Family Affairs

Family Affairs

Cast:
Robyn Bell.........................................................Protagonist
Hailey Martin.....................................................Step-Sister of Robyn, Used to be very close
Andrew (Andy) Martin.....................................Step-brother to Robyn, not close
Michelle Wright.................................................Robyn’s Therapist
Melanie Bell-Martin.........................................Robyn’s Mother, Graham’s ex-wife
Graham Martin..................................................Robyn’s Ex-stepfather, Melanie’s ex-husband
Julia Bell/Teacher.............................................Robyn’s Aunt, Melanie's sister

Julia/Teacher (can be split into 2 roles if there are more actors)
Props:
Clip Board
7 Black Chairs

Scenes:
Opening Scene With Family Fight
At the Park First Meeting
Sister Bonding/Overhearing Aunt and Mother
Tutoring Session & Fight
Back to fight/Moving out
Discussion with Therapist about sister

Script:

Scene 1:

Scene 1:

*Scene opens with Robyn, Hailey and Graham sitting at a dining room table in the middle of the stage. Graham sits at the head of table on the SR side and the 2 girls sit facing the audience on each of their parents respective sides of the table. Michelle sits in a chair near the front SR with the clipboard in dark lighting another chair sits next to her. Melanie enter front SL and mimes placing things at the table”
Hailey: Are there any potatoes?
Melanie: Oh, i must have left them in the kitchen, i'll be right back
*Melanie exits SL*
Robyn: Um Graham can you sign this
*Robyn leans towards her stepfather as if handing him a paper only for him to brush her aside*
Graham: Can’t you get your mother to sign it?
*Melanie enters SL and places potatoes on table before sitting down opposite her husband*
Robyn: Mom can you sign this?
Melanie: Not right now sweetie, maybe later
*Robyn is disappointed but soon looks at her mother oddly*
Robyn: Mom you look tired
Melanie: (under breath at Graham) Well, that's what happens when you do all the work in the house
Graham: Excuse me? What's that supposed to mean
*Andy enters middle SR*
Andy: Dad! I’m home, is dinner ready?
*Andy sits down and immediately gorges himself being very impolite*
Melanie: (still directed toward her husband) Well i wonder where he gets gets that disrespect from
Andy: what?
Graham: Hey! You can't speak to my son like that!
Melanie: Well i’m pretty sure he's my son too.
Graham: You don't seem to feel that way when i try to parent Robyn over there!
Melanie: That's because you dont parent her you just order her around!
Graham: How is that any different from how you treat my kids!
*As the conversation gets more heated the 2 girls should hold each others hand under the table in a comforting manner*
Melanie: Oh there it is again, ‘my kids’ not ‘our kids’! My Kids!
Graham: Enough! We are not having this discussion in front of them.
Melanie: Why the hell not? They're going to hear us arguing later anyways!
*lighting cue, everyone at table freezes in tableaux*
Michelle: So would you describe this as the first time you saw your parents fight?
*Robyn stands and walks over to Michelle sitting down in the chair next to her, rest of family exits SL with chairs*
Robyn: Well, yes, i guess that was the first time i saw them fight. But we’d heard them fight before, they weren't quiet about it
Michelle: and how did you deal with that?
Robyn: Well, my sister Hailey and i... i mean i guess she's not my sister anymore, but, we would go on these walks and we would always end up at this park. What was it called? Greystone park i think. Come to think of it i think that's the place we first met.
Michelle: and how long ago was that?
Robyn: Well i was about 10 so it would've been about 5 years ago now. My mom took me to the park to see this guy she'd been dating, my future stepfather. I’d met him before but this was the first time i was meeting his kids.

Scene 2:

