Ruination

04

It was well before dawn. The whole of Arkana was slumbering. Gency made his way down Mooney Court, straight through the sleeker sector and all the way down to the heart of Arkana. There he traveled by hover rail to the southern sectors. The sun was just peeking up over the eastern wall, as Gency walked down a dirt road towards the wild sector.

It was the last plot of land on the road, Gore Acres. Just like the workshop, their land butted up against the wall. Trees upon trees covered the acres; set against the wall were the tallest trees in all of Arkana, reaching almost to the top of the wall. The left plot was another wooded area owned by an older man and women. Gency assumed it was just those two, because he had never seen anyone else.

Today was the day, Gency had taken an order that had a high pay out, but he needed a special tool. The older couple had offered to sell him the pick of the lot, but at the time he saw it as a waste of money.

He crept down their dirt road, passing a large barbwire fence that spanned the entire property. It sometimes made Gency wonder what they were trying to keep in. He came around a bend in the road and encountered a large building. Like every other time Gency ventured to their property, Jonathan and Lisette were outside tying down a tarp, covering a bulging cargo hover trailer.

“Gency!” They both shouted in greeting. Gency waved back stopping a few paces away until they were done with their knots. “What brings you here?” Lisette asked. It was a windy day causing her black hair to fly about.

“I was wondering if I could still have my pick of the lot,” Gency asked. He opened up his satchel, and dug out his coins.

“Unfortunately, we only have one left. We thought the pigs would be a big hit, but they ended up costing us more money to take care of them,” Lisette replied in sympathy.

Gency held the coins in his grip with a frown. Fears came rolling through his head. He needed a pig, but usually the last of the lot was the one that had problems. Maybe if he went to the market. It would be a little more expensive, but he would get a good quality one. Gency opened his mouth, but Lisette cut him off.

“Jonathan go get the pig,” she shouted over her shoulder. Jonathan quickly disappeared, within seconds he came towards them with a pig on a leash. “It’s the runt of the lot, with odd colorings, but she’s as good as the others.” It was black with white spots covering its face.

“Her name’s Splatter,” Jonathan commented. Gency knew with all certainty that Splatter was the girl for the job. Not too big, and female. It was perfect, plus all the white speckles covering her snout made her adorable. “Here.” Jonathan passed Gency the leash. “A little pig, for a little fellow.” Gency pinched his face, causing Jonathan to laugh.

“Honey!” Lisette jabbed Jonathan in ribs, as she tried to hold back her own laughter. They both quickly covered their laughter up with a throat clearing cough.

“It’s alright. I know I’m small.” Gency wanted to make them feel bad, but compared to the two giants in front of him, he could see how he was small. He actually had to crane his neck to look at them properly.

“Three silvers.” It had taken him awhile to save them up, but with Splatter it would be well worth it. He went to hand them to Lisette, but she hesitated.

“How about two silvers and an exchange for goods,” Lisette countered. Gency nodded for them to continue. “How about we trade Splatter for two silvers and a thirty foot rope.”

“Rope?” Gency asked in confusion. Rope was easy to come by and worth less than a silver. “What’s the catch?” he asked suspiciously.

“Our job requires special ropes. We could buy them at the market, but they would be synthetic and cost us and arm and a leg, or you could make it.” Gency immediately knew what they were asking for.

The high standing trees that tried to outgrow the walls produced stringy leaves, that when twined together they produced lightweight rope that could withstand fire and extreme force. The only problem; it took time to create and the materials was limited.

“One rope, thirty feet long?” Gency asked warily. If that was it, he should have enough material, he hoped. Lisette and Jonathan nodded. “When do you need it by?”

“Two weeks.” Gency agreed rather reluctantly, but the rope would be easy to make, and Splatter would earn them money quick. Exchanges were made and Gency was on his way with Splatter in tow and a lighter pocket.

Gore Acres was worth a large amount, but they would never sell it. They would live on it before it came to that. It was a family heirloom; it had been there since the walls were first raised.

Gency passed through two towering trees that acted as the entrance. Like Lisette and Jonathon’s land, Gore Acres was covered in stands of trees, shrubs and rock formations were hidden among them.

Gency put a collar on Splatter that would corral her to their property line and act as a locator. He let her loose as he harvested the overgrown herbs to sell as spices. Oils and smudge sticks were just some of the other things he made as well. Then he moved onto the vegetables for the table. Weeded the area then set up the watering orbs, to go off at certain times for the next week.

He located Splatter under the fruit trees, eating anything on the ground. Quickly he salvaged what he could of the untouched fruit and stored it in his satchel with the herbs and vegetables.

