Ruination

06

“How do we get down?” Pierced asked aloud drawing everyone’s attention. “Underground?” He emphasized. Jennifer’s bight synthetic blue eye widened drastically.

“Pierce you can’t be serious?” Jennifer slinked in front of him and wrapped her arms around his neck. “You saw what that droid did.” She leaned her head against his chest. “It’s better if we stay here, where it’s safe.” Pierce absently nodded his head in agreement. Maybe this is what they needed.

Jennifer and Pierce had hit a rocky spot in their relationship, not that anyone could tell. Pierce felt like he wasn’t needed by Jennifer anymore, and found her lacking in emotional connection. Given she was a clone, Peirce found her beauty no longer held him. He felt more like a trophy boyfriend than an actual boyfriend. He wanted to be her everything, but she seemed to be pulling more and more away.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I’m heading to Sector 30, come hell or high water,” Madison interrupted their little love scene.

Both girls were right in their opinions. A part of Pierce wanted to stay in the shop and let the droids do their job. Arkana was home. The Droids would make it safe again; Pierce had to believe that. The other larger part of him agreed more with Madison than Jennifer, and that sort of scared him. Jennifer had always been his stone, but could a broken rock be bonded back together.

“Don’t forget about me. Where would you be without my smarts and good looks?” August teased, placing a smile on everyone’s face. Pierce couldn’t believe that this was there future. Chancellor August Beckett. Dome help them all!

“I’m going too,” Gency spoke up, shocking Pierce out of his thoughts. He was about to disagree, but August beat him to the punch…well in a way.

“There’s no need to be the hero. That’s my job.” August leaned against the wall next to the window. “Why don’t you just stay here with your brother and his girlfriend, and leave this to the professionals.” Pompous. Smart mouthed. Bothersome. Those were just a few thoughts that entered Pierce’s head. He couldn’t take him seriously.

“I couldn’t agree more.” Jennifer pulled away from Pierce with stars in her eyes. “If anyone could save us, I know Chancellor August Beckett could.” Pierce bristled when Jennifer started to fawn over August.

“Stop.” Madison inserted herself between them. “Jennifer, right?” Jennifer frowned as Madison slowly pushed her backwards. “His name is just August.” Pierce settled down as Jennifer took a step back. “If Gency wants to come then more the merrier.” She pointed at August effectively stopping his retort.

“Good, because our father is in Sector 5, do you think we could make a pit stop?” Gency asked sincerely. Madison nodded seriously.

Pierce was quiet as Madison stared at him. She was awaiting his answer. Actually they all were. If he was honest to himself, he didn’t want to get involved with people he hardly knew. However, it wasn’t just about himself. He had already lost his mother, he didn’t want to lose his dad and he sure as hell wasn’t going to let his brother go alone. His father would be sorely upset at him.

Pierce gave a silent nod of agreement.

Madison whirled around. “So this is how it will go down. Down by the clock tower there is manhole cover. It doesn’t just lead to the sewer. There is another level. Behind the ladder is another shaft with another ladder. After that, we can get anywhere in Arkana,” Madison excitedly sputtered out.

“Wait, hold up. So you want us to make a run for it and hope we make it past all those droids and duck under a manhole cover that weights a couple hundred pounds. I don’t think so honey,” Jennifer said rather snottily. She wagged her finger in front of Madison’s face.

“Do you think we can make it?” Pierce wanted an honest answer.

“No,” August said matter-of-factly. Pierce was hoping he was trying to be funny, but he wasn’t. August’s features stayed serious. One glance at the blue haired girl, and he knew the chances were low. “As much as I hate to say this, Jennifer may have a point.” Jennifer beamed at August, before she fully comprehended what he was saying. Pierce was glad she decided to keep her mouth shut, instead of making more of a fool of herself. “We could make past a few of them, but not all the way.”

“Well then how about one?” Gency spoke up with a giddy smile on his face. His smile widened at their confused stares.

“Are you blind? There are five droids out there…that we can see at least.” August pointed out the window.

“Maybe to the clock tower.” Gency maneuvered between Madison and August. “But our workshop is a straight shot from the Salted Rim.” Said bar had one droid patrolling the bar front, watching potential jail breakers.

“That’s fine and dandy, but that won’t help us get to the underground.” Pierce pointed out. Given they had a lot of random things in the workshop that could potentially help them, it was still a risk. It could possibly draw more attention, hindering them than helping them.

“You know that huge grate in the middle of the floor?” Gency questioned.

“Yes.” Pierce answered warily. The rest of the room had gone quiet, listening to the two brothers.

“I was handling some of your finished pieces.” Gency gulped nervously.

“And?” Pierce gestured for more, already knowing what happened. He now understood that funky smell.

“Well, Ms. Sanns earrings fell through the slats. One thing lead to another, let’s just say if I didn’t get my footing fast enough, I would’ve been cover in sewer sludge.” Gency turned beet red.