*as Robyn was talking Michelle and Graham (plus his kids) enter from either side of stage. Hailey and Andy can be fighting, Andy has no interest in being here and Hailey is supporting her father. Robyn stands and goes toward her mother as she calls.*
Melanie: Robyn, there you are, don't run off on me like that, this is a big day.
Graham: Ok kids i want you to be nice to Robyn, remember she's a few years younger than you so she might be a little shy.
*each group is miming in character as the other talks*
Melanie: Graham!
Graham: Melanie!
*the two embrace affectionately before turning back to their children*
Melanie: Um Robyn this is Andrew and Hailey
Graham: Andy, Hailey this is Robyn
*small silence as everyone shakes hands*
Melanie: (attempting to ease the tension) Um Robyn, did you know that Hailey plays Soccer, im sure thats something you two would enjoy talking about, why don't you ask her about it.
*Parents move SR and kids nonchalantly walk downstage L*
Robyn: You play Soccer? (eagerly)
Hailey: Yeah! for 4 years.
Robyn: what about you? (to Andy)
Andy: soccers a dumb game
Robyn: well what do you like to do?
Andy: I play video games
Robyn: i like video games! We could play mario kart together
Andy: Mario karts a kiddy game i like real video games
Robyn: (very disappointed by his demeanor) Oh... okay.
Graham: Kids, how do you feel about Ice Cream?
*kids cheer and run off SR leaving just Robyn and Therapist Robyn does not walk toward therapist stays downstage L*
Michelle: It sounds like you didn't always get along with your stepsiblings.
Robyn: Well Andy always just thought i was some dumb kid, but over the years Hailey and I became really close. After our parents got married we used to sleep over at my aunt’s and watch movies on the floor of her living room.

Scene 3:

*Robyn walks over to Hailey who is lying slightly to right of center stage watching a movie.*
Hailey: Oh you’re back, your aunt made us popcorn! Come sit down, Harry Potter just started
Robyn: Oh! I love this movie!
Hailey: Well come sit down then!
*Robyn moves to sit down. Melanie and Julia enter talking, girls do not overhear and are completely enthralled in the movie*
Melanie: Oh thanks for letting us sleep over tonight, we needed a night away.
Julia: No problem, I love having you girls over.
Melanie: Girls! Aunt Julia and I will just be in the kitchen if you need anything, enjoy yourself!
Robyn: Thanks Mom, love you!
*Melanie and Julia move DSL to have a private conversation, closing door slightly to the left of center and walking to a sink downstage where they mime washing dishes*
*Long moment of silence*
Hailey: Hey Robyn… I hear Ryan at school asked you to the dance in a few weeks.. He’s cute.
Robyn: I mean.. it’s not that big of a deal..
Hailey: Not that big of a deal? We are so going out shopping for a new outfit for the dance.
Robyn: Oh you don’t have too…
Hailey: Of course I have too, that’s what big sisters do
Robyn: (very pleased) Okay, sounds like fun.
*more movie watching silence*
Robyn: Aunt Julia bought that soda you really like, do you want a can?
Hailey: Yea thanks, sounds great!
*Robyn gets up and walks down towards where Julia and Melanie are talking. She stops short putting her ear to the door when she hears a bit of the conversation.*
Julia: But Melanie, you aren’t happy.
Melanie: I know we can make this work.
Julia: There is no ‘we’ involved, Melanie. If he doesn’t want to try, what kind of relationship is that?
Melanie: I love him Julia, besides.. I can’t do that to the girls. You saw them down there, they’re so close. A divorce would ruin them.
Julia: But this marriage is ruining you Melanie, what’s more important?
Melanie: I mean.. I guess you have a point. He isn’t really a father to Robyn..
Julia: Exactly, and you say he doesn’t do any work around the house.
Melanie: He doesn’t! He comes home and kicks his feet up on the couch, waiting for the dinner I make for him. His son is just as bad, I don’t think Andrew’s come home at a reasonable hour in months. And Graham doesn’t seem to care, he doesn’t parent his own son at all and yet he thinks it’s okay to yell at Robyn!
Julia: Melanie… there’s nothing wrong with putting yourself first for once.
Melanie: Maybe you’re right…He’s just not the man he was when we started dating anymore. He’s changed.
*At this point Robyn who has been getting more and more distressed runs from the kitchen door and back to her sister. The lights on Melanie and Julia go down and they exit, .*
Hailey: Robyn are you okay?
Robyn: Hailey… do you think we’re going to be sisters forever?
Hailey: What? Of course we are Robyn.
Robyn: Even if.. something happens to our family?
*Hailey stands up to comfort her sister*
Hailey: I promise Robyn, tell me what's wrong?
Robyn: What? Oh-- nothing nothing. Let’s just watch the movie.
Hailey: Okay..
*The two hug*
Michelle: You and Hailey were really close then?
*Hailey exits and Robyn looks at her wistfully*
Robyn: Yeah.. we were sisters.
Michelle: And have you seen either of Hailey or Andy since the divorce?
Robyn: I haven’t seen Andy… but I saw Hailey a few weeks ago...

