Ruination

09

Madison had her teeth clenched so tightly her jaw was beginning to hurt. She was trying not to jump at every little sound, even though the only real sounds were their feet shuffling along like some lumbering, eight-legged animal. She realized she was gripping Pierce's hand in a death grip and made herself relax, loosening her hold.

"Sorry," she muttered.

"It's all right," he replied, seeming to flinch at how loud he sounded in the darkness. He lowered his voice some more. "None of us want to get lost down here."

"Is that the giant's way of saying he's scared?" August asked from the back of the line.

"Shut up, Oggie," Madison scolded. Pierce snorted quietly.

"Oggie?" he repeated, sounding amused. Madison could practically hear August's scowl through the shadows.

"Don't get cute about it, lumphead. Only Madi is allowed to call me that without getting nut punched."

"Duly noted. Oggie."

Madison bit back a laugh as August cursed and Gency tried to cover his laughter with a feigned coughing fit.

"Remind me to give you a proper nut punch when we get topside," August said primly.

"Be quiet you morons," Madison hissed, rolling her eyes.

"Just get us out of here, Madi."

"Working on it, Oggie," she retorted.

"You are the biggest brat on the face of the earth."

"Second biggest. Now quit whining and be quiet."

She spotted a sliver of light ahead and realized they had reached the next Sector. She climbed up the ladder and pushed hard on the manhole cover. She almost lost her balance under its weight, yelping when her foot slipped and nearly sent her toppling backward. Pierce caught her before she could hit the concrete and brain herself.

"No offense, but maybe someone else should open it," he said as she hopped down. She scowled though he probably couldn't see her face. She could sense August smirking at her from somewhere in the darkness. Just like the first time, Pierce climbed the ladder and heaved the metal cover out of the way, peeking tentatively over the rim.

"Looks all clear," he said in a low voice, boosting himself up. Madison scurried up after him. It was still dark, but the sun was starting to creep its fingertips over the edge of the horizon.

"I think this is Sector 6, but it's hard to tell," she murmured. They all stood still for a few moments, listening for any noise. It was eerily silent.

"Maybe we should look around to try and get our bearings," August suggested. "We need to make sure we're going the right way. It won't do anyone any good if we go the wrong way or bypass the Sector we're looking for."

"He has a point," Gency said.

"At least someone appreciates my genius," August remarked and Gency and Pierce both rolled their eyes. Pierce put the manhole cover back, leaving it just open enough that they could scramble back down in a hurry without having to lug the thing out of place again. The four of them crept stealthily through the streets, ears straining for any noise.

"This is definitely Sector 6," August whispered. "My mom used to drag me to that store right there for clothes when I was younger." He shuddered slightly.

"We're getting close to your dad, then," Madison said, giving Gency a reassuring smile. The worried crease between his brows eased a little. Then they all went still as they heard the sound of heavy footsteps marching up the street. Droids. Pierce pushed on the door of the building they were standing in front of, cursing quietly when he found that it was locked.

"This way," Madison hissed. They bolted to a building across the street and she shimmied up the fire escape ladder quick as a cat. The guys scrambled up after her, Pierce tumbling over the edge of the roof just as the droids marched into view below. They fanned out, checking the buildings along the street.

"Great. Now what do we do?" August whispered sullenly.

"We can wait until they've checked the block and continue on," Gency suggested.

"Unless they don't leave," Pierce replied grimly. It looked like some of the droids were taking up positions at either end of the block with no intention of moving any time soon.

"We're not that far from Sector 5," Madison said. "These buildings are pretty close together. We could jump."

All three of them turned to look at her disbelievingly.

"Who can what now?" Pierce asked.

"It's not that far. If we can just get past the area they're patrolling, we can get to Sector 5 and find your dad, then go underground again."

None of them looked very enthusiastic about her plan, but Madison strode confidently to the edge of the roof. She peeked carefully over to make sure no droids were in position to see her. Then she backed up, darted forward and took a flying leap. She landed on the roof next door and crouched into a roll. She waved at the others, gesturing for them to follow.

August went first, stumbling slightly as he landed. Gency came after him, almost falling under the weight of his pack but righting himself. Pierce hit the roof and toppled onto his side with a quiet grunt. August tried to cover a snort of laughter.

"Graceful," he said and Pierce flipped him off.

"Boys, behave so we can get out of here alive," Madison chided. She turned and crept across the roof to check for droids. Finding the next alley clear, she jumped again, somersaulting onto the slightly lower roof. They continued on like this for a few buildings, hopping along as silently as possible and dodging droids. As they were approaching the edge of Sector 5, Gency's pack finally tripped him up. He launched himself after Madison, but hit the edge of the roof and stumbled. He barely caught himself and Madison sprung forward in alarm to grip his arm and try to haul him up.

Pierce smothered a shout and launched himself over to help her and Madison sucked in a sharp breath when a hulking silhouette slunk into the alley below them.

"What the hell is that?" Pierce muttered.

"I'd rather not find out." Madison helped him tug a white-faced Gency up over the edge of the roof and the creature below them paused and lifted its head. Flat black eyes stared up at them, unblinking. A long muzzle opened to reveal a mouth full of impossibly long teeth and a mottled purple tongue. August cursed before he took a flying leap. The snarling, dead-eyed thing on the ground crouched and jumped up, trying to swat at him with jagged claws; missing his ankle by a hair. He tucked his legs up and slammed hard into the roof, rolling several times before coming to a stop. Madison rushed to check on him while the thing below them let out a guttural roar.

The sound of metal feet pounding concrete echoed through the empty streets and several droids came around the corner. The animal rounded on them, freakishly long paws scrabbling against stone. It let out another roar and lunged, scattering metal droid parts across the ground with one powerful swipe.

"I think it's time to go," August panted as he pushed himself to his feet.

"I think I'm going to have to agree with Oggie," Pierce said. He glanced at Gency, gripping his shoulder. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. Let's just get the hell out of here."

They hopped two more buildings without incident and found themselves passing into Sector 5. They sat on the roof for a few moments, trying to catch their breath.

"You're pretty good at all the jumping and tumbling," Pierce remarked.

"My family performs for the circus in Sector 30," Madison said. "I walk the tightrope and do aerial acrobatics."

"My favorite circus freak," August added.

"It looks all clear down below," Madison said. "Let's go find your dad."