Sequel: Thick Smoke
Status: Trying

Through Her Eyes

The Beginning of Their Torment

After that lovely chat between the adults, Idris left and so did Dumbledore. A few days later, Mr. Potter announced they will return home as well, which didn't get a reaction from his son. Ophelia had many questions and James had new curiosities but both were asking themselves the same thing: will Idris show up on September 1st or not? That was the main subject for the rest of the summer break and James wrote so many letters to Ophelia, more than any of them would have imagined a few months ago. Most of them were about Idris and his condition but quite a lot were also about dueling and Quidditch and random muggle stuff that James would mail to her. Having Willy deliver her letters in time was an achievement, although he did lose some of them. 

"Are you ready?" Cerberus asked, helping Ophelia pack for another school year. 

"It's my fourth year. I can manage."

"You won't say that in your sixth and seventh years. I assure you about it; I've been there, done that."

"Were you even good in school or was it just Quidditch that you were famous for?" she asked, half joking and half asking seriously.

"I taught you well last year, haven't I? I was quite good but children are so tiresome." the owl man answered, rubbing his temples only at the memory.

"That's because you chose to teach Occlumency too."

"I didn't choose to do it. I was paid to do it. There's a huge difference."

"I hope I won't become someone like you in the future," she mumbled before she took her trunk and walked towards the stairs.

"I hope you do, actually." Cerberus muttered to himself, watching her like an older brother rather than a fatherly figure.

As soon as they arrived at King's Cross, Cerberus gave Ophelia a tight hug and kissed her cheeks as if she was a first year. He was acting up which confused the poor girl. 

"See you soon, darling!" he exclaimed louder than she felt necessary. "I will miss you dearly. Write me all the time but don't send the letters with Willy."  

"Why are you embarrassing me?" 

"Does it work?" He asked which got him a glare in return, "I had always imagined how I'd react when my child left for Hogwarts. I saw a lot of examples but embarrassing your child is the best." 

"You're evil." 

"Oh look, there's Potter!" 

Without a second thought Ophelia turned her head to look for the boy yet there was no one. She sighed, realizing what Cerberus did. He was as old as her father -whatever that age was- and still he acted like a child.

"Ophelia!" her name was called not even five minutes afterwards.

She barely got her trunk and cage on the train when a wide eyed and very excited Severus Snape ran to her. 

"You won't believe what happened this summer!" 

That was going to take a while.

Image

"So, as we were walking down to her house, because I had to be a gentleman and take her home, I saw this shadow, it was definitely a man with a bowler hat on, and he followed us for a while until he vanished for no apparent reason. After I left Lily, I went home and guess who was waiting for me on the doorstep?" He didn't let her guess because he was too excited to have her say the wrong answer, "Rodolphus Lestrange was there with Evan Rosier!" He whispered, trying to limit his excitement to the glint in his eyes.

Ophelia frowned, seeing no real reason to be happy.

"What did they want to talk about?" She asked calmly.

"They gave me something. Here," he took something from his pocket, something that looked very much like a diamond. "It seems this little thing is an Enlightener; an object that gives you answers."

"Like a cheating object?"

"No, I believe it is not for exams but it's still very useful!"

"Right. As useful as a Rememberall, if you ask me. What, if you ask this little round diamond what his purpose is, it'll answer?" Ophelia asked sarcastically, not awaiting anything to happen. But Severus glanced at it curiously, expectantly even, just to prove his friend that Lestrange and Rosier gave him something important. Nothing happened.

"They gave it to me for a reason, even told me to keep an eye out for Dementors."Severus said, assured that he finally received a chance to get closer at becoming a Death Eater. 

Ophelia's eyes widened as she remembered how James described the darkness lurking in front of their front yard. Was that part of Idris' Obscurus or was it just him messing around? So many questions and it seemed her father had his own plans for this new year.  

