Sequel: Thick Smoke
Status: Trying

Through Her Eyes

Changes

With exams done, rather well from what it seemed on everyone's faces, the only activity left was the grand Quidditch final between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor. Of course, now that they had time, Wood did nothing but threat everyone while Potter mimicked him from behind.

"This is my chance to win the Quidditch house cup and no matter how fond I am of all of you, I will murder you if you do not respect the formation." Wood hissed at his team before the game. "You have the chance to further prove yourself, Potter. If you win us this game, you're welcome to replace Gideon next year." 

At the sound of the sentence he has been dying to hear ever since he entered Hogwarts, Potter's eyes brighetened and self confidence flew through his veins up to his head. That was a chance that he won't miss.

And he didn't. Gryffindors won, even though not spectacularly. Hufflepuffs have been changing their team quite often because of Mulciber and his lot and that affected their team work. 

"You shouldn't be so happy, Potter. It was an easy win. Even I could have catched the golden snitch against that first year." Cissney started during the last dinner of the term. 

"Don't ruin the mood, Littlewood." James mumbled grumpily. He, too, didn't feel the thrill of winning so easily. "Don't tell Wood about it. He's gloating." 

Turning towards the captain, everyone saw him smiling so brightly with his friends that it was indeed a bit pitiful to smash his dreams into tiny pieces. 

"Well, hope next year will be more challenging." Cissney assured the boy, even though from her point of view it wasn't an encouragement.

"By the way, doesn't the atmosphere seem a bit odd? I mean look at Dumbledore and the others." Lily asked, having everyone around her turn towards the staff table. 

"That's curious. I thought at least professor McGonagall will be content with the recent event." Sirius added, narrowing his eyes at his head of the house. That didn't seem to mind him for long because he was the first to dive into his dessert. 

"Anyway, from what I know, before the third year begins, we have to choose new subjects. There's not many that sound appealing but I thought we could all take Muggle Studies and Care of Magical Creatures together." Alice started, changing the subject completely while looking at her dorm mates with hopeful eyes. 

Lily seemed to ponder on the idea while Cissney nodded without giving it much thought. That let Ophelia with a huge question mark above her head.

"Is that all there is?" She asked, already giving out the answer. "I mean, we shouldn't rush our decisions. I don't think I want to study my parents in a very detailed way." 

"There's more. You can choose before you leave for the break or you can send an owl later in the month." Remus assured Ophelia, understanding her need to think it through.

Image

That night was incredibly loud, mostly because of Potter and Black and the enthusiastic Arthur Weasley who was telling Frank Longbottom about all these strange muggle facts he found in a magazine.

Ophelia listened for a while, amusing herself with Arthur's theories and Zachary's side commentaries. But an hour into it and she noticed her red haired friend was not in the common room anymore.

"I believe Snape came over to speak to her. They probably have plans for the summer since they live so close to each other." Cissney explained.

Ophelia's expression was really easy to read and she was not content. Having told Severus so much already it was really a pity that their friendship was limited to their muggle friend and their common interests. 

With that thought in mind, she walked out the common room and unconsciouly went into the dungeon. It was still early and there were chances she'd meet a Slytherin but it didn't matter. 

"Ophelia," 

She did not expect Malfoy to call her by her name. It was so sudden that she didn't even reply. Instead, she looked up into his eyes and waited for him to continue. 

"During summer I will send you the spells and curses you will need for next year's dark arts lessons." He spoke, his personal tone never wavering yet there was a tinge of respect that didn't exist before.

"Unlike you, I don't accept help so easily from someone who sways as the wind blows." She stated coldly, offending his pride.

"Then maybe you should ask one of your house mates. I'm sure the Prewett brothers would be delighted."

He was being sarcastic and the twitching eyebrow did not go unnoticed by the young girl. She was being witty and he already knew she had a bad mouth but it was impossible to harm her in any way now. 

"You will be announced." He said before he walked past her.

Done with the Prefect, Ophelia walked to Spinnard's office. Thinking about him she got a chill down her spine as if he was bad mouthing her at the moment. But once she arrived there, the person inside his office was not tall with blue eyes and dark hair. 

"Headmaster? What are you doing here?" 

Dumbledore turned to face her with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. Having a quick eye, she noticed the elder man subtly taking something off Spinnard's desk. 

"I'm afraid I have bad news. You see, there's been a commotion," 

"Wait, Dumbledore, let me give her the news." Cerberus barged in, interrupting. 

Dumbledore nodded and walked out. Passing by Ophelia, he gave her one last sorrowful smile before closing the door behind him.

"What happened?" She asked Cerberus, seemingly braver and with more attitude.

The owl man sighed and paced a bit in front of the desk before he turned to her. She was so young and everything was happening too fast, even for him.

"Luce is dead." 

"Excuse me?" She asked, taking a step forward. 

"I'm sorry too, believe me I am very sorry. It wasn't supposed to happen, he was supposed to go with the plan and-" he stopped and looked down at his hands. "I'm sorry."

