Late for French

Chapter 14

Josh’s POV

Flash back to chapter 12

I decided to get some marking done while I had some time to kill before the opening art show tonight. I should have done this during lunch time today but Oliver had other ideas how to spend our hour break.

Trouble was well and truly his middle name. The boy was persistent and I found it incredibly hard to say no to him whenever he was in my company, especially when he made it so difficult for me not to punish him with the inappropriate touches that I shouldn’t be giving to him at all.

I have to constantly remind myself that I am his teacher and he is my student. The relationship should be just that and nothing more, not the unacceptable behaviour going on between us during school hours five days a week.

Although, it’s not illegal. Oliver is sixteen and is over the age of consent but it would be highly frowned upon having performed sexual activities in a school if we were ever to get caught. I knew how the law worked, I’d be the one to face the consequences as I am the adult in the situation and be accused of seducing a student. Not to mention I’d lose my job and most likely pay a fine.

I had to be more cautious around him but that was a lot easier said than done.

Coincidently, I was in the middle of marking Oliver’s work on my desk in the corner of my small living room. His French has improved majorly since the beginning of term but, he still wasn’t where I expected his grade to be. I wasn’t going easy on him at all just because we had some sort of fling going on. I still kept my professionalism with all my students work, Oliver included.

He was currently at a low C grade which disappointed me because he should at least be a B by now. I knew he had the potential but he was purely lazy and had a very short attention span when it came to my classes. Maybe I’ve been more of distraction to him than I thought I would be. I thought with the extra tutoring lessons I’ve been given him he would be more focus but I guess we’ve fallen off track lately.

I sigh tiredly and lent my head against my fist on the desk.
I need to change what we do in our tutoring sessions from now on before things get too far and he’s left with another F before the end of term. I suppose it might be a fluke. I know he’s been putting a lot of hard work into his Art assignments recently but French should be his top grade right now considering all the extra help he’s be receiving. It wasn’t acceptable and we needed to discuss this.

I glanced down at my watch which now read 6:02pm.

“Shit.” I muttered.

I lost track of time and now I was running late. I sat up straight in my chair and stretched out my tired arms. It looks like I’ll be up late tonight finishing off marking these books for tomorrow.

I got up from my desk and made my way to the bathroom where I quickly showered. I tied a fluff white towel around my wet hips as I got out of the shower and made my way into my bedroom and opened my wardrobe.

I wasn’t sure what to wear tonight, it was a school event so I guess casual was alright. I still wanted to look good though and maybe impress a certain school boy. I settled for a pair of dark grey jeans and a white T-shirt which I would top with my leather jacket later.

I dropped my towel and slid on some boxers before going back into the bathroom to brush my teeth and to style my hair. I opened the tub of wax and styled my hair up into my usual messy quiff and splashed on some of my best cologne.

Okay, maybe I was going abit all out to impress tonight which wasn’t nesscceray because it was only a lame school event not a date for crying out loud. I knew Oliver was all about getting laid and releasing his teenage hormones and I guess for me, it was a great way to gain back control. I still wanted to look good though and I haven’t felt this good or confident about myself for awhile and this new feeling felt rather uplifting.

Once I was dressed I headed out into the narrow hallway and put on my shoes and jacket. My phone beeps in my back pocket and I took it out and smile when I saw I had a text from Oliver. No doubt he was telling me to get my late ass to hurry up.

U still coming tonight? Oli x

I strangely feel myself go all warm inside when I read the message. I have no idea why but it had me smiling like a teenage girl being notice by her crush.

I was far too preoccupied at replying to the text that when I opened my front door without looking up to leave, I bumped into another person.

“Oh sor-“

I went to apologies but as soon as I saw who was standing in front of me, I feel the blood instantly drain from my face. My heart stopped beating for a second and my stomach churn as if I was going to be sick.

My breath hitched as I looked into those familiar blue eyes I once madly adored and unexpectedly felt like I was drowning in them again.

“How did you find me?” I asked in a shaky voice.

