Status: Okay so, this is going to be chaptered, I will update this as much as I can but it rely's on your guy's comments!!

Fake It 'Til You Make It

TWO

That night, the four adults ate dinner that Alex had prepared for them. He had received numerous compliments from everyone who ate the food; his mother even complimented his cooking skills and yeah, that felt good for Alex considering his mom was the biggest critic when it came to food.

His parents were settled in Alex’s lounge as he worked away at the dirty dishes, his clean-freak mind getting the better of them as he tried to relax. His theory was, if he gets it done now, he can sleep easy and there is less work to do tomorrow. He was halfway through scrubbing a pan when he felt a large, warm hand settle at the small of his back. The male bit back a shriek, the hand making him jump out of his skin.

“What are you doing, asshole!” Alex yelped when he turned and saw Jack smirking at him.

“What? Can’t I show my boyfriend some affection?” Jack teased, laughing as he turned to stand next to Alex, his body slumping against the counter.

“You don’t have to act when my parents aren't around, Jack.” Alex huffed, rolling his eyes at Jack before continuing with the dishes.

“I’m having fun!” Jack declared. “It’s like I’m a secret agent on mission, undercover, trying to get information from the enemies.” He chuckled, his mind racing with childish thoughts.

“You’re such a child!” Alex let out a soft laugh, shaking his head at Jack’s words.

Jack didn’t say a word, he simply dipped his hand into the soapy bubbles and swiped the wet foam across Alex’s face causing him to yelp and push at Jack’s chest. “Child!” Alex whined before mimicking Jack’s actions and doing the same. The two men were reduced to damp, giggling messes, only stopping when Isobel stood in the doorway.

“Oh, sorry to interrupt you lovebirds!” She chimed. “We’re just heading off to bed now, all the travelling has tired us out. Do you mind if I just make a tea to take in with me?” She asked as she flicked the kettle on, ignoring the request and going straight ahead with it.

“Y-yeah, sure, sorry mom; Jack is being childish.” Alex said, his breath catching as he finished laughing, his mom’s back was turned to him and he couldn’t resist shooting a look to Jack and sticking his tongue out.

“You two are so cute!” Isobel hummed, ignoring the childish chat as she poured boiling water into the mug. “It’s so lovely to see Alex so happy, Jack. Thank you for making that happen. We never thought it would have happened and with such a charming young man.” Isobel’s voice was light and soft, happiness oozing from every word she spoke.

Alex blushed, he felt bad lying to his parents but this is exactly why he did it; for his parent’s happiness.

“Well, Isobel, I must say a huge thank you to yourself and Peter for raising such a lovely guy. He couldn’t treat me any better than he does. I’m basically a king in his eyes.” Jack said, sticking his middle finger up at Alex in retaliation, Isobel’s back still turned and oblivious to their behaviour.

“You’re so sweet!” Isobel said, going over to Jack and giving him a gentle kiss to his cheek. “It’s been lovely to meet you tonight, please say you’re joining us for lunch tomorrow? Alex is taking us out and we’re spending the day together.”

“Uh-“ Jack mumbled but before the situation could progress into awkwardness Alex was there wrapping an arm around Jack’s waist.

“No, sorry mom, Jack has some work to do tomorrow, he’s teaching a couple of kids guitar, his boss asked him and someone’s hoping it’ll help with that promotion he wants.” Alex spoke quickly, Jack did have work to do and he did play guitar but Alex wasn’t exactly telling the straight truth.

“Someone wants me to make more money so I can take him on holiday.” Jack jested, Alex frowned at the male and Jack counted to ten in his head before he ducked his head down and pressed a soft kiss to Alex’s mouth. It was gentle and Jack couldn’t help but notice that it felt nice; it felt too natural. “Isn’t that right, baby?”

“Ha, you got me right. How can I let this promised trip to Hawaii slip?” Alex teased, the lies coming easy and the kiss coming easier.

Isobel stayed and chatted to the boys for a little while longer, before she kissed them both and bid them a good night. There was silence in the kitchen for a little while after, Alex was busy with the dishes and Jack sat there, watching him as he worked away with the plates.

