Ebony Chronicles

I Wipe My Brow and Sweat My Rust

I was thirsty... no, parched. But there was no water. I was famished, starving for a meal to eat, but there was no food. Because there was nothing. Nothing but dirt and heat and sweat and the stupid blaring sun.

I ran the back of my hand across my sweaty forehead but to no avail. A new sheet of sweat replaced it almost as quickly as I wiped it away. My back and shoulders burned like fajita chicken on a skillet. I didn’t dare touch them in fear the blisters would pop and peel away, revealing fresh skin for roasting underneath the sun. My feet cracked and bled from walking on the fire hot sand. As soon as I found a boulder with shade I huddled under it, my skin immediately sighing in relief. I was lucky there wasn’t a rattlesnake with me, but I probably would have welcomed it at this point.

I was lost in the middle of the Nevada desert, my only idea as to where I was, was the mushroom cloud still in the sky from the bombing of Las Vegas. I could barely see it now, but it was there. I couldn’t believe the News wasn’t all over this. I didn’t understand why there weren’t any rescue teams or investigators.

As I thought this I heard the familiar whirring of blades in the air. I looked up and there it was, a helicopter. It was heading straight for the pillar of smoke that was once a fabulous city. I couldn’t tell if it was a news channel or some department of the government, but it didn’t matter. It was a helicopter and it could get me out of this burning hellhole.

Without another thought, I bolted from my shade and ran towards the fallen city. I didn’t think about the heat or the distance… I didn’t care. I was going to be saved. I was going to live.

It wasn’t long until I collapsed under complete exhaustion. My knees wobbled and gave out. I tumbled down a tall dune, sand engulfing my eyes and mouth and ears. It was everywhere, but I couldn’t stop myself from falling until the sudden thud at the end. The edges of my vision were black and the last thing I saw before losing consciousness were three more helicopters flying in from the horizon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapters do get longer I promise :)