“Your sister.” He answers.

My sister? I blink in confusion as to why she would give my new address to somebody I wanted out of my life. I didn’t give it much thought because I was suddenly filled with so much anger.

“She had no right and neither did you for asking her!” I snapped.

The last thing I expected was to find my ex husband standing outside my front door.

He was everything I remember; cheek bones to die for, muscular body, light brown hair pushed back, tall, handsome as hell yet, I didn’t recognise him at all.

“Where are you going all dressed up? Off on some fancy date already?” he asks tauntingly.

“That’s none of your business.”

He smirks at my outburst, he was absolutely loving this. I don’t think I’ve felt so much hatred towards someone before.

“Come on J, we agreed to be civil to each other.”

“We agreed no contact after the divorce.” I said through greeted teeth.

I hadn’t seen him since our divorced was made final and that was five months ago. What the hell was he doing here? He got the house when we split, what more could he possibly want from me?

He leans casually against the door frame and I put my arm up to block him from making an entry. He eyes me up curiously which made me nervous.

“Can’t you spare your husband five minutes?”

“Ex husband,” I corrected causing him to roll his eyes.

“And no, I can’t. I’m heading out and so are you. Out of my life where I hopefully never have to cross paths with you ever again.” I told him firmly.

“Ooooh sassy, I like it. You’ve toughen up these last few months.” He smirks as if he wasn’t the reason for it.

He straightens up and steps towards me so he was only inches away from my face. My heart started pounding away in my chest as I saw the mischievous glint in his eyes which I should know better not to get sucked into them.

“Come on, five minutes is all I ask.”

He knew me for my stubbornness and he knew exactly how to make me give in to him. I didn’t want to let him in, I was about to push him away from me and slam the door in his face but curiosity got the better of me and I shamefully dropped my arm and stepped aside to let him in.

“Five minutes.” I sigh.

He breaks into an overly cocky grin and brushes his body way too close to mine before walking down the hallway.

My eyes follow after him as I close the door shut. Fuck, what have I just got myself into? This was dangerous territory letting him back in like this.

I find my snobby ex husband standing in the middle of the small living area whilst his eyes scan the room of my new one bedroom apartment. No doubt he was mocking my down grade from our four bedroom house in his head but I didn’t care, I liked my new place.

“Let me guess, Vic got you a job at his school?” he asks judgementally as he turned to face me.

“So what if he did.” I spat. He was always jealous of Vic, it was pathetic.

Dan Flint, my ex husband. I was so glad not to have his last name anymore. He was such an arrogant self absorbing prick I don’t know how I managed to put up with him for so long.

My last job I taught at was a grammar school across town. Where there were only a selective amount of students who could attend the school, those with higher education skills and who also had very wealthy parents who could pay the yearly school fee.

That’s where I met Dan. He was the schools Drama teacher and came from a wealthy background himself. We hit off on a good note and our relationship went from there.

For him to find out I now work at an average standard school, Dan must assume I had hit some desperate low after our divorce. To be honest, where I work now is alright and definitely the change of scene I needed.

I left the grammar school because I couldn’t stand to be around Dan anymore. Our marriage was pretty much over and even though we were living separately at the time, coming to work and seeing him almost everyday was making me miserable. Every time I saw him it would stir up unwanted feelings that I just wanted to forget once and for all but being there was just making it impossible for me to move on from him.

I needed a fresh start and Vic agreed. Vic, who’s been my best friend since university, kindly offered me a place to stay with him and his girlfriend until I got myself sorted. He was the one who found me a job at the school he worked at in the language department with him and said I could start when the new school year begins again in September.

I owe a lot to Vic for he’s done for me this past year. When Dan and I first filed for a divorce I was a mess. I was in a dark place where I thought I wouldn’t be able to bounce back from but Vic was the only friend of mine who stood by my side as I fixed myself again.

“What do you want Dan?” I finally ask.

I was becoming impatient and I really didn’t have the time to draw this out, I was late enough as it is.

