytherins, it was clear that something happened. 

"Have you noticed something different at Malfoy?" Asked the one person no one would guess was so perceptive, "It's like he doesn't even want to come to the dark arts lessons. Lestrange has done most work lately." Nott added, glancing at the blond swiftly. 

"That's because Lestrange has been more active outside school. I heard his father kept a smuggler from going to Azkaban. He killed five muggles when he ran and he's free to continue to do so if they interfere." Mulciber said before he gulped down the rest of his soup. 

"That's not enough to enter the circle of the Dark Lord. I heard he is a pure blooded wizard that murdered more muggles than all the families united. He traveled a lot and learned much more than we do in this good for nothing school." Avery added, looking down the table after his older brother. "I see McGonagall gave him detention again even if he's in his sixth year. My brother's been practicing transfiguration on people lately." He boasted, the others chuckling at what only they believed was funny.

"What about you, Severus? I've seen you less and less with Molley but you still prefer to spend time with the ginger." Mulciber suddenly started, drawing the attention of the whole group on the lanky boy. 

"I've known Lily from childhood." Snape muttered hoping that was enough to keep them entertained.

"I heard you petrified Black last week. I was surprised when I heard, especially because the first year that saw you was a Hufflepuff. Their heads are clogged, I'm telling you." Mulciber continued.

"Maybe we should take a few of them and teach them that they should grow some wit." Avery added, his eyes sparkling evilly. 

That was it. They already decided and even if Snape will tag along or not, they'll still do it and boast about it in the common room. 

Looking over his shoulder at the Gryffindor table, his eyes fell over Lily first, who was laughing with her friends. A few seats from the ginger was Ophelia, talking to Remus Lupin as if last week never happened. Now that his eyes were returning to the Slytherin table, he noticed Malfoy talking to Narcissa Black. He seemed to enjoy himself for someone who's been so tense lately.

But once Malfoy was out of Hogwarts, how will the secrecy continue? And what if someone from Gryffindor finds out the truth? There were just so many uncertainties. 

Image

"You've been very active this week, haven't you? I guess all that time spent in the library meant something. It's already april." Potter started,looking at Ophelia with a sparkle in his eyes, "There's going to be a game next Saturday. I'll count you in, badge."

"Count me in what?" She asked, not understanding this strange boy.

"My fans of course. You'll be there, Sirius will, Peter, Remus, Evans will also be there," he added, knowing she won't deny it.

"Not for you but for the team." Lily said quickly.

"Potato patato." 

"What?" Molley asked again, stunned by Potter's vocabulary.

"In moments like these, you really show your rich heritage Molley."

"He means it's the same thing." Remus explained, making Potter roll his eyes.

"Then why didn't he say so?" She muttered before taking a spoon-full from her pudding. 

"Anyway, you'll see me playing Seeker, winning against Slytherins for the first time in two years. It will be epic." 

"I'm sure they will engrave your name on a medal or something." Cissney mumbled sarcastically but it didn't seem like Potter acknowledged the right meaning. 

But then Saturday came around and Gryffindors had a lot of homework to finish before the game later in the afternoon. Potter was fighting against a deadline for his Defense against the Dark Arts homework and Spinnard was very clear when he ordered Potter to finish it or else he won't play. That only enraged Wood.

"If you don't finish it in time, the team is doomed. I hope you listen to me, Potter. If we don't play and win, I'll make sure to make you an outcast." Wood hissed in the back of Potter's head.

"That's a bit much, even for you Charlie." Fabian Prewett tried to calm his captain but Wood was stiff like a rock.

Seeing how everyone was placing so much pressure on him, Potter tried his best to write three pages out of five. The clock was ticking loudly in the common room so Ophelia decided she just might interfere. Someone else moved faster than her.

"I'll finish it and give it to Spinnard for you so just go get ready." Remus mumbled, knowing how important the match was for his friends. 

"That's cheating. Professor Spinnard will notice the differences." Lily pitched in, being realistic.

Ophelia smirked when she remembered she could enter other people's minds. Cerberus was a genius for showing her how to sneak in and alter memories.

"Sounds like a plan to me." She announced, her glistening green eyes sending the right message to Remus. 

Image

"So, you enter and leave it on the desk. It doesn't matter if he sees you because I can alter his memory and change your face to Potter's." 

That was the plan but Spinnard was one of the best legillimens out there and entering his mind alone was tricky. Well, it worth a chance.

