A Realm Apart

Alice and Violet Go Grocery Shopping

Alice drove recklessly. It was exhilarating. Forks looked very green and very wet through the car windows. It reminded me of spring in northern Illinois. Alice prompted me for musical preferences as soon as we got into her car. She suggested pop music and I suggested early 90’s R&B. Now, I was in awe of Alice knowing every word to The Fugee’s “Killing me Softly.”
“What kind of music does Bella usually listen to?” I asked, hoping Bella’s iPod would be any fun to use.
“Bella rarely listened to music,” Alice answered. “When she did, it was mostly classical, indie rock music or sad sounding things.”
I laughed. “Not your taste?”
“I prefer something you can dance to!”
I smiled. Alice and I had more things in common than I originally thought when reading the Twilight books. “Me, too.”
We arrived at the grocery store not a moment too soon. My stomach felt hollow and my head starting to feel light from food withdrawal. Alice grabbed a cart and led the way into the store. My eyes were too busy scanning the aisles to see that Alice had stopped. Being so much taller than her, I assumed bumping into her would cause her to trip forward. Instead, what actually occurred was my body meeting hers and my body then falling backwards onto my ass. She looked behind her to see me on the ground, “Are you okay?”
“Yeah, sorry! Why did you stop?”
“Charlie’s here.” She whispered.
It took a moment for me to remember who Charlie was to Bella. “Bella’s dad is here?” I anxiously questioned. “Maybe we should go and come back after he’s left.” I knew I’d have to meet Bella’s dad at some point. I just wanted to mentally prepare for the situation.
“Too late! He already saw us.” Alice said while waving back at Charlie, who was now headed towards us.
“Do we tell him everything here?”
“No! Charlie will think you’re on drugs!” She scolded me through clenched teeth. “Just pretend you’re Bella.”
I stood up, “Okay. Pretend like I have no personality. Got it.” She shot a glare at me as punishment for my jab at Bella. I secretly think she agreed with me. “Sup, dad?” I greeted. Alice elbowed me. “I didn’t know you were shopping today.”
“I go grocery shopping every Saturday, Bells,” Charlie responded.
Well I fucked this up quicker than I thought I would. “Oh, right! I thought today was Sunday. My mistake.”
“You feeling okay? You slept in pretty late this morning.” Charlie searched my face, looking for any signs of illness.
“I had a few nightmares that kept me up pretty late last night,” I answered, remembering Bella’s active nocturnal imagination. “I needed a few extra hours this morning.”
Charlie seemed satisfied enough with my answer. “I’m making dinner tonight,” He spoke to Alice. “Feel free to join us.”
I looked to Alice. I knew she’d probably feel uncomfortable eating with us (seeing as how she didn’t eat) but I couldn’t pretend to be Bella without someone there supporting the lie. I hoped my glare conveyed the message. “I’d love to,” she said reluctantly. My shoulders dropped in relief.
“Well, I’m helping Alice pick out a few things and then we’ll be home for dinner.” I said as I slowly started backing away. Charlie waved goodbye and walked out of the store. “Yikes, this is going to be harder than I thought.”
“The less interaction you have with Charlie the better. He’ll never be able to understand any of this.” Alice said as we walked through the aisles. She started grabbing groceries and placing them into the cart. I subtly saw that pattern of her purchases, which was choosing anything with a cute package. There were a few key items I had hoped to purchase.
“I need to buy razors. Bella’s leg hair is out of control.”
Alice threw back her head in laughter, “I know! It makes it impossible to get her into a dress.”
I opened the bag of kale chips Alice had placed in the cart and started to eat. The saltiness was exactly what I needed. I walked over to the hot bar, grabbed the largest container, and filled it with mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. “Earl grey tea, hot sauce, Pinot Grigio and mint chocolate chip ice cream are the only things I really want,” I said out loud, trying to not forget anything.
“Well since you can’t be at your place very much with Charlie, I’ll keep all of this other stuff at my house,” Alice offered. I didn’t say anything. I was still nervous. There were seven vampires in the Cullen home and half of them I hadn’t met yet. Alice noticed my hesitance. “You’re more nervous than Bella was meeting us.”
“I am,” I confessed. “I don’t normally put myself in situations where I can’t protect myself. All of you are so strong and fast.”
“We would never hurt you, Violet,” Alice said sincerely. “I think you’re funny and very honest. I don’t have many friends and I want you to be one of mine! Edward will try to get to know you after his initial frustrations dissolve.”
“What about your mom? Jasper, Emmett, and Rosalie?”
“Well Jasper and Emmett will love your candor! Rosalie might be a little threatened. You’re much more dominant than Bella.”
I was warming up to the idea of meeting the rest of the Cullen clan. I was curious to see what they were like in person. “Thanks for helping me and also believing me.”
“This is an unfortunate situation but I’m glad that Bella’s hosting such a kind soul,” Alice kindly placed her hand on top of mine. I was also glad that in this hell, I had Alice.
“Oh shit.” I huffed.
“What!” Alice said nervously looking around for enemies.
“Don’t I have an early curfew for running away to Italy?” I asked annoyed. I was twenty-two and grounded. What had my life come to?
She lightly patted my shoulder, “Don’t do that!” I laughed. “Oh right. Just say you’re with Jacob.”
“Oh, right! Bella’s werewolf friend.” I mused audibly.
“Charlie likes him, so we’ll use him as your alibi.”