He shrugs his shoulders casually, his confidence falling as he glances down at the floor.

“I miss you.” He mumbles quietly.

My eyes widen in shock, his answer startling me. I was speechless for a moment and just stared at him as I let his words sink in.

A lump forms in my throat and I was almost certain I was going to break down then and there but then I remember all the bullshit he put me through and anger sparks through me.

“No, you don’t get to show up five months later and say that to me!” I yell with hurt mixed in with my angry tone.

He can’t just do that. It’s been months after our divorce and he now throws this “I miss you” bullshit in my face. It wasn’t fair.

“I’m sorry J, I just… I just needed to tell you.”

“I don’t wanna hear it! And don’t call me J like I’m still your loving husband!”

He sighs in defeat and steps towards me.

“I should have told you what you meant to me… Instead of signing those divorce papers and throwing us away and pretending that I didn’t love you back then when I did.” He says caressing my cheek.

“Stop. Just stop. I can’t hear this.” My voice cracks as I step away from him.

Hearing all of this now was too much. All the little what ifs started popping up and it was just false hope and I couldn’t handle it. Doesn’t he get that he’s hurt me enough already?

Dan takes my hand and laces his fingers in with mine. He lifts them up so he could press his lips to the back of my hand and I didn’t have the will power to pull my hand away. I was beyond confused how I felt for him right now and I hated that feeling.

With our fingers linked together like this, our matching tattoos of the Roman numeral six were on show. They represented the six years of our past relationship, I’m surprised he hadn’t had his removed yet because he threaten to do it when we first broke up.

I stare down at the permanent ink on our skin and my mind drifts. At one point of our marriage he was everything I wanted but all of those memories that I once held so close to me have faded away. I once believe we were meant to be but we lost it. He was pretending all this time and I would have never known he could be so cold but I found that out a long time ago when it wrecked our marriage.

He lifts my chin up with his finger so I was looking at him, I frown not wanting to be this close to him. He distracts me with his eyes, his secret weapon and I soon find myself willing diving into them. I was drowning and he didn’t offer me his hand and that’s when I knew I was done for, I was pulled under the water.

He caught me completely off guard when he took that extra step closer and pressed his lips to mine. I stood there stunned by his actions, not knowing what to do with myself as he continued kissing me. So many things were rushing through my head but after a moment of feeling his lips against mine, it was something I thought I’d never feel again. That thought saddens me and I reluctantly, kiss him back.

I kind of forgot what it felt like to kiss him. It was almost like this was a final kiss goodbye but when he deepens the kiss I melted into it and kissed him back harder, not wanting the moment to officially end.

He put his hands on my hips and walked us backwards until I stumbled over some unpacked boxes before my back hit a wall. I gasp and Dan all too willingly slides his tongue into my mouth. I moan at the reminder of what my ex husband tasted like and it gave me a sort of comfort feeling.

I pull away to catch my breath from the heated kiss and Dan goes straight to my neck. Through a clouded mind and hazy eyes, I glance down at the desk beside us and I focus down at the name written on front of the book I was last marking.

Oliver Sykes.

The name is quick to grab my full attention and soon the boy is all I can think about. It’s been like that for while now, not getting him off my mind. That bratty disobedient kid had pushed his way into my life and even though it’s all just fun and games, I found myself caring about him a lot lately.

That’s when I realise the time and Oliver’s text. He was waiting for me and I was making out with my revolting ex husband.

I couldn’t let him down, not tonight. I know he’s been working extremely hard for this and although he didn’t say it, I could tell that he really wanted me there and Dan was standing in my way of getting to him.

I glance at Dan out of the corner of my eye who was still glued to my neck. Common sense hits me and I feel repulsive at the feeling of his lips on my skin. This was wrong. So so wrong that I should be bloody insane to allow it to happen. I put my hand on Dan’s chest and pushed him away from me harshly.

He sends me a questioning look as to why I stopped him and I was all too happy to put out that flame.

“It’s over Dan.” I say loud and clear.