The train ride was longer than usually and it was all because Severus had so many plans for the new year. It seemed he wanted to do a lot and yet when coming to the core of it, nothing. Yet the thing he craved the most was becoming a worthy Slytherin, whatever that meant. 

"I hope our training as Death Eaters will continue with a new trainer, maybe Rosier. Malfoy and Lestrange graduated, to your exaltation." the boy kept silent for a few minutes before he asked away his curiosities, "Have you met your father this summer?"

"No, surprisingly. It's been silent and it's troublesome. I witnessed a man die in front of my eyes at Christmas and now it feels like he's given me time to grow after that experience." she sighed and looked down at her ring, "I'm very curious, Sev. My father is such an alluring person and everything he does is planned in the utmost detail. I'm curious what drove him to become the Dark Lord and why he chose mum."

"So you're finally ending your mother's past and begin your father's? Won't he be angry about it?" 

"He's secretive, yes, but he wants me close and for that he must give me the truth. Besides, I've got you, haven't I? You'll help me." she said, turning with a suspicious smile at her friend. Severus rolled his eyes but gave in nonetheless. He was curious too. 

As soon as they arrived at Hogsmeade, Severus ran to his Slytherin mates, the same old nasty gang while Ophelia met Cissney. She was walking ahead for some reason, her eyes searching for somebody in the crowd of students. A few steps behind were Lily and Alice, both talking animatedly about something. When they saw the green eyed witch, they hurried to her and hugged each other tightly. 

"It's so nice to be reunited! We were looking for you in the train, hoping Potter didn't grab a hold of you yet." Alice said, not entirely joking. 

"What about Cissney? She seems to be searching for somebody else,"

Lily and Alice shook their heads at each other before they each wrapped an arm around Ophelia's and started to walk towards the carriages. 

"There's so much to tell." Lily said.

Image

Hogwarts did not change much, if at all in the time they spent away from it. It was just as grand and beautiful as always, and as slippery it seemed because it had rained a day before. But everything was the same: the paintings, Peeves, the other ghosts and of course students. She couldn't help but search for the young Black yet couldn't find him anywhere. Instead, she heard his older brother from afar, laughing with his friends. Zabini passed by with Evan Rosier and his sister, the girl looking at him the same way Cissney did. And then came the Gryffindor girl, pouting at the sight.

"A lot can change in a year." Mumbled Lily in encouragement but Ophelia and Alice glanced at each other with worry.

"If only he wasn't a Slytherin..." Alice whispered to her green eyed friend, both thinking at the worst case scenario.

But once inside the Great Hall, it seemed like the spirits were lifted. They found their colleagues really fast thanks to obvious reasons and while the girls tried to stay as close to each other as possible, Ophelia was pulled between James and Remus, with Pettigrew and Sirius standing across them.

"D'you think he'll come?" he asked before even saying hello. 

The close bond that formed between the two, as surprising and still interesting to watch, became part of their lives. Nobody asked questions when he literally forced her to sit next to him, not even Sirius but that did not mean they were not listening in.

"Who to come?" asked Longbottom from his seat next to Remus.

"Dumbledore..." the glasses boy said slowly, his mind working for an answer as he spoke. It didn't sound convincing at all.

"A new professor of DADA. Knowingall gave up on ever teaching children again." Ophelia gave out the truth in a way that was still vague.

"Right, he left. Does that mean we'll have a third professor? That's going to be harsh." 

"True. We may not move forward in our studies." added Remus, feeling disappointed because he truly liked Knowingall. 

"Harsh for him, I mean. Students will be savages from the first course if he doesn't impose respect." Cissney continued, half of her attention on their discussion and half on Zabini. "When did Rosier become such good pals with Zabini?"

"Want me to ask Rabastan?" Ophelia taunted the girl, knowing Cissney's answer already. Actually, now that she was taking a better look at her dorm mate, she seemed to have put more effort in her looks and she dyed her hair in a color that looked like eggnog. "Aren't you trying a bit much for a Slytherin?"