Once the door to his office opened, Ophelia stuck her head inside and looked for the familiar dark haired man. 

"It's clear. You can enter." She said, opening the door wider for Remus. 

He literally tip toed to the desk, left the parchment and tip toed back to Ophelia. They both sighed, thinking that she may not need to act at all if Spinnard wasn't there in the first place. 

"And what are you two doing in front of my door?" 

Of course, his timing was always perfect. He looked down at his students, expecting an answer but someone else interfered.

"We've got bigger problems at the moment." 

Ophelia sighed in relief when Cerberus walked right behind the dark professor and placed a hand on his shoulder, squeezing lightly just for the blue eyed man to take the hint.

"Very well," Spinnard mumbled, his eyes narrowing as the two children passed him, "Inform Potter to come right after the match ends in order to get his punishment." 

Remus' eyes widened but at least they could still play. Cerberus winked at the girl and literally shoved Spinnard inside his office. 

"Who was that? He didn't look like a student." Remus asked once they got far enough from the room.

"A-" The first instinct was to lie and say he was some visitor but then, there was no reason to lie. "He is the family friend I stayed with on Christmas. He and Spinnard are old friends." 

"But I thought your parents are muggles."

"My adoptive parents are, yes. But my real parents were purebloods. Spinnard and Cerberus went to school with my dad." She just said everything knowing it won't affect the smart boy. 

They were in the entrance hall when Pettigrew ran towards them, huffing and puffing.

"Where have you been?! The game's about to start!" He yelled before he led the way to the Quidditch grounds.

Image

"Hello and welcome to the last semifinal before the big game next month! I am Zachary Prickle and I will be your host today! It seems that both Slytherins and Gryffindors have been studying new techniques this term so let's hope no one dies!" 

Ophelia raised an eyebrow as she heard that commentary. She wasn't the only one as McGonagall glared at the fourth year. 

"Madame Hooch entered the field! Aand the game is on! Extraordinary quick is this man, I'm of course talking about Gryffindor's captain, Charlie Wood. Slytherin's not below as we see Beaters Gregory and Marcus Springler approaching the Gryffindor circles. Oh but look who's on the pitch, ladies and gentlemen!" 

Just as Zachary commented, Potter flew right past them, winking at the audience. 

"James Potter plays his first match as the team's Seeker. It looks rather troubling for Rabastan Lestrange who has been the best Seeker Slytherin has had. Well, let's see how these two will do against each other." 

"I never knew Rabastan plays Quidditch." Lily whispered to the girls.

"He never spoke about his life. I never knew he'd date a muggle born either, not with his lineage." Ophelia answered, the girls nodding along.

Surprisingly, Gryffindors actually won and they did so by ingeniously protecting their best shot: Potter. Being small and quick proved to be an advantage against Rabastan's bulkier body. Potter caught the golden snitch and kept it close until he entered the castle.

The common room that night was loud, and that adjective was not even covering the real image. Alcohol might have been smuggled in by the Prewett brothers and someone might have placed a charm over the tower so they could party all night without having anyone interfere. 

"Spinnard wanted you to go over after the game." Ophelia informed Potter sometime around midnight.

"Ha, right. Have you seen me today? I was bloody brilliant!" Potter yelled, drawing Wood's attention.

"I've got to say Potter, I wasn't expecting this result. Rabastan is usually a beast on field and even Gideon had troubles before." Wood started, one hand around his newest Seeker and one around a glass of fire whisky. 

"He must have had a bad day." Fabian Prewett added, laughing in joy with his team mates. 

But that win could not be passed easily by Potter. He took care to emphasize on it every chance he got, especially in front of Slytherins. 

A week passed and while everyone was thinking about the upcoming exams, Potter and Black were goofying around. One of Black's paper birds flew past Ophelia before it fell on her plate. She didn't have to open it in order to know what it meant.

"Oi, Potter,shut it already! We all know you bribed your way in and cheated during the game, no need to remind us every day." Nott growled at the glasses boy. 

Potter stopped whatever he was doing and turned to the dark haired Slytherin. Nott was dark from every aspect, just like Mulciber. Avery was the only one that looked brighter because of his hair color. 

"I don't remember telling you anything, Nott. Are we on speaking terms and I forgot?" Potter snarled at the Slytherin, gaining his friends' enjoyment.

"You will get nowhere with this attitude. Let me remind you how pathetic you are for disgracing your status by standing with these people." 