“Good plan.”
Alice purchased my treats and revealed the bottle of Pinot Grigio she stealthily stole. “I feel bad stealing,” Alice admitted, “But we’re both technically underage.” Alice was really pulling at my heartstrings. She was a badass. We headed back to the Cullen house to drop everything off. On the drive back, I showed her my extensive familiarity with Nicki Minaj lyrics. The light in the sky was finally turning black as we pulled into the garage of Alice’s home, Edward waiting inside. He opened the car door before Alice could park.
“Where were you?” He questioned, obviously pissed. I was terrified.
“We went to get food,” I answered meekly.
“Edward, you’re scaring the poor girl!” Alice scolded. “She hadn’t eaten all day and she needed a few things that Bella probably didn’t have.” She moved from her side of the car to mine in a blink of an eye, placing herself between Edward and me.
“I could have taken her, Alice.” Edward reasoned. “At the very least, you could have told me where you were. I called both of you.”
“I didn’t know I had a phone,” I interjected. I was clearly ignored.
“I left the phone in the car, Edward. Besides, you ran off with Carlisle and didn’t tell either one of us where you went.” Edward didn’t respond. Instead they just looked at each other. I assumed they were using their gifts to communicate to conceal the rest of their conversation from me. How rude.
“I’ll see you tonight, Violet. We can’t leave you alone,” Edward finally spoke. “Just leave your bedroom window unlocked.”
I nodded. I was too afraid to speak. Pissed off Edward was scary. The idea of Victoria killing me in my sleep was also scary. “Are you ready to meet the rest of us?” Alice asked, distracting me from my fears.
“Yeah, I’m ready.”
I wasn’t ready.
The rest of the Cullen’s were sitting in the living room. Emmett was resting his head in Rosalie’s lap, as she stroked his hair. They were truly a beautiful couple. Esme and Carlisle were sitting across from each other in separate love seats reading the same book. Jasper looked to have just walked in the room, as he found a quick seat on the arm of the couch next to Emmett and Rosalie.
Emmett’s head lifted from Rosalie’s embrace, “Do you need help with your groceries?”
“Sure,” I awkwardly agreed. In a blink, Emmett had grabbed the bags out of my hands and placed them in the kitchen.
“This is so odd,” Esme spoke. “I feel like I’m introducing myself to the same person twice.”
“This has been a pretty odd day, but it’s nice to meet you! I’m Violet.” Esme opened her arms and I happily accepted her embrace. “Wow, you’re in great shape!” I exclaimed. She truly was in great shape! She felt so firm and toned.
They all laughed, Emmett’s giggles being the loudest. “Thank you, Violet!”
“She seems a little more lively, Edward. Maybe you should just keep her,” Rosalie mocked. Emmett, who had returned from the kitchen, wrapped his arm around her neck. I assumed this was to rein her in.
“Don’t mind Rosalie,” Jasper advised. “She’s all bark and no bite.”
“I would hope so,” I responded. Truthfully. The Cullen’s chuckled and the atmosphere in the room grew a little more comfortable. They all seemed so human. The indoor lighting made their pale skin look warmer and more alive. “It was nice meeting you all. I think I have to go, unfortunately. Charlie’s made dinner, so—“
“Actually, Charlie burnt dinner. He’ll be calling in a moment to ask you to pick something up. Just say you’ll be staying for dinner here,” Alice announced.
“Great,” I said. Untruthfully. “I think I’ll have that Pinot Grigio now.”
Emmett snickered, “Awesome! New Bella’s a partier!”
“I think after the day I’ve had, I deserve the whole bottle,” I confessed as I took a gulp of the wine Alice had quickly poured, “Vampires don’t drink wine, right?”
“We drink red blends only,” Jasper joked. Alice gave him a playful disapproving look.
“Can vampires do drugs?” It was something I was always curious about. Having an infinite life and not being able to get high seemed like a miserable existence.
“I wish,” Emmett answered. “Edward and I tried to eat mushrooms and we ended up having to regurgitate them.”
“Bummer.” I looked over to Edward who had been quiet since I began introducing myself. “I wouldn’t have guessed you’d be interested in hallucinogenic.”
Edward cracked a small smirk. “It was the sixties. Everyone tried psychedelics once.”
“So where did you go this afternoon?” I tried to ask casually, taking another large gulp of wine.
“Carlisle and I started doing some research on body swapping folklore,” He responded.
“Unfortunately, it all sounded like bullshit,” Carlisle interjected.
The wine was making my stomach feel very acidic. I still hadn’t eaten and the alcohol was going straight to my head. I typically would have kept my composure, but the circumstances enabled the tears to start rushing out of my eyes.
“Violet, it’ll be okay!” Alice rushed over and placed her arms around me.
“I’m just don’t know what we’re going to do! I just want to go home,” I sobbed.
Edward pushed Alice away and swiftly lifted me into his arms. He ran up the stairs and placed me gently on the couch in what I guessed was his room. “Would you like me to leave you alone for a moment?” He asked.
“Can I ask you something?” He nodded. “Do you resent me for all of this?”
He sat beside me, “No,” Edward stared out of the window. “It’s just…when I look at you, I see the woman that I’m in love with. It’s hard to accept that even though she’s physically here, she’s not here.” I nodded. “But I have been cold to you. I haven’t introduced myself.”
“I know who you are.”
“All the same,” he stuck out his hand. “I’m Edward Cullen.”
I took his hand, “I’m Violet.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello, my darlings!

Please feel free to subscribe/comment/recommend!

Lots of love,

DMD