"It doesn't matter what house he is in as long as he's a decent human being."

"A quality of Slytherins through and through." commented Black from the side, rolling his eyes at the way female brain works. "I'd say you should get yourself a new crush. He will never turn his head and look over this table anytime soon."

"He just did," mumbled Ophelia, being the first one that glanced at the Slytherin table over her shoulder. Black rose an eyebrow curiously and the whole group turned very bluntly to look at Zabini and his friends. The boy seemed confused and turned to his mate, talking quietly about something or another. 

"Maybe you should lay low for a few days. This might have scared him off." Lily said, herself frowning at what she just advised her friend. But indeed, Zabini looked taken aback by the sudden interest they have taken in him. 

With that, Dumbledore entered the Hall and smiled his usually welcoming smile, his eyes not lagging over any table just in case that would provoke rumors. And there were going to be rumors this year, Dumbledore knew what he was about to do. 

But first came the newcomers, all getting sorted to their houses. And then came the feast, Cissney cowering behind her juice so as not to be seen by any Slytherin. James was laughing with Pettigrew and Remus was talking with Lily about the upcoming classes which left Black staring into Ophelia's green eyes thoughtfully. 

"What's my brother doing right now, do you know?" he asked, his eyes glancing for a second at Regulus.

"He's eating?" she asked not turning to check.

"He told me he wants to enter the Quidditch team this year and that he'd like to get further knowledge in Potions." the boy added, his voice hoarser than the last time she heard him speak so seriously.

"So?"

"A sudden change, isn't it?"

"He's probably sick of having you follow him around and get bullied for being in the same family. He's growing up and you should follow his example." she said in a tone that sounded more polite than casual. It felt as if Sirius was not a friend but just a random somebody that she met a few hours ago.  

Sirius didn't say anything but he did lean on his hand, his piercing dark eyes staring at the girl with a mix of emotions.

Just as he was about to ask her something else, Dumbledore rose with a suspicious twinkle in his eyes. He looked at his students before he particularly moved his attention on the Gryffindor table. James nudged Ophelia a bit too hard and she dropped her beautiful and tasty dessert on her lap. Dumbledore smiled bemusedly when he noticed her childish glare at her friend before she made him choke on his muffin. 

"I am glad to see that everyone is having such a nice time and I am sure this atmosphere will continue in the classrooms as well!" he started, his voice resonating through the walls. Students chuckled or groaned, depending on how they were evolving at school. "As most of you know already, professor Knowingall has decided to retire from his position at Hogwarts, leaving us without a professor of Defense against the Dark Arts and Oclumency. Fortunately, there is somebody that I asked to fill in that position, at least for this year. He is not here, not yet." the headmaster said in a sour tone, "But he will welcome you all during your first lesson. Now, with that said, everything else is the same, rules included. Good luck this year and I bid you goodnight!" Dumbledore said with a warm smile before he retreated.

"He didn't arrive yet? What kind of professor is the one we haven't even seen yet?" asked a random Hufflepuff, curious what Dumbledore spoke about.

"He's probably really old and ugly and hates crowds." a Ravenclaw added, all walking close to each other.

" I just hope he won't become a second Binns. I can barely keep my eyes open in his classes." said Goldstein, the radiant blond who, in Ophelia's view, seemed to have grown taller and broader. "Oh, Molley! Guess we won't see each other in Occlumency anymore."

"Why? Won't this new professor teach us Legilimency this year? I was hoping I could finally see what's in your mind." she lied since she could already do that, thanks to Spinnard and Cerberus. 

"Dumbledore only mentioned DADA, though." answered Goldstein, his bright face looking slightly sullen.

"I don't think thatman could teach two subjects. He would implode before you enter his classroom." mumbled Potter, "Let's hope he'll leave an impression on Slytherins. I can't wait to see how he will react with a lot like Mulciber's."

Indeed, they had a lot to be looking forward to.