It came out as he wanted, making everyone in close vicinity feel angry at his spiteful tone. Sirius was probably the most offended since he had his own terrible relationship with the Slytherins. 

"Are you brave enough to say that again? This time, do it to my face, like the prick you are." Black stood up and walked next to James, both glaring at the group of Slytherins. "Not so chatty now, are you Nott?" 

"You-" Mulciber had enough and growled before he pointed his wand at Potter. "You talk big as if nothing can touch you but what if-" He stopped and moved his wand on Peter, whose eyes widened, "-we change our technique? What was your name again? It doesn't matter. Not like anyone will remember it anyway." 

Mulciber was wicked enough to curse Pettigrew but the whole matter was interrupted by the lanky Prefect. He glowered at the Gryffindors before he noted that Ophelia was there, watching everything intensely. Her green eyes were set on Mulciber and from the looks of it, she might even curse him as they speak. 

"Relax, Mulciber. Don't waste your time on weaklings. Let's go." Malfoy walked right through the middle, more or less forcing the three students to move on. 

"Are you alright, Peter?" Lily asked as soon as the crowd dispersed. The boys didn't even notice the audience that formed around them.

"They will pay, don't worry. We have time ahead to make them miserable." Sirius tried to comfort everyone.

They did have time but not during the next month. With Quidditch practices in the morning, classes during the day and homework during afternoons, Potter could barely do anything else. 

On the other side, Mulciber found it vital to begin tormenting Gryffindors once again. His main victim was Pettigrew and so Gryffindors decided they should fight back if it gets too much. 

Image

In a different part of the castle, having his own troubles, was the man that swore to protect the child of the Dark Lord. 

"What will you do? Will you really murder once again for him?" Cerberus asked his former colleague, his eyes serious compared to his usual behavior. "And what about Ophelia? She's just a child."

"I'll do what I have to do." Spinnard spoke in a cold tone, his eyes not giving any hint of what he was really thinking of. 

Cerberus watched Luce walk out the room and looked down at his feet. He'd have to report it to Dumbledore, be it good or bad news. 

Image

Up in the Astronomy Tower begun everything. When Vernon called Luce up there to study together, when he appraised Luce's talents and now he was there again, embracing himself for what he will have to do next. 

Vernon Peverell was one of the brightest and most sincere wizards Luce had ever met. The ginger could see beauty in everything and easily saw through Spinnard's mask. His disappearance troubled the whole wizarding community, fact that won't happen if a poor Ravenclaw dies. 

"You should leave. I have no plan to murder my best friend." Luce spoke, deciding to avoid looking into those deep blue eyes. "I'll take responsibility for my decisions, so it's fine. If you ever return to your real form, visit me." He finished, closing his eyes and disapparating.

The place that Spinnard apparated in was Ophelia's house. It was so silent, abnormally so. Stepping closer to the front door, Luce heard the sound of a muggle gun. 

"Who are you?! Leave us alone!" 

Spinnard heard two more gun shots before he heard his voice. It was just like he remembered, chilling and breathy. 

"My daughter will not be staying with simple minded muggles. I have to recognize you have done a good job raising her for the little time you had but it stops now." Tom hissed, though he didn't seem necessary angry. 

One swift flick of his wrist and the muggle was dead just like his wife, but someone else walked in, someone holding a wand.

"I suppose you have finished your mission successfully?" Tom asked, glancing at Spinnard expectantly. "Or have you let your emotions interfere?" 

"I'm not going to murder my best friend. Besides, I'm not going to let you transform Ophelia into a replacement for your cousin."

Tom took his time staring at Luce, watching the blue eyed professor walk closer. He was tense and scared, even though he was covering it well. Luce Spinnard had so much potential but he was being pulled back by a memory.

"How disappointing," Tom spoke in the same tone he used on Vernon. 

Green light engulfed the room and one ray stroke Spinnard straight in his chest. Everything happened so fast and so sudden. Tom killed the muggle officer and sighed. Spinnard was the best legilimens in Europe and he never even used his powers for himself. No, he used them for his best friend; he sacrificed for his best friend but at least he did something helpful: Luce was so blinded by his hatred for Lillian that he unconsciously brought Tom closer to Ophelia.

Among the broken decorations in the room was a picture. Tom stepped over the mess and carefully took it out of the broken frame. 

"Just a few more weeks and we will be reunited."