Ruination

03

August stared down at the piece of paper in front of him, than glanced back up at Chancellor Pedrick Harris. Yeah, he would definitely need to make the bald spot on his sketch's head bigger. He returned to his doodle, deep in concentration until he felt an annoyed gaze boring into him. He knew who it was even before he glanced up to flash an innocent smile at his father.

Tybalt Beckett was an imposing man, slightly taller than August and broad shouldered. He kept his own dark brown hair cut short where August let his grow out more. And August had inherited his mother's laughing hazel eyes instead of Tybalt's piercing blue-gray ones; so pale they seemed almost colorless sometimes. Currently he had them trained on August, knowing full well that he wasn't paying the slightest attention to what Chancellor Harris was saying.

August tried to force himself to listen, relieved that the meeting concluded shortly after that. He hoped to escape before Tybalt caught up to him, but no such luck.

"August," he said in exasperation. "You know you're going to become a Chancellor in six years. Can't you at least try to pay attention in the meetings?"

"I do try," August protested. "It's just that there's never really anything to discuss at these meetings, Dad. Arkana isn't in anymore danger today than it was last month, or the month before that, or a hundred months ago. Chancellors are just figureheads. This place is a well-oiled machine."

Tybalt sighed. "I know it is. But son, we all still have our jobs to do to keep it that way. And this job will fall to you, as soon as you turn thirty."

August grimaced slightly. "Please. I feel like I've been reminded of that every five minutes for the last twenty-four years."

Tybalt's gaze softened a little and he clapped August on the shoulder. "I know. I'm sorry. But you still need to make an effort to pay attention, and for gods sake, try to be on time once in a while."

August cracked a smile. "Sorry. I was out late to watch Maddi's show. You should come soon; she has a new act where she sets herself on fire."

Tybalt looked alarmed. "That girl, I swear. Does anything scare her?"

"Does anything scare who?" Madison herself was waiting for them outside the Chancery building, leaning against one of the great stone pillars and munching on a donut.

"You," August said, to answer her question. "He wanted to know if anything scares you."

"August's feet," she replied seriously and that got a laugh out of even the stony Tybalt Beckett. August scowled and flipped her off while his dad was giving her a hug and she stuck her tongue out in response.

"Was August late again and blaming it on me?" she asked.

"Naturally."

"I was trying to be a supportive friend," August informed them. "Some sacrifices must be made."

"You could sacrifice that hour and a half you use to make it look like you just rolled out of bed," Madison shot back teasingly.

"Hey now, don't get carried away," Tybalt said. "There are only so many things August needs to survive. Food, sleep, oxygen, and his hair."

Madison doubled over laughing and August looked at them both in disgust.

"Oh yeah, sure. Mock the beautiful people. You common types have always been jealous."

"I'll common your ass," Madison said, flicking donut powder on him.

"That doesn't even make sense."

"I'll make your ass sense."

"I'm going to go now," Tybalt said, rolling his eyes. "Go enjoy your youth before you have to take over my job. Are you going to meet that boy...what was his name? Royce?"

"Hemorroyce," Madison muttered.

"Ah, no. I'm over him," August said.

"August, I think you change boyfriends more often than you change your underwear," Tybalt said, looking exasperated again. August shrugged.

"I can't tie this down to one person," he said, gesturing to himself. Tybalt rolled his eyes and went back inside the Chancery building without another word.

"Why do you refer to my poor jilted lover as Hemorroyce?" August asked, trying to steal what was left of Madison's donut.

"Because he was a pain in the ass," Madison explained, easily dodging him and keeping the donut to herself.

"You don't like any of my boyfriends," August pouted.

"Because you date jerks," she said plainly. "And you know it's true, because you always dump them and I'm always right. You need to start letting me do a screening process on the guys you're interested in, so I can weed out the bad ones."

August laughed, slinging an arm around her shoulders. "I'll think about it, wing woman."

"Don't think about it too long, or you're gonna grow old and die alone."

"Ouch. You circus people are mean."

"If it makes you feel any better, I'd grow old and die alone with you if you need me."

"I think that defeats the purpose of dying alone," August pointed out.

"Technicality."

"You made me hungry for a donut. We're going to Sugar Rush." He steered her across the street to the tram station.

"Aren't you worried about your waifish figure?" Madison grinned.

"These abs of steel will never go soft."

Madison poked him in the stomach. "You're an idiot. And you're going shopping with me. Mom's birthday is next week."

August groaned. "Do we have to spend all week searching for the perfect thing?"

"Just like every other year."

"I think I'm going to need a whole baker's dozen of donuts," August muttered. Madison gave him her best pouty face, sticking out her bottom lip and widening her bright blue eyes pleadingly. He threw his hands up in surrender.

"Fine, fine. Don't break out the puppy face. I'll shop till I drop. The things I do for love."

Madison smirked in triumph. She knew perfectly well he'd do pretty much anything to avoid the Chancery, and he would rather hang out with his oldest friend than stuffy old men like Pedrick Harris. As he picked through the donuts in the giant pink box he had bought he noticed Madison looking out the window toward the distant wall again, a faraway look on her face.

"Hey what is this, am I not interesting enough for you anymore?" he asked, finding the jelly donut he'd been searching for.

"We all know how fascinating you are, Oggie. No one will deny that." Madison pulled her gaze away from the window. "Give me that custard filled one."

August would never understand Madison's interest in the time before Arkana, but then August never liked to think of anything much besides the moment he was in. He just thankful that at this moment he was still free of Chancellor duties and was being dragged all over the north half of Arkana while his best friend searched for the gift that "spoke to her."

"Tomorrow we can try that place by the north wall," she said, after they had explored the thirtieth shop and still had nothing. August made a face.

"You mean that seedy looking shopping plaza thing?"

"It's not that bad, you snob," Madison said, laughing. "It's not 'seedy;' it's quirky. Besides, I might find the perfect birthday gift there. I mean, diamonds used to come from coal. Treasure isn't always found in the prettiest places."

"Damn, Madison. That's deep. I am awed by your wisdom."

She grinned and flipped him off.