“Oh come on babe, don’t push me away just yet, the fun is only starting.” He grins and steps towards me but I shove him away from me again.

“I’ve had enough of your mind games Dan!”

“Look, Josh, you and me, we can both start over an-“

“No!” I yell in disgust at how he could even think we were cable of starting over again.

“We are never getting back together.” I stated firmly.

“You don’t mean that.” He says in denial which only frustrates me.

“Don’t you get it? I don’t love you anymore and I never will love you again. I want nothing more to do with you. So please, have some dignity and stay away from me!” I shout taking hold of his arm and throwing out of my apartment.

~~

I must have drove past at least three red lights to get here, but I’ll deal with those speeding tickets later, right now I just needed to get to the 3rd floor.

I burst through the door of the art show kind of too eagerly after running up the stairs but, that didn’t matter when I saw Oliver standing in the middle of the room staring back at me. Through heavy breaths I smile at him and everything with Dan earlier disappeared. Standing in this crowded room and Oliver was the only one I could see. The only one who’s cable of grabbing my attention just simply by his presence.

Vic approaches me and snaps me out of my daze on Oliver. I didn’t realise there was a fuzzy feeling in my chest until my eyes were torn away from the school boy.

“I didn’t think you were coming, why are you so late?” Vic whispers.

“Dan showed up at my door.” I breathed.

“You’re kidding right?” he asks in shock and I shake my head.

Realising this was serious, Vic steps me away from the circle of people where we could talk more privately.

“What did he want?”

“To get back together again.” I say truthfully.

“Seriously?”

“Yep.” I say running my fingers through my hair stressfully.

“Josh, you didn’t give in to him did you?” he ask sceptically.

I thought about not telling him about the kiss but Vic was my best friend, he’d find out the truth from me sooner or later.

“A small desperate part of me wanted to... and I, let him kiss me…” I admitted shamefully.

“No, Josh you’ve been doing so well without him.” he groans.

“I know and I pushed him away as soon as it happened, Vic. I told him that I never want to see him again.”

“Good. That’s good, you’ve come so far without him to back track now.” He says.

“I know. I honestly don’t know what came over me. I guess I was in shock just seeing him after all this time.” I think I was still in shock.

Vic nods in understanding. He knew I had a tough time getting over Dan.

“You were together for a long time, I get it. But you’re free of him now. You have your whole future ahead of you don’t let your ex husband get in the way of you having a fresh start.”

“I won’t, don’t worry. Thanks Vic, what have I missed anyway?” I ask not wanting to continue this conversation.

The group of people started clapping causing us to look back at the circle of parents and students.

“Well, you’ve just missed the awards and speeches. You’re not gonna believe this but Oliver Sykes won first prize. I knew that kid had potential, about time he put his talent to good use.” Vic praises.

“He won?” I ask sadly, feeling my shoulders slump.

Fuck. I felt so disappointed that I missed his speech and I tried so hard to get here in time to. I felt awful.

“Yeah, you should really check out his work later on, you’ll be surprised at what he painted but, first I think you need a drink.” Vic pats my shoulder and guides me over to a tray of drinks.

“That I do.”

~~

I stood with Vic and a few other colleagues in polite conversation.

I glance over at Oliver from across the room, I really wanted to go over to him but he was standing with his friends. I’ve been trying to get his attention for awhile now but he just wouldn’t look my way. I hope he’s not mad at me. I feel abit of a hypocrite as I always give him a hard time when he’s late to my classes, yet I’ve just done the same to him for his show. I did have a reasonable excuse which hopefully I wouldn’t have to explain myself to him.

I was waiting to get him on his own so he could finally show me his work. I still hadn’t seen it yet because I wanted him to show it to me himself. He’s been keeping this hidden talent of his from me until this very night. But remaining professional around my work mates was important and I didn’t want to make anyone suspicious if either Oliver or I accidently say something we shouldn’t around the company of teachers and students.