He leashed Splatter, letting her lead the way to the Stringy trees. They walked slowly. Gency crossed his fingers, hoping it would work. Suddenly Splatter went into a frenzy pawing at the ground. Gency nudged her away and dug. Underneath the oak trees, twined in the roots were mushrooms, better yet truffles.

Gency jumped up, shouting his joy. He stuck gold. They wondered around a little longer. They didn’t find much more. But it was enough to fill the order.

Gency unleashed Splatter to continue onto the trees. He stood their looking up. They were huge. Rounder than the towers that doted the walls with thick limbs; unfortunately, there was little stringy leaves. Gency estimated, by the looks of it, there was just enough for the rope.

Like a squirrel, he took a flying leap for the first limb and scurried up the tree. Collecting as he ascended. Once at the top he stopped and gazed at Arkana and the dome; it was beautiful. He gazed at the wall; the city was beautiful, but beyond the wall was where he wanted to go. He stared at the hover cars, wishing he could be in one of those. To just see what was beyond the walls.

The tower to Mooney Court chimed in the distance. It was time to be heading back. Gency scaled down the trees and headed for home. Going through Arkana, he got many strange looks. He had to try hard to avoid running into people, but they were everywhere. Arkana in the middle of the day was like a colony of bees. The stringy leaves wrapped around his body made people avoid him, but some still got sticky and wet.

“Do you strive to get as messy as possible?” Gency stopped walking towards the workshop and smiled. He knew that voice.

“Hey Tyson,” Gency said sweetly as he turned around. Tyson was leaning against the wall to Salted Rim. He wasn’t as tall as Jonathan but tall enough to still grab eyes. His unnatural bright green eyes gave away his genetic history as one of the many Cloned citizens. It was just another feature that made him attractive. He was the most recent Cloned generation. The next cycle wouldn’t start for another decade and that made him all the more desirable.

“You look even muddy than usually. Did you get more orders?” Tyson leaned forward wiping his finger through a smear of mud and sap on Gency’s cheek. Gency couldn’t stop his thoughts of how close Tyson’s lips were to his.

“Yeah.” Gency took a step back to clear his thoughts a little. “We’ve been a little short on cash, so I took a risk and it paid off.” Gency showed Tyson the truffles.

“That’s great Gency,” Tyson congratulated.

“You know you can call me Gin.” Gency commented, blushing like a schoolgirl.

“I would but you would get the wrong impression.” Tyson sighed. “Gency if I was gay I would give it a try. Honest you’re easy on the eyes and sweet as pie, but I love women. Friendship is all I can offer.” Tyson smiled sadly.

Gency broke eye contact. He knew it was true, but couldn’t help wishing Tyson would change his mind. “Thanks.” Gency was angry that his voice wavered. He really liked Tyson.

“But on the bright side. I have a friend you may be interested in.” Tyson gave a hopeful smile. “His name is Royce. He may be stopping by, if you want a take a break from your life at Curious.”

“Thanks. I will think about it.” Before Tyson could say anymore, Gency headed towards the workshop.

“Poor Gin. Come on Tyson, throw him a bone.” Gency winced at the squeaky voice of Jennifer. She was always trying to support his decision to get Tyson but, sometimes she went too far. Gency didn’t want a bone he wanted the real deal.

He untwined the stringy leaves from around him and put them in a trough by the furnace to soak. He put the fruits and vegetables in the cooling bubble in the corner then separated out the herds for dying and wrapped the truffles up and put them in a box. He contacted Grotto and within minutes a messenger picked them up and left a sac of silvers on the work table.

He was finishing up the herb racks, feeling rather glum and wanting to mop around, when he heard his father.

“Did you rob a bank?” Daniel asked picking up the sac; he was all dusky, meaning he was digging around the basement for unfinished projects.

“No, just filled an order.” Gency finished tying up his herbs. “And I got a pig. Her name is Splatter.” Gency plastered on a bright smile, but couldn’t help but really smile at his bewildered look.

“Hmmm. I’m not sure what to think about…Splatter, but this,” he tossed the sac of silvers in the air, “will go a long way in helping pay for more materials. I am heading to the market sector to pick up a few things. You and Pierce are running the shop tonight.” Gency groaned as Daniel pocketed the coins, quickly he pulled Gency into a hug. “And don’t worry. You’ll find a nice boy soon enough. You’re still young.” Gency leaned his head into his father’s chest and smiled. A little part of him wanted to cry. Somehow someway his father always knew how to make him feel better.