“Sorry about butting in and basically uninviting you from lunch, I just figured you’d be busy and could definitely do without having a boring lunch in your life…” Alex said, making himself a tea once he finished washing and drying the dishes.

“It’s fine, I know you only did it because your mind went into meltdown and panicked a little too much. I kinda thought you would do that anyway.” Jack shrugged, smiling softly at his best friend before standing and straightening his back with a yawn. “Bedtime?” Jack smirked.

“I hate how much you’re enjoying this, dude.” Alex huffed, blowing into his mug before sipping the hot, comforting liquid. “Like, this is all normal but you’re so happy about it.”

“How could I not be happy when I have you as my pretend boyfriend.” Jack grinned, his voice edged with sarcasm, following closely behind Alex as he switched the lights off in his apartment.

“Just so you know, I am actually the best boyfriend anyone could ever ask for.” Alex said proudly, placing his mug down and peeling back his duvet, ready for them to get into bed. “I treat my boyfriends with the upmost respect and affection, and Jack, I’ll have you know, you should be happy to be my pretend boyfriend.” Alex spoke, peeling his t-shirt off himself and tugging his tight jeans down his legs before getting into bed.

Jack simply watched Alex as he spoke and removed his clothes before he realised he was staring at his friend. He let out a low cough, clearing his throat before he followed suit and got into bed next to Alex. “Whatever, I bet you’re the worst boyfriend, I bet all you do is bitch and moan when they don’t give you enough attention. You do that to me already, that’s how I know so don’t you dare try and argue with me here, ‘Lex.”

Alex huffed to himself and pouted his lips, getting under the duvet further and rolling over so his back faced Jack. “Whatever, goodnight, asshole. Please don’t wake me when you get up for work.” Alex mumbled, closing his eyes, suddenly feeling a whole lot more tired than he did just two minutes ago.

“Where’s my kiss?” Jack teased, resting his chin onto Alex’s shoulder. “I can’t go to sleep until I get a kiss from my boyfriend.”

“We’re acting, and we don’t have to act right now. Get off my and go to sleep.” Alex grumbled, his voice quiet as he squeezed his eyes shut, ignoring the younger boy that was leaning on him.

“Exactly, I’m doing you a favour here, the least you could do was kiss me, just one little peck and I will go to sleep. If not I’ll get out of bed and go tell yo-” Jack’s moaning was cut short by Alex turning over to press a quick kiss to Jack’s lips.

It was nothing, it meant nothing, just a little bit of fun but Alex noticed the way his stomach flipped and his hands shook as he kissed his best friend. He did not like that, not one little bit. He didn’t need this, this was only meant to be pretend.

“Goodnight, Jack.” Alex mumbled, rolling back over and bringing the duvet up to his chin.

Jack smiled to himself, smug that he got Alex to kiss him. It was weird for him, Jack didn't think he was gay; not he ever questioned his sexuality in much depth, he just didn't think he was attracted to boys. Although, deep down, he always knew he had a soft spot for Alex. Jack let himself sink lower into the bed and faced towards Alex’s back, letting his arm snake around the older boy’s waist.

Alex would argue that he was too tried to protest the cuddling and it most definitely did not have anything to do with the fact he was actually enjoying the feeling of having Jack right there with him. Definitely not, Alex didn’t cuddle with anyone, ever. Even with past partners, Alex didn’t enjoy the way limbs would tangle together and they would end up pressed together during the night. It was fine in Alex’s eyes, this was all pretend.
♠ ♠ ♠
OKAY!! I'm so sorry this took too long to update, basically, I got a new job and got all new furniture for my room so I've been sorting my life out a little bit since I first posted this!

If it gets a good reception, I'll definitely continue. I really do appreciate all the comments and feedback so far! Feedback and constructive criticism is great for me because I'm still getting back into the swing of writing so help is fab!

Sorry this chapter kinda sucks, I know where I wanna go with this fic, I just don't wanna rush it too much...

Much love and please comment <3