Scene 4:

*Katharine enters as the Teacher SL bring chairs with her*
Teacher: Robyn, it's come to my attention that you're not currently passing Math so i've decided to assign you a tutor. Do you know Hailey?
*Hailey Enters SR and the ex-sisters make eye contact*
Robyn: Yeah, we’ve met
Teacher: well, i'll let you two get started
*Teacher exits and girls stand silently. Hailey breaks the silence and sits down, Robyn soon follows suit*
Hailey: Well, what kind of math are you struggling with
Robyn: Well i don't know, i've missed so many classes for soccer this semester
Hailey: Well, why don’t we start with some basic algebra problems, what does x equal here
*points to problem on page*
Robyn: um X=42?
Hailey: Yeah! And this one?
Robyn: X=21?
Hailey: Perfect! This one's a bit tricky
Robyn: I dunno X=19
Hailey: well 38 but you seem to know a lot more than you think, why don't you try some of these multiple choice?
*Robyn begins to do them when her phone goes off. Robyn checks her phone and Hailey clears throat*
Hailey: Could you put that away we need to focus
Robyn: Sorry, it's just mom, she's telling me what she's making for dinner tonight, I think we're having those potatoes you love.
Hailey: Oh
*awkward pause*
Robyn: Oh, sorry
Hailey: it's okay, let's just try and keep working.
*Time passes, Robyn steals glances at Hailey*
Hailey: well that's all the time we have
Robyn: oh, Really? But i didn't even get halfway through the multiple choice
Hailey: that's okay, most people don't finish all of it.
Robyn: Oh..... (pause for a while before attempting to make small talk) So i hear you’re going to princeton to play Soccer, that's really awesome i'm sure your grandpa's really proud of you.
Hailey: Look, i know you're just trying to be friendly but no personal questions okay? We’re not family anymore.
Robyn: well whose fault is that (slightly under breath)
Hailey: what?!
Robyn: (aching with disappointment sadness and maybe bitterness but not too angry) I mean you never reached out to me, you never called, you didn't even write, and we were sisters Hailey.
Hailey: (very curt, formal, and clinical) Look i thought I could handle this but this is just too much. I'm going to talk to your teacher tomorrow and ask that you be assigned a different tutor. Good luck with your math Robyn.
*Hailey exits SR leaving Robyn alone in chair*
Michelle: Why do you think Hailey snapped at you?
Robyn: Well the divorce was really messy, our parents didn't handle it very well. My mom blamed her dad and her dad blamed my mom. We didn’t really have an opportunity to see each other.

Scene 5:

*during Robyn's speech Family members walk in with chairs and set up Family dinner table around Robyn, we return to the middle of the fight*
Graham: Enough! We are not having this discussion in front of them
Melanie: Why the hell not? They're going to hear us arguing later anyways!
Graham: do you really wanna start this now?
Melanie: What do you mean start now? This has been going on for months! You don't respect me, you don't respect my daughter, and you sure as hell don't respect this family.
Graham: Then why are you still here?
*Graham stands up on his line and Melanie stands up during hers*
Melanie: Look, i've been trying to make this work but you know what? You're right, I’m sorry we’ve been such an inconvenience to you the entire time we’ve been here. We’ll gone in the morning, Robyn, go pack your things.
*Andy, Graham and Hailey exit SR Julia enters SL to help move boxes, which are really the dinner chairs, off SL packing in complete silence, when the last chair is being handed off they speak*
Julia: The car is all packed
Melanie: Ready to go sweetie?
Robyn: Mom, I think I forgot something inside
Melanie: okay, be quick, i'll see you in the car sweetie.
*Julia and Melanie exit SL as Hailey enters from opposite side miming carrying a box, hand off box during line*
Hailey: Here
Robyn: bye
Hailey: bye
*Hailey exits SL*
Michelle: So was that the last time you saw Hailey before...
Robyn: Yeah, before the whole tutoring thing
Michelle: and neither one of you has tried to contact the other?
Robyn: no, i didn't wanna contact her, i would've felt like i was betraying my mother
Michelle: do you think maybe Hailey felt the same way. That she didn't want to betray her Father?
Robyn: Maybe, i guess
Michelle: Do you think that might be why she acted that way during the tutoring session
Robyn: *slow realisation but not a happy one an internal one* yeah
Michelle: Well Robyn, (Michelle stands up) I think it's been a very productive hour. i'd like to see you again next week. (shakes hand) Thank You.
*Michelle exits leaving Robyn alone on stage*
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like it if you have any questions or comments please ask. This is one of my favorite pieces of writing ive ever done and would love to hear opinions.