Status: Active c:

The North Star

One.

"Polly?"

I could hear his voice, but I couldn't move or speak. I was trapped, falling, falling, falling. I could feel the fire on my skin as if it was yesterday. I tried to scream, tried to push the flames away, but I couldn't move. All my efforts failed.

"Polly, wake up, you're having the dream again.

I was swirling, round and round, the fire was getting hotter, and the noises around me were getting so loud, it was deafening. I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing came out. I could see my skin melting, leaving behind nothing but bone..

And I woke up.
Tony was standing over me, shaking me gently. I saw Dr. Banner standing behind him. "Are you okay?" Tony asked me, sitting on the edge of my bed. I nodded, wiping the sweat from my forehead. Dr. Banner stared at me, uneasy. "Was it the same dream?" He asked softly. I nodded, looking up at him. "It's always the same." He looked at Tony, "Maybe we should try the shots again." I shook my head, feeling tears prick my eyes. "No, p-please! Not the shots." I pleaded, pushing myself away from them, against the wall. Tony sighed deeply. I hated the shots. They made me.. Someone else. They took me somewhere else. I barely remembered what I did when I was on the shots. "Bruce.. I can't do that to her again." He whispered, sounding as if he were at war with himself. "..but maybe she'll have to go back to sleeping in the other room." He finished. I gulped, nodding slowly. I could deal with the room. I wouldn't have to be in there all the time, just when I sleep. "Polly.." Tony started, taking my hand. "You know I'm just doing this for your own protection, right?" I nodded again, looking at my feet. "And for the protection of everyone else.."

. -Three Months Earlier-

It was almost like the dream. I couldn't control my movements, I couldn't speak. But I was awake. Nat was trying to restrain me, but I was flailing, making it harder for her. My skin was on fire, but nobody could see that except for me. I wanted to scream, tell her to let go. I didn't I want to hurt her. Nat had become one of my best friends over the past 6 months that I've been living with Tony. She didn't treat me like a freak, even though I was from a whole other planet. I ended up punching her, a ball of fire shooting out of my fist, directly towards her face. Steve jumped in front of her, blocking the fire with his shield. I wanted to call out to him, tell him I was sorry, but I couldn't. Another ball of fire flew out of my hand towards them. The fire in my skin burned hotter.

They tried locking me in the lab, and cutting off my oxygen. They were going to try and get me to pass out, they could fix me, then. But I burned so brightly that the doors on the lab began to melt.

I could see Cap help Nat out of the room, away from me. Her arm was bleeding pretty badly. Burns, from me. I wanted to cry. I tried bringing myself back, tried to get rid of the fire, but it hurt to suppress it, too. No matter what I did, someone was always getting hurt. I couldn't even sleep, properly.

Wanda came into the room next, a red cloud surrounding me. Within a few minutes, my fire was out. Wanda seemed to be the only one who really had an effect on me.



-- Present Day ---

That want the first time something like that had happened. It was happening less and less, though. It had been three months already. I thought I was getting better.. But I guess I was wrong. I know Tony was getting frustrated. He wanted me to get better, too. If only been living with him for 6 months.. But he was more of a father to me than the man who raised me.

I was put up for adoption from birth. Nobody really knows where I came from exactly. All that is known is my name, because of the blanket I was found wrapped in, bearing the name Polaris. There have been many theories about my origin since I've come to live with the Avengers, but nothing has been discovered for sure. When I turned 21, I began to notice weird things happening to me. First, the star shaped mark on my forehead. It's light pink, shaped like a star. It just appeared overnight. My hair has always been stark white, it's never shown a hint of color. And the constant glowing. My skin was lit up at all times. I was like a walking lite brite. My adoptive parents made me move out when I accidentally set my bedsheets on fire during a nightmare. But I knew that they had wanted me to leave for quite awhile. I was becoming too weird to be around their natural born daughter, Heidi. She was at the very impressionable age of 8, and they didn't want me around her anymore.

Tony helped me up off the bed, and I followed him and Dr. Banner to the room. The only thing I didn't like about this place was that it was all white. It made me nervous. They left me in there, and as I settled into the bed, I watched Tony walk away slowly. He had a pained look on his face as he looked back at me, and it made my chest hurt.

"This is for your protection." His words echoed in my head as I fell asleep.