Status: Active/In-Progress

Redwood

; prologue

Click

"Terror made me cruel."

- Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, 1847

___________________________________________________


Crisp leaves crunched once weight was added; their former selves now easing more into becoming dust. From soil it came and to soil it shall return. A chilling breeze was easing along the edges of the thick wood while the branches creaked against its caress.

Summer was coming to a close and autumn was making it's familiar return, yet it's entrance was slow, for the leaves had yet to change and the cold was only but a tease on the still moderately exposed flesh.

Light was limited within the woods, for the canopy of branch and leaf coming together provided a drape of shade. This only happened to consume the non-gregarious space into a rather unsettling atmosphere. With the sun drawing closer to another portion of the world, the woods would grow darker, and the sounds more devoid of animal life.

There would she continue to walk with nothing of particular interest swirling in her head. The forest was something she occasionally visited, be it for just a sweet release from others, or to enjoy the company of nature. Today, though, each step held a purpose.

When the wind blew, tousling the branches and causing them to arouse a noise, would her sundress come to play in the air as well. Brushing along her knees in order to show just enough skin upon her legs that it would enforce a sliver of a grin, her hair was kept in a low tail; the ends coiling.

Crunch,

Crunch,

Crunch.

Twigs snapped beneath her Mary Jane's.

As the scenery still held some light her navigation was without fail. With her right hand coming to extend and brush away some green, body shuffling past and eye's coming to focus upon the object of primal interest, soon would she withdraw with a quick snap in her tone.

"Ouch!"

A hiss lingered between her lips, having tore her gaze from her front to her hand, catching the portion of blood bubbling out from the slice made upon her index. A smear of red upon a leaf. Frowning, she brought her digit up to her lips, suckling back the blood until cringing momentarily due to the taste.

Choosing to ignore it, and the continuous tingle, she pushed ahead and left the section of shrubbery in order to come closer to the large oak. It's thick trunk was strong, along with the branches which hung about in odd angles of varying lengths, and nestled within was a simple little tree-house.

A soft smile cast upon her rose-tinted lips. A new skip in her step would she come further, glancing at the hanging rope upon the left side which was one method up, and then towards the actual trunk. The trunk had wooden steps logged into it, safe and sturdy, which wrapped around the tree until it provided entry into the petite abode.

While the wooden steps were a safer route, she could not help but giggle and walk towards the rope itself. Hands outreaching, fastening, around the rope, her body soon pushed upwards and feet hooked upon the bottom. It didn't take long for her to guide upwards. She pushed upon a wooden plank, causing it to bounce up, and her to lift inside.

By now it was rather muted; dark in hue. The space within held no dust, though, as this was indeed a used area.

The tree-house was a decent square and within held enough space for quite a few things. Located off to the right happened to be a bed situated on a frame made of cherry wood, and a canopy of multi-colored fabrics fanned over the mattress due to two hooks within the ceiling. The bed itself contained various pillows, each one soft and quite decorative, along with some quilts that would make a Gypsy proud.

One wall held no windows of any kind. Three shelves, each one raised five inches above the other, held some unusual sculptures, a few novels, and various pieces of painting utensils along with paints itself. A rug allowed bare feet to stroll across what would be hard wood, its detail bohemian tribal. With one plush living chair residing not far from the end of the mattress, a trunk was strewn near the wall of shelves, while across on the other side was but a simple wooden desk and stool.

A few lanterns and candles could be seen, but aside that, that was all there would be for light.

Her eye's adjusted to the place while a sweet smile traced her lips and a sense of warmth filled her belly. This, to her, was home. A tree-house aged through time her brother kindly refurbished and allowed her to use it for her own. Removing herself away from the small floor door, her body navigated towards the table and rested her eyes on the window. Coming close she would grasp at the shutters, pulling them in and locking herself away from the woods itself. This was repeated for the window near the bed.

A door of reasonable height was already locked, its location about two inches from the table, for that was the entry when taking the planks lodged into the trunk. Fingers brushed along each lantern, turning the clips in order to ignite the brilliance of light, filling the space with false sunshine.

Once all was lit she found herself by her table, mind ready to begin the practice of art.

Time seemed to slip away. More art pieces already accomplished. When dipping one paint brush into a cylinder cup, drenching the former color away, a sound caused her to snap up from her current affairs.

Outside a twig crunched as if heavy weight fell upon it.

At first, she managed a shrug, brushing off the sound with a dismissive thought. She has been out here numerous times, sounds spanned all throughout the forest; it was normal to her.

Her paintbrush touched the red tint.

Another snap.

Her heart jumped and breathing came to pause.

Hazel eye's ventured up to the closed window before her, just staring at it as if she was looking beyond. Something inside her began to thump; perhaps she could just hear her heart beating faster? More erratic? What was that sound?

She listened intently; did not move from her post. One hand clutched the brush while the tip of it dropped a portion of the red paint onto the table's wood.

All was quiet in the wood. No sound was made aside her heavy breathing, and her eardrums filled with the orchestra that was her heart beat. Perhaps she was being ridiculous? Perhaps she was simply placed on edge due to the occurrence earlier on with her mother? Perhaps all was actually well, and it was but a simple bird plucking worms from the ground, accidentally snapping a twig due to it's passing? Or maybe a rabbit, just out for a delightful hop amongst the grass and flowers before they were to be hidden due to oncoming snow in a few short months?

BANG

Her paintbrush fell from her hand. Red smeared across the table and soon caused droplets upon the floor and rug; the wooden piece bouncing against the ground.

BANG

She ushered away from her table and retracted from her leisure seat, eye's focusing upon the door that seemed to quake.

BANG

Another pound against the frame. Another threat that caused her body to turn rigid and cold and freeze on the spot; she couldn't breathe anymore. What was going on? What was doing this?

Her eye's went wide once a thought raced throughout her mind, and just as another bang went to erupt would she fling her hand upon the exit door on the ground. Within seconds she had it opened and just leaped down, her body making it to the earthy grounds just as the bang shot out and the crunch of something barreling through the door could be heard.

On accident she yelped from the angle of her body having hit the ground; knee's scraping against pebbles that were located near the trunk. Scrambling to her feet she began to race, her feet almost slipping against the soil. It was damp and similar to sludge. It rained and she had not even noticed.

Now the forest was dark. Suddenly it was threatening and liquid began to form within her eyes, trailing down her cheeks as if it were a competition of who was the fastest to reach her chin.

She pushed past shrubbery and tried to dodge oncoming tree's as her own footing quickened in pace as fast as she could deliver. From the treehouse, it was quiet, whatever it was having abandoned the location, and this only caused her pulse to ride.

A root protruding from the ground almost caused her to slip due to her turning her head and trying to glance back; a foolish move on her part. Collecting her balance before she'd ever admit to gravity, her dress snagged on a nearby branch and caused the fabric to tear; a piece detaching itself from the overall garment.

In haste did her nails grip at another tree, body ushering behind the trunk and in the opposite sight of where she had come from. With her back placed firmly against it, her eyesight began to blur.

Suddenly it got quiet.

There was no sound within the wood.

A gentle breeze coasted past her and licked at the broken skin along her knees, kissing the scrapes with too much teeth as each lick was more like a sting from a bee. All she could hear was the sound of her breathing. It was her only company.

A shaky hand pushed up to her mouth, trying to silence herself some more while biting the inside of her cheek. With slow movement did she go to take a step towards the right, body moving like that of a snail and feet barely raising above the ground, but coming to almost slide. Slowly she tried to look around the tree. Eye's alive and alert, trying to just see past the tree and hope all was clear.

One more step to take. One more lean to make.

Snap.