"He hated me and made my life at school impossible. What makes you think that I will mourn him?" She asked, surprising the owl man.

He looked up at her and saw her eyes narrowing slightly. It might not have meant much but it seemed like she was trying to fight the regret she felt. Cerberus sighed and walked towards her, ruffling her hair when he finally reached the kid. 

"He protected you. He might have done it for Peverell but at the end of the day, I think he understood you're not Lillian. You didn't steal his best friend and didn't endanger anyone."

"So then what am I now? A victim? It seems like everyone acts according to their interests. Malfoy suddenly believes we're friends while my friend only sees me as a link. Spinnard saw me as a little Lillian and you? What do you see me as?"

"As a little Gryffindor, talented in practical magic rather than theoretical. I understand if you won't mourn him but remember him as a man who never intended to hurt you. Remember him as a friend." Cerberus continued softly.

"Fine. Well, I don't really have any business here now so I'll just go..."

"I'm sorry, Ophelia." Cerberus muttered when she turned her back to him. The girl heard but didn't understand why he sounded so regretful. 

Image

The whole train ride next day felt empty for some reason. She had Willy next to her and did her best to find a compartment and stay by herself. There were a lot of things to consider now that Spinnard was gone. He was an amazing wizard and he could have been an amazing professor but he disliked children and everything involving social skills. 

But at the same time, those cold blue eyes were imprinted in her mind and his face during Christmas was infuriating. It was annoying how even dead Spinnard could arise this confusion in her.

The door to her compartment slid open and a familiar greasy haired boy walked in, looking sorrowful. He sat next to her and didn't say a word, knowing there was no need with her.

By the time the train arrived in London, Severus was sleeping peacefully and woke up when they blew the horn. He looked around groggily, wiping his drool off before he noticed Willy watching him. Ophelia was nowhere to be seen until he turned towards the door.

"We've arrived in London." She announced before she grabbed her owl and left. 

The brunette witch was searching for her parents, curious if they were mad that she spent the breaks away from them once again. Gloria's tall and lean figure was not there and neither was Richard's stiff face. Her colleagues were happy to meet their families but Ophelia had no one waiting for her. 

"What's wrong?" Severus asked when he got off. "Aren't your parents here already?" 

"It feels strange," she mumbled, still searching for her parents amongst the crowd.

"Maybe they're late." The boy assured her but Ophelia could feel it wasn't just that.

Takig a few steps into the crowd, she realized that most of the sounds were slowly fading away or were drawn out into the background. With every step taken she could feel her hear beat quicken and she wasn't sure of anything she was seeing around. Maybe it was all a dream and they were still in the train, or maybe Potter was messing around with spells he couldn't control. Or maybe-

"Oh," she muttered when she stepped over someone's very elegant shoes, "I'm so-" she looked up and her eyes widened at the figure.

"Ophelia?" She could hear Severus yell after her but it was hard to see exactly who she met with all the kids and their parents. "Ophelia?!" 

But nothing could reach her. He smiled slyly and patted her head in what was definitely not a kind gesture.

"There have been some changes in your placement. I'll be taking care of you from now on." 

He was her father but the hair rose on her back at the new plan.

Unlike what she expected, her father was not the type to meddle with others thus he touched her and apparated to a house far from Birmingham.

At a closer inspection, those trees looked very familiar. Once they walked out of the thick forest she noticed why it seemed like the place itself was so comfortable for her.

"This is Spinnard's cottage. Why are we here?" She asked her father.

"You will live here. When I call you, I want you to come to me. I will teach you everything you need to know and more but you cannot stay with me for long. At least not yet." He answered in such a calm tone that it sounded like he was being under a spell.

Of course, when his eyes landed on her it was obvious he was himself. But it was also visible how his face did not resemble the one she met when she was younger. While he used to have blue eyes that could mesmerize anyone he'd lay them on and features that could charm any woman, now all those were different. He was still handsome and charming but not in the same way; it was difficult to explain exactly but everything about him was fearful.

"Why can't I return to Birmingham?" Ophelia asked looking up into his eyes. "What about the Molleys?" 

"I thought you wanted to be with your real family." 

She did but it was so fast and sudden and she wanted to at least say goodbye to the people that acted like her parents for the last few years. 

"I just- well," she didn't know what to say, especially with his eyes staring at her so intensely. "Will I live here by myself?" 

"No. I arranged everything." 

He wasn't a man of many details or not with her, at least. Sensing that his daughter was questioning his motives, Tom patted her head trying to do it as fondly as he could. Ophelia's immediate reaction was to smile and that was enough for him to know her doubts vanished. 

"Ophelia?! What-what are you doing here?!" 

One moment she shifted her attention on the man that just arrived and one moment was enough for her father to disapparate.

"Anyway, get in. I have news to give you, both good and bad." Cerberus mumbled, urging her to enter the cottage as fast as possible.