Ruination

02

It was another day in Arkana. The sun was high, the sky was blue and the city was buzzing, well most of the city. On north side of Arkana, sitting against the giant wall, was a small business sector that was known for selling odds and ends, with a few eateries. It was one of the sectors of Arkana that was most active during the afternoon and well into the night.

Like many of the buildings on Mooney Court, Curious Corner stood dark. The windows covered with heavy drapes and a closed sign on the door. It was just one of many stores that opened close to dusk. It wasn’t because shady business was committed there; it was because of those who own the shop. Daylight hours were the best time to assemble their wares.

Pierce Gore stood in the door way of a brick building, getting a breather. He watched the few store owners prepping their stoops. Pierce found people watching interesting. It was an out of mind experience for him. One that made him smile.

“If you let the glass sit any longer it won’t be easy to work with.” Pierce watched as the owner of Peddlers Nook set out some oddly looking statutes and rugs. “Pierce did you hear me?” Pierce huffed and headed back into the heated workshop.

“Yeah, dad, I heard you; I was just taking a breather.” Daniel Gore sat at his desk with his glasses perched on his nose, with his amber eyes watching Pierce. His long sleeves were rolled up, his salt and pepper hair was matted to his head, and sweat rolled down his face.

“Believe me son. I know it’s hot in here, but we have to have that order completed for the Andersons. Those tumblers are not going to make themselves.” Daniel pointed to the furnace. He pushed his glass back up and refocused on his own work.

Pierce watched his father. Daniel’s shoulders were hunched over his work. On a special stand was a pocket watch. It was opened with all its innards exposed to Daniel’s tools. Peirce always found it fascinating to watch his father work. Daniel’s focus, his precision was like watching a movie.

“Watching me work is not going to get those tumblers done,” Daniel stated without looking up. Pierce huffed out a laugh, earning a smile from Daniel.

Pierce picked up the blowing rod, the light from the furnace making the copper in his eyes and hair gleam; he dipped the rod into the furnace. Four of the ten tumblers were done. Another six wouldn’t take him to long. He rolled the molten glass, reheated it, added color, heated it again, rolled it again, reheated, added a lungful of breath, reheated, more breath, and heated again. Finally he went to his mold of the tumbler and blew into the rod making the molten glass expand to the form of the mold.

It wasn’t too long before all ten were down. Daniel was still hunched over the watch trying to get it to tick. Pierce watched as he waited for the glass to cool down.

“Oh wow!” Pierce turned to see his brother, entering the workshop with a satchel filled to the brim with plants, rocks, pieces of wood and jars of honey. Gency Gore was covered in dirt and headed straight for the pristine tumblers. “Pierce I think this is your best work. The Andersons will love these.” Gency went to handle them, but Pierce slapped his hand away.

“Gin, come on. Your hands, they’re filthy. Actually, you’re just all together filthy.” Gency examined his hands; they were sticky and covered in mud, so were his clothes. His black hair fell across his eyes and he pushed it away smearing mud on his cheek and forehead.

“You’re filthy to!” Gency pointed out. Pierce’s shirt was drenched in sweat and he had powdered color particles on his hands. With a few scorch marks on his pants.

“So cruel; no wonder Tyson doesn’t respond to your advances.” Pierce chuckled at Gency’s silver eyed glare.

“Not everyone can have someone so dedicated and obsessed with you as Jennifer is.” Gency taunted humor brightening up his face. Pierce turned his own glare on Gency. “Go and get cleaned up and leave my girlfriend alone.”

“Then leave my love life alone and I will leave Jennifer alone,” Gency yelled from the washroom.

“Now Pierce, be kind to your younger brother.” Daniel stood up, stretching his back out. He picked up the pocket watch and put it against his ear. A pleased grin slowly appeared as the clock made noise.

“He’s fine. Seriously, Gency is tougher than he looks.” Daniel raised a questioning eyebrow. “What!? You didn’t raise any weaklings,” Pierce stated proudly. Without their mom, Pierce knew his father had a hard time raising them.

“I know. Wrap up the Andersons order and get to the washroom. It’s time to open shop.” Daniel wrapped up the watch and put it in a small box. “I am going to get the shop ready. Don’t dally.”

Pierce ducked under one of the counters and retrieved a plain white box and some bubble wrap. Slowly he wrapped the tumblers up and stored them in the box. He took out a tag and wrote the Andersons on it.

The clock tower at the entry of Mooney’s Circle struck. Six chimes echoed across Arkana. The sun was on its way down, making the dome above the city glow with an amber tint.

The shops opened up. Lights came on, drapes were pulled back, and music filled the air. The streets became crowed. People going to Musical Medley for the nightly listen-in and jam. Anita’s Tome was packed with people browsing for books. It also dubbed as a café. The lounge area was full of people sprawled out with a good book and a hot drink. Salted Rim was getting rowdy as more patrons went in with a straight walk and came out with smiles and uneven steps.

Pierce watched from the windows of Curious Corners; a smile on his lips. People were so interesting. Arkana was interesting. The poles that were scattered about the city with speakers at the very tops were their guardians. Pierce felt safe and protected there with his family by his side.

Gency stood next to him. Anyone looking at them would think there are two friends, not brothers. Pierce towered over Gency with a large frame. To Pierce, it made him feel more like a protector; someone that could defend his family.

Pierce followed Gency’s gaze. Just beyond their workshop loomed the Northern part of the wall, a small part of the dome could be seen. “Still interested in what’s beyond the wall?” Pierce asked with a note of concern. Gency nodded his head. Everything beyond the wall was unknown and dangerous. Pierce wished his brother would ground himself and be happy within Arkana’s walls. He was.