“I knew that funky smell had to be your doing.” Pierce was horrified that he still sold those to Ms. Sanns. What’s worse she absolutely loved them.

Image


Jennifer was clinging to Pierce as they maneuvered within the shadows of the giant wall. Gency and Madison were leading the way, giving signs when it was safe to move in-between the shadows. August was hot on their tails, trying to make fun of the situation.

When the droid had its back to the wall, Gency and Madison sprinted to the workshop. Slowly they each took their turn. When Pierce arrived with a wrung out Jennifer; he was surprised to see Madison and August inspecting their wares. He honestly expected them to be gone already.

Madison was running her hand over the finished glassware and August was happily sniffing the drying herbs. He even had the audacity to pocket something. Pierce made to confront him, but Gency appeared with his signature satchel over his shoulder. It was stuffed to the brim; some of it was even hanging out.

“We can’t be serious,” Jennifer stated as they all circled the slotted grate. They all stood there in silence. Pierce wondered if he was ready for this. He blinked and suddenly Madison and Gency were removing the grate, pushing it to the side. “You are serious.” Jennifer’s voiced loudly, revealing her uneasiness.

There was a scuffling noise, everyone stilled. Pierce knew the droid didn’t see them, everyone was careful. He turned his head and gave a sigh of relief.

“Tyson! Thank the Dome! Talk some sense into them!” Jennifer gestured wildly to the group.

“Who are you?” Madison slowly stood. Still and tense. Pierce could understand her uneasiness, all she wanted to do was get to her family and it seemed like it was one delay after another.

“Jennifer’s older brother. What are you doing?” Tyson eyed Madison, his eyes hungrily roaming her body and hair.

“Leaving.” Gency answered coolly, surprising everyone. He jumped down into the gaping hole without another word. Pierce glared at Tyson. Was it that hard to show a little sympathy? Tyson knew how much Gency liked him, and to eye Madison like a piece of meat was completely disrespectful. The tension in the air rocketed, when Tyson just shrugged his shoulders, like he didn’t know why Gency did what he did.

“I can’t stop Gency, but I don’t think Chancellor Beckett would appreciate his only son slumming it in the sewers. The droids are protocol. It’s better if we just do what they say.” By the doubting looks from Madison and August, they didn’t care what Tyson had to say.

“We’ll meet you down there,” Madison bleatingly ignored Jennifer and Tyson as she spoke to Pierce. She gave a tight smile to Jennifer and Tyson and disappeared through the grate with August right behind her.

“Jennifer, why don’t you and Tyson just stay here? It’s probably safer for you two.” Pierce dismissed Jennifer’s needy look and went over to the grate. Maybe a little time apart would help their relationship, and give Pierce a little breathing room to muddle through his thoughts.

“But Pierce,” Jennifer whined, batting her eyelashes.

“I’m not letting Gency go by himself and I’m not leaving my father to the mercy of the droids.” He looked up from the grate. Both Tyson and Madison’s eyes glowed unnaturally. It was another reminder of how different they were from him. “Jennifer, maybe this is a good thing. It will give us a little break from each other.” Her eyes got impossiblely wide. “Make sure to cover the grate.” Pierce quickly jumped down, ignoring their calls to come back.

He felt his way through the darkness, until he tumbled out into a large open area. When he righted himself, August and Madison each held a candle, while Gency held two.

“Here.” Gency held one out for Pierce. Pierce untwisted himself and took it.

“Wax, dripping wax, dripping hot wax. Why must we use candles when we have my holo-pad?” August complained trying to stop the wax from dripping onto his hand and clothes.

“So the droids won’t detect the radio frequency when you try to use it. By the way.” Madison quickly snatched August’s pad and tossed it in the sewer water.

“Madi!” August fell to his knees as he watched it spark. It was quickly swallowed by the water. August saluted it. “Fallen solider, I give thee the medal of bravery. Who knew the sewer was such a vicious enemy.” August dropped his head.

“Oh please.” Madison just rolled her eyes at August’s antics.

“Will you be able to lead the way without any form of map?” Pierce asked, trying to hide his smile. August was a little much, but he tended to put a smile on everyone’s face.

“Yes.” Like a slow moving train they made it to the first manhole cover. Dust motes were seen in the rays of moonlight coming through the tiny circular holes.

Madison shimmied behind the leader leading through another shaft that contained a ladder built straight into the stone wall. If Pierce didn’t have Madison to lead the way, he would’ve over looked it as just a drop off point into total darkness.

They each put their candles in their mouths as they climb downwards. The temperature slowly dropped the further they went. Finally, Pierce saw the other’s candle circle around. They had reached even ground. The place was uncanny in its quietness.

“How in the world did you find this place, let alone play in it?” Pierce asked. There was no way to tell which way was which. The place just made Pierce very uneasy.