Peter Pan

I wear my pain like stilettos

... 3 Years Later


I walk into 50 Yard Line and my ears are instantly greeted by Goodbye Forever by Volbeat playing in the background, barely audible over the bar goers watching various sporting events that we have playing this evening. It took 3 years but this bar finally got to be something. I couldn't be prouder of my big brother for following his dreams. At least one of us gets to be fulfilled; I’m still struggling with what I want with my life. My marketing degree is getting dusty as I shit around with my life. Right now I’m still where I was seven years ago; bartending.

“They’ll give anyone a TV show nowadays.” Carl, one of my regulars, says as he points to the TV above me. I crank my neck up just in time to see the tail end of the commercial that’s promoting a dating show; Catching Kelce. “He’s such a good tight end, why the hell does he need a TV show.”

“Because he’s an attention whore.” I mutter to myself as I throw my purse under the bar before fill a pint of beer for myself. That’s one of the perks of the job. A pint of Stella Artois per shift makes my night better.

“Apparently Jason is appearing on the show as well.” My brother Frankie says as he walks closer to us. “He thinks his brother is an idiot for doing this.”

“Travis has always been an idiot if you ask me.” I shrug. “It doesn’t take a dating show to prove it.”

“Bitter much?” Frankie chuckles.

“He’s talking about wanting to settle down and find that girl that can handle his lifestyle, he had this opportunity 3 years ago.” I argue. “So yea, I’m bitter. I was madly in love with this fucker and he leaves me. His head was so far up in the clouds he couldn’t see what was in front of him. Now he’s looking for it? I pity those girls. They have no idea what kind of guy they are throwing themselves at.”

“Relax will you?” Frankie looks at me with his concerned brother look plastered over this face. “Perri, you’re better off without him. You don’t need a guy like that in your life.”

“I still question myself when it comes to him.” I sigh. “Why wasn’t I good enough, Frankie?” My voice cracks causing my brother to pull me into a hug.

“You don’t need a shitball like him,” I hear Carl says, causing me into smile into my brother’s chest. “He’s only looking for a trophy wife; nothing serious. You’re the type of girl that you bring home to mom and dad and marry because you are his equal. He’s not looking for a girl like that one a dating show.”

I pull away from my brother and smile at Carl, “this is why you’re my favorite. Let me get you another me.” I tell him as I get out a new frosted glass and fill it up with Bud Light. “Maryanne is a lucky woman, let me tell you.”

“I’ll let her know you said that.” He chuckles as I put his beer down in front of him. “Don’t let guys like Travis Kelce make your cry; he’s a good football player but that doesn’t mean he’s worth your tears.”

“So are we going to watch that shit?” Frankie asks me. “You know making fun of Travis will make you feel better.”

“It’ll just piss me off even more.” I tell him. “And like Carl said, he’s not worth it. But maybe we can just watch the first episode. Comparing myself to the idiots throwing themselves at him will make me feel better about myself.”

“There’s my baby sister,” Frankie laughs. “Good to have you back from your brief meltdown.” I just roll my eyes before throwing a rag at my brother as I go off and do my job… not once thinking about Travis Kelce for the rest of the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Perri

comment&subscribe?

Still looking for characters if you are interested!