Finally I see him dispatch himself from his group of friends and wonder to the drinks table. Seeing this as my cue to talk to him alone, I excuse myself and make my way over to the table where Oliver was standing.

“Hey.” I whisper as I stood beside him.

He doesn’t say anything he kept his eyes on his drink. He was obviously giving me the cold shoulder and most likely waiting for me to apologies.

“I’m sorry I’m late, something came up.”

“You shouldn’t have bothered coming.” he seethes through gritted teeth as he looked up at me angrily.

My eyes grow wide. I wasn’t expecting him to snap at me but I guess he had every right to.

“Oliver-“

“Save it!” he snaps and tries to walk away but looses his footing.

I quickly grab his arm to save him from falling over but he shakes me off as soon as he finds his feet again. He shoots me a glare and I just look at him feeling nothing but confusion.

Then I notice that he couldn’t exactly stand still and his eyes were now looking everywhere around the room but at me. I narrow my eyes at him and studied his body language and that’s when it clicks in my mind what was wrong.

“Are you drunk?” I ask accusingly.

He scoffs trying to laugh it off but his body betrays him as he started swaying side to side.

“Noooo.” He lies.

I take his drink out of his hand and sniff the ingredients in the glass. The smell of alcohol hit my nostrils immediately and my eyebrows furrow in disappointment. I can’t believe he’s been mixing his drinks and god knows how many his had already. This was totally unacceptable behaviour.

“Don’t l-look at me like that.” he says sadly glancing down at the ground.

“Like what?”

“Like I’m a disappointment.” He hiccups and leans against the table for support.

He couldn’t even stand up straight. He was a mess and it annoyed me that he got himself in this state.

“You need to sober up.” I told him and started pouring him a glass of water.

“Don’t t-tell me what t-to do. I-its all y-your fault anyway, you wasn’t here!” he raises his voice becoming over emotional.

I give him a questioning look to figure him out but I had no idea what he was going on about.

“I’m here now.” I say softly, wanting him to settle down and talk to me calmly.

“I-it’s too late! J-just leave me alone.” He yells pushing past me and he runs out of the classroom.

I stare on after him completely baffled at what just went on just then. I was debating whether I should go after him or not. I was going to until one of my students; Lynn Gunn, comes up to me.

“Don’t take it personally Sir, Oliver’s been in a bad mood all evening.” She tells me.

“He has?”

“Yeah, he’s trying to make out that he’s not upset that his parents didn’t show up tonight but, I know that’s the reason.”

His parents didn’t show? I wonder why they didn’t. Perhaps they were working and couldn’t make it, who knows.

“Hey, Lynn, which board has Oliver’s work on it?”

“The board at the end.” She points me in the direction and I make my way over to it.

Nobody was viewing his work as I approached it and when I got close enough to make out the portraits on the board, I froze.
My eyes analysed the six portraits on display, more specifically; the two very realistic portraits of myself. He actually drew me. I stood staring in amazement.

I feel my heart flutter with warmth as my eyes refuse to leave incredible piece of art.

He was unbelievably talented and I was clueless to it. He acts as if he doesn’t give a shit about school work, yet he has a talent like this which could take him places I bet he’s never dream of.

I can’t believe he kept this from me the whole time until toni-
Oh no. I groan as my hand hits my forehead in realisation. This is what he’s been keeping a secret for so long and refusing to show me any pieces of his work was because he wanted to surprise me but I let him down.

Guilt ate away at me.

I stupidly got carried away with Dan and I ruin this moment to share with Oliver. The look of his face earlier was disheartening and now it all made sense why he acted like he did.

For the last month he

He trusted me to show up man, ive fucked up so bad. I needed to fix it.

When he comes back from the bathroom I’m going to make it up to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, to whoever still reads this story I just want to say I don't come on mibba hardly anymore and have sort of stopped updating on here BUT I do have a WATTPAD account and I am very active on there, so please follow me (I have the same user name) if you would like to continue reading this story and any of my others. Thank you for reading, see you on wattpad :) xx