Status: L O A D I N G . . .

T.A.H.I.T.I

Part Four

Pietro sat still and continued to glare at my dad and I, Dad dropped his arms from his dramatic welcoming gesture and cleared his throat. The brunet shook his head and then blinked as he looked at the hospital gown covering him and back at Dad.

“I was dead, I was shot.”

“A lot,” Dad added and Pietro narrowed his blue eyes earning an audible gulp from my dad. “I uh well you see you were um brought back? Using my machine, the procedure and program is through SHIELD but of my design and operation,” Dad explained and looked over my shoulder up at him before my chest started feeling tight. I coughed hard and deep, choking on phlem build up in my lungs as I reached for my nose hose again. Pietro seemed taken aback but quickly unlaced the cannula from his ears and watched me pull it on.

“We’re sorry for the inconvience this may cause,” I added and Dad furrowed his brows at me but nodded when I shot him a look.

“How long?” he asked stiffly, his finger flexing against the hardwood of the floor as Dad looked between us. I continued to cough, beating a fist against my chest before standing to excuse myself and make my way to the sink. I could still hear the conversation vaguely through my disruptive coughs.

“A little over five months,” Dad was saying and the man was on his feet in a burst of new found energy, swaying as he grabbed Dad by his shoulders and pushed him up against the stairwell. I hurried over as Pietro roared angrily,

“I’ve been dead for over five months and you think it is okay to just bring me back? Like is no big deal? What about Wanda!?” I grabbed his arm and weakly pulled earning his attention as I tried to talk through my coughing,

“We’re sorry we just- he didn’t mean to. Please don’t- don’t hurt him.” Pietro’s eyes softened as I fell into my dad coughing deeply and Dad wrapped his arms around me steadying me as I gripped the chest of my shirt and Pietro let Dad go. Dad turned me around and told me to get water as my coughing increased and I looked up at Pietro and Dad. I didn’t want to leave him alone with Pietro, the other man seemed particularly cross with my dad, but I had to get this gunk out of my chest and I couldn’t do that with people watching. I made my way to the downstairs bathroom and kept an eye on Dad until I was around the corner and down the hall in the bathroom.

THIRD P.O.V

Pietro watched the petite brunette make her way out of the room and rounded on the scientist who thought it a grand idea to just bring him back.

“I died a good man, I had no regret and now you just bring me back?” he growled and the scientist, Victor, held up his hands defensively.

“You did die a good man and SHIELD needs more good men, so does your sister. You wanna see her again don’t you? You have to be cleared-”

Pietro scoffed. “I do not need your clearance, I will find her on my own,” he went to run full speed but when he took off he only made it to the hallway before he collapsed gasping for breath with an ache so bad in his chest he felt like he had been shot all over again. What was happening? Pietro fell to his knees and leaned against the wall gasping for breath and blinking away spots in his vision. “I can’t- I can’t run! Why can’t I run!?” he shouted glaring over his shoulder where the scientist was making his way over. The older man helped Pietro to his feet and let him lean against his firm stature while he caught his breath, but the look on the good doctor’s face was far from comforting.

“I uh I don’t know,” Victor admitted and Pietro seized his neck in a muscular hand pushing the man back against the wall. “We gotta-stop meeting-like this,” Victor choked out and Pietro’s grip tightened.

“Fix this!” he growled and Victor nodded before looking behind Pietro and frowning. Pietro looked too to see the girl from earlier, Bo, nursing a bloody nose and staring at Pietro with veiled fear. Pietro looked at his hand and then the doctor before dropping him back to the flats of his feet. He had never wanted to be seen as a monster but already this place was bringing out the worst of him. The speedster looked at the girl as she tilted her head back and held toilet paper to her bleeding nose. Victor took only a moment of a breather before rushing to his daughter’s side and moving the toilet paper to look at her nose.

“I’m fine dad, dad it’s okay just a bloody nose it’ll stop in a minute,” she fussed swatting at her father’s hands as he fussed over her, muttering about her medicine and the “damn nose hose”. The tubes that had once ran from the girl’s nose were nose grasped in her hand clogged with drying blood and Bo’s father detached the clear tubing from the tank, telling Bo to wait for him there before glancing at Pietro nervously and leaving the two in the hallway. Pietro looked at the girl through long lashes, glancing up from his feet and keeping his head down almost guiltily as she watched him from where her head was tilted back slightly. “You’re fast,” she said after a long impregnable pause. Pietro scoffed despite himself and shook his head.

“Used to be faster, now I can’t go ten feet without feeling like death,” he said clenching a fist and looking at his feet as if they were the cause of his fate. Bo was quiet and she stepped up to him, lowering her bloodied tissues from her nose and wiggling her nose with a sniff. Pietro thought it was kind of cute the way she wiggled her nose like that, but he didn’t say anything. Instead he merely shifted his gaze from his feet up to the short brunette nearing him.

“Well,” she said looking at the bloodied tissue then dabbing her wiggling nose, “You were dead. Maybe it’s just a side effect like, your body needs to catch up.”

“What if it is permanent? I am no good to anyone if I can’t run,” he mumbled his accent thicker in his exhaustion and annoyance. Bo seemed to consider this and looked at him and then reached her free hand up to tilt his head up.

“You’re good to Wanda aren’t you? Fast or not you’ll have her right?” she asked and Pietro was going to reply when Victor returned and along with it Pietro’s foul mood. HYDRA had soured him to scientists of all kinds and this man was fooling around with death, HYDRA wanted the perfect soldier and went to painful means to achieve it. Pietro could only imagine what that man had done to figure out a way to cheat death.

Victor reconnected a fresh cannula to the oxygen tank and Bo took it once she was sure her nose had stopped bleeding and laced it behind her ears, shallow coughs shaking her shoulders before she sighed happily and looked between the two men.

“It’s late, Pietro for one needs rest and I’m exhausted myself. A lot’s happened tonight, come on Pietro. I’ll take you back to your room,” Bo offered grabbing the tank and looking up at him. Pietro looked at and gave a side glance to Victor who smiled uncertainly and nodded his head.

“We’ll figure this out first thing in the morning, Mr Maximoff. I won’t send you anywhere until you’re back at your peak condition,” Victor offered and Pietro sniffed indignantly but followed the short brunette back down the hall and up the stairs to the bedroom he woke up in.

Pietro sat on the bed and looked at Bo as she flitted through some garments in dresser drawers. She tossed him a pair of drawstring jogging sweats and a black tee that would probably swallow him up. Pietro looked at the clothes and then looked at Bo.

“You’re the one who knocked me out,” he said. It was more an observation than a realization and Bo blinked as she tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Yeah uh sorry about that I thought you-”

“’Sok,” Pietro cut her off with a hand up between them cutting her sentence short. He crinkled the side of his nose and gave a shrug as he said, “I’m not mad. I would have done same thing.” Bo and Pietro were quiet for a while, Pietro staring at something in the distance, or some small point in the floor beneath his bare feet as he thought. Bo was too afraid to interrupt his train of thought so she simply backed out of the room and left. Pietro looked up curious to see where her room was but deciding against following her and opting, instead, to change into the comfier clothes and try to rest enough to sleep.

Too bad he felt like he had slept forever already.