Status: Updated every few days

In This Wondrous Place

Chapter Five

Image (Grace)

I’m not entirely sure who I was expecting at the door, but the moment the two of them stepped inside the house, I was at a loss for words. I certainly didn’t expect it to be anyone too famous, but when Chris told me that I would recognize them, I have to admit that my mind didn’t consider this possibility.

In walked two men. One of them in a white button-up and the other in a fitted leather jacket. I couldn’t help but notice how casual they looked compared to the photos I’ve seen. It made them look like just a couple of guys dropping by to hangout instead of who I knew they were: Kit Harington and Liam Hemsworth.

Grace had rounded a corner from the living room, shoving a handful of popcorn into her mouth, when she noticed the new guests. Like a deer in headlights she looked at them, completely stunned and wide-eyed. Through her food-filled mouth, she attempted to say something, although it was incredibly muffled.

“What was that, Grace?” I couldn’t hide my amused look as I watched her forcefully swallow the popcorn and open her mouth once more.

“Snow. Jon Snow.” She laughed, “Well, I’ll be damned.”

I don’t think her eyes could get any wider than they were in that moment.

Chris brushed past me and greeted his brother and friend with the typical handshake hug that men so often do with one another. It always looks uncomfortable to me, but to each their own.

“You two want a beer?”

Kit was the first to respond. His thick British accent melted each word out of his mouth. It was delightful to listen to.

“Please, if that’s not too much trouble.”

Liam nodded as well and each of them grabbed the Coronas I held out in my hands. They then made their way to the living room and started up a conversation with the still dumbfounded Grace and with Lucas, who was eyeing them suspiciously.

“So, about that dinner…” Chris crossed his arms and leaned against the granite countertop. He smirked in a way that nearly reduced me to a puddle.

“It’s not a good time right now, honestly…” The words were difficult to speak, even though I knew them to be true. I didn’t just want to turn him down, though, I wanted him to know why.

“My father passed away recently. It’s why my family and friends are spending the week here.” I shifted my eyes downward and gazed at the tile flooring.

“I completely understand. I’m a pretty awesome friend, too, if I do say so myself.” Chris playfully nudged my arm, causing me to look up and meet his deep blue eyes. I was grateful that he didn’t press me for answers or to go out with him. His understanding was yet another attractive quality about him.

We each took our seats in front of the television as Lucas fumbled around with the DVD player. Kit and Liam sat on the floor behind the coffee table, using pillows to arrange makeshift seats. I sat on the couch between Chris and Grace, who were talking animatedly about Game of Thrones. Kit interjected several times to throw in his two cents, much to Grace’s enjoyment. Once Lucas finished tinkering with the DVD player, he also sat back on some pillows and then pushed a button on the remote.

I shimmied myself farther into the sofa and curled up under my blanket. As the opening scene for Dawn of the Dead began to play, I noticed Chris shift slightly as well and I could feel the heat coming off of his body from his new position. Our shoulders weren’t touching, but they were certainly close enough.

At one point during the film, Grace shrieked and practically fell out of her seat.

“Can’t handle a few zombies?” Kit joked, picking her blanket up off of the floor for her.

“Well, of course you aren’t scared, Jon Snow practically is one!” She nudged him over with her foot and laughed when he nearly spilled his beer.

I took the opportunity to get up and stretch my legs by grabbing another drink. The kitchen was dark, so there were several instances where I nearly stubbed my toe, but I managed to make it to the fridge unscathed.

“Anyone want anything while I’m up?”

Liam raised his hand.

“A Heineken for me!”

I nodded and plucked a water and Heineken from the fridge. I made a mental note to buy more of each the next day since we were running low.

The movie ended with Kit sleeping on Grace’s leg, Grace snoring with her head tilted all the way back on the couch, Liam half way to drunk, Chris yawning and rubbing at his eyes, and Lucas annoyed at the lot of us.

“I suppose no one’s up for a round two.” I laughed and elbowed Grace awake. She groaned and shifted her legs, causing Kit to stir awake as well.

“I think we should probably head back to the condo.” Chris stood up from the couch and stretched his arms up. His shirt rose just above his pants line and revealed rippling abs and v-shaped hips. He must’ve caught me looking because as I glanced up to make eye contact he smirked and winked. I sheepishly turned my eyes away and focused on grabbing the empty beer bottles on the coffee table in front of me.

The bottles dropped into the trash with a loud ‘plink’, making me regret not trying to be more quiet. I closed the lid of the can and met the guys at the door to see them out.

“Thank you for coming.” I reached up to wrap my arms around Chris’ neck, hugging him to me. He placed his arms around my waist and embraced me as well. I went to his brother and Kit and did the same to them, but their hugs were not quite as nice as his. I then ruffled Kit’s hair before letting Grace cut in and say goodbye. Lucas, however, settled for a distanced handshake and a nod for all three of the men.

They waved goodbye and stepped down from the front porch. Liam somewhat stumbled down, but made it to the car all the same. I closed the door and locked it behind them, turning to my exhausted looking friends.

“Need anything for the couch, Luke?”

He shook his head.

“No, I already have a pillow and blanket. I’m a simple man, Em.”

I said a brief goodnight and head upstairs with Grace. We crashed into bed from fatigue, but still found some energy to giggle and discuss the movie night. She was excited that she got to meet her favorite character from Game of Thrones and actually had a fun time talking to him about things other than the show. I was happy that I could make her happy.

We each switched off the lamps on our opposite sides of the bed and snuggled into the duvet.

My body slammed onto the floor of a fishing boat that violently rocked against the waves. A brunette man was yelling down at me, his shoulder length hair clinging to his face, but his words were soundless. Time seemed to slow around me and I stared blankly at the clouds above, which thundered with their rage.

The man leaned farther over me, obstructing my view of the sky. He was still yelling out, so I turned my eyes to him.

“---alright? Are you hurt?” He paused shortly before each additional word as if I were some child that didn’t want to listen.

“Father.” I breathed out.

He quickly twisted around to face a crew member.

“Shit, Ren, do you see him?!”

“No, cap.” The other man shook his head, still scanning the water for signs of life.

I could hear the distant sounds of a chopper working its way closer to our location. The pulsing whoosh of the blades managed to cut through the beating rain, but it offered no comfort. I knew in my heart that there was nothing they could do.

I closed my eyes and cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
Today was a really long day. I needed to write to get my mind off of everything, so if there are errors in here...well, you know